Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see how the back six goes with Burgoyne likely to play forward and Hardwick out now.

Scrimshaw, Jiath, Sicily and the addition of Frost, it’s an inexperienced backline compared to last year.

It will be interesting to see how the back six goes with Burgoyne likely to play forward and Hardwick out now.

Scrimshaw, Jiath, Sicily and the addition of Frost, it’s an inexperienced backline compared to last year.
Yeah I worry about a lack of synergy going into the season proper. As a rule you don't want to chop and change your back six too often

Yeah I worry about a lack of synergy going into the season proper. As a rule you don't want to chop and change your back six too often

Fortunately/unfortunately, overlap and run and knowing eachothers tendencies to create counter attack from the backline has been a very small part of how we exit defense the last few years.
We tend to spend more effort trying to spot targets by foot, side to side and with small thrusts upfield until that slightly more open teammate can find space for a receiving kick.
The strength down back is commitment to shape, to keeping close to an opponent, to spoil strongly, to be unwavering with focus, and to use the footskills of a few to gain an advantage.
Hardwick is more Stratton than Sicily, great lock down and smart, but no Impey with dash or Sic with scything foot.
Midfield is where we will win or lose in the early rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fortunately/unfortunately, overlap and run and knowing eachothers tendencies to create counter attack from the backline has been a very small part of how we exit defense the last few years.
We tend to spend more effort trying to spot targets by foot, side to side and with small thrusts upfield until that slightly more open teammate can find space for a receiving kick.
The strength down back is commitment to shape, to keeping close to an opponent, to spoil strongly, to be unwavering with focus, and to use the footskills of a few to gain an advantage.
Hardwick is more Stratton than Sicily, great lock down and smart, but no Impey with dash or Sic with scything foot.
Midfield is where we will win or lose in the early rounds.
Hardwick has the highest d.e. of anyone in our back 6, his footskills are a massive loss. Yes, he mightn't bite off as much as a player like Sicily does with raking 55 m passes but his ability to pick the right option and hit them 9 times out of 10 will be glaringly absent.

Hardwick has the highest d.e. of anyone in our back 6, his footskills are a massive loss. Yes, he mightn't bite off as much as a player like Sicily does with raking 55 m passes but his ability to pick the right option and hit them 9 times out of 10 will be glaringly absent.
Agree. As much as I want to enjoy CJ's athleticism there will be a price to pay while he gains experience and composure.

Look, want to make it clear I reeeeaaally like the kid.
But, he averages just under 10 kicks and 6 handballs a game.
It's damn good we feel comfortable and assured with the footy in his hand about to drop on to the boot, but lets not pretend he's Andy McLeod averaging 25+ possies a game and devastating other teams with his play.
Don't think the oppo put ANY time at all looking at how to minimize his offensive ability, however would spend a heap of time trying to work out how to get their player some free space when being covered by BH.
He's shut down and I love that, but until he learns to leave his opponent when he senses we have the ball and run himself ragged becoming an option to get it back upfield, his play is what it is.

Edit: Oh, and to add, he's an absolutely terrific mark in space and when having to read it and intercept or compete with others who have more size, though we saw alot more of it in his first few seasons than we have recently.....

Keen to see how a more full strength side goes executing the fast, new game plan.

Also be interesting to see McEvoy down back after a pre-season of training there.

Hopefully Maginness plays well and can put his hand up for selection. Another game for Patton, Mitchell and Scully will be good for their preparation.

Already without Gunston, Hardwick, Howe and Impey for Round 1.

I think Scrimshaw and Jiath will both play Round 1 as they aren’t vying for the same spot. If anything it’s Scrimshaw vs Morrison who are competing for the other half back flank spot.

Hopefully Maginness plays well and can put his hand up for selection. Another game for Patton, Mitchell and Scully will be good for their preparation.

Already without Gunston, Hardwick, Howe and Impey for Round 1.

I think Scrimshaw and Jiath will both play Round 1 as they aren’t vying for the same spot. If anything it’s Scrimshaw vs Morrison who are competing for the other half back flank spot.
I doubt it will go this way, but I reckon we need to play our strongest 22 and try and build as much cohesion coming into the start of the season. Let's see.

MARSH 2 SQUAD
Hawthorn v Melbourne
UTAS Stadium
7.40pm.

B:
Ben Stratton, James Frawley, James Sicily
HB: Sam Frost, Ben McEvoy, Isaac Smith
C: Harry Morrison, Chad Wingard, Tom Scully
HF: Paul Puopolo, Mitch Lewis, Jaeger O’Meara
F: Luke Breust, Jonathon Patton, Oliver Hanrahan
Foll: Jonathon Ceglar, Tom Mitchell, James Worpel
I/C: Jack Scrimshaw, Shaun Burgoyne, Conor Nash, Liam Shiels, Changkuoth Jiath, James Cousins, Damon Greaves, Conor Glass
Emer: Michael Hartley, Emerson Jeka, Tim O’Brien, Harrison Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back