Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we know how to develop midfielders.

The pile of mids who start promisingly but hit the skids in year 3 is growing.

All we seem to be able to do is cobble together a bunch of 26+ year olds and throw them in there and hope for the best.

Even the likes of Greenwood and Brad Crouch got better when they went to other clubs.
I think we can develop OK, what we stink at is finding any points of difference with the midfielders we draft. It's generally a heavy focus on contest, tackling and endurance. Those are the 3 big things you always hear Hamish bang on about, "loves the contest and can run all day" type things he throws out. It's not 1985 anymore, you need players to be more dynamic and varied around the ball.

I don't think we know how to develop midfielders.

The pile of mids who start promisingly but hit the skids in year 3 is growing.

All we seem to be able to do is cobble together a bunch of 26+ year olds and throw them in there and hope for the best.

Even the likes of Greenwood and Brad Crouch got better when they went to other clubs.

I went back and had a look at how some teams have been playing the best young midfielders in the league

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 65% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 71% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 66% CBAs
Fourth Season - Avg. 82% CBAs

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 55% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 54% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 80% CBAs

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 18% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 48% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 71% CBAs
Fourth Season - Avg. 71% CBAs

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022
First Season - Avg. 42% CBAs

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022
First Season - Avg. 48% CBAs

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022
First Season - Avg. 44% CBAs

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 6% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 35% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 63% CBAs
Fourth Season - Avg. 54% CBAs

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018
(No stats for 2019 season)
Second Season - Avg. 62% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 29% CBAs

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 40% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 41% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 58% CBAs
Fourth Season - Avg. 83% CBAs

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019
First Season - Avg. 4% CBAs

So across most of these players they were averaging at least 40% CBAs by their second season. The only exception I could find to this were the Port Adelaide pair in Rozee and Butters who took four years to hit those numbers, and Will Day at Hawthorn.

Now let's look at Adelaide

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021
Second Season - Avg. 23% CBAs

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021
First Season - Avg. 15% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 19% CBAs

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020
First Season - Avg. 20% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 34% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 49% CBAs
Fourth Season - Avg. 32% CBAs.

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020
First Two Injury Affected Seasons - Avg. 0% CBAs
Third Season - Avg. 13% CBAs

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021
First Season - Avg. 16% CBAs
Second Season - Avg. 66% CBAs
Third Season - Plays mostly in the SANFL

So across our five most promising young midfielders we've given just one of them enough midfield time, that being Sam Berry, who we then decided to play SANFL most of his third year

Meanwhile we've spent two first round picks on midfielders and the best we can do is offer 23% CBA time to Rachele in his second year, and 13% midfield time to Pedlar in his third year.

Schoenberg we decided to build his midfield time up to 49% CBAs in this third year, then reduced his midfield time the following year

Does this look like "good development"? I'd say it doesn't

Interesting post :thumbsupv1:
This coach blew a great start to the season by failing to trust the kids who got us to 7-6 at the break, bringing back the old guard and going 4-6 and dropping out of the 8.
I don't know if that was a reliance upon, or belief in, "the old guard". The younger players might have run out of puff getting to 7-6, but Nicks would never declare that.
Still, I agree that Nicks made some odd selections around that time when there was a chance to give some players a two-week break by resting them for the WC game.
Taken in isolation, Crouch is a decent AFL mid with a definite role to play. The issue is no club needs 3 of him. We have Crouch, Laird and Berry as the understudy. You could argue that Pedlar is a more dynamic version as well. So why do we need Crouch?
Well, he's definitely using the ball better, especially wrt setting teammates up to advantage instead of panic-handball to a player a metre away, or to their feet or behind them. His composure, pausing/looking, and kicking to a target are better, too.
Pedlar is "a more dynamic" version of him but lacks the stamina.
Rankine has the tank and deserves more time as a mid.
Crouch might be insurance (+ a leading example of how to train etc) now that Rankine and Jones and Schoenberg are injured but in that case a year extension would probably suffice. Maybe Nicks et al believe Crouch has really re-defined himself (in some ways like Tex did) and are hoping for big things in 2024/25?
There isn't an argument anyone can make that will convince me that the Crows have any idea what the * they're doing.
I agree that a lot of the Selections during the year and the re-signing of Sloane have been odd, to say the least.There's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff going on that we'll never know about.
We have reverted back to the mean two years on from the full club review, we will always be "making the 8 and seeing what happens", we will always provide great moments, great wins and we will always be found wanting when the whips are cracking.
I'm ok with the Crouch re-signing, but Sloan'e retention is strange. He's cooked but must add something that's not clear to us.
If your "always" comments prove to be true in 2024 then we're going nowhere. We're just going to have to wait and see.

Congrats to Matt on another contract.

But it does feel like Groundhog day.
How many times do we need to keep doing the same thing and getting the same result, before seeing that we need to make a change.

I wish the club could make the hard decisions just occasionally, be it list management or the coaches

I went back and had a look at how some teams have been playing the best young midfielders in the league

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019

So across most of these players they were averaging at least 40% CBAs by their second season. The only exception I could find to this were the Port Adelaide pair in Rozee and Butters who took four years to hit those numbers, and Will Day at Hawthorn.

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021

So across our five most promising young midfielders we've given just one of them enough midfield time, that being Sam Berry, who we then decided to play SANFL most of his third year

Meanwhile we've spent two first round picks on midfielders and the best we can do is offer 23% CBA time to Rachele in his second year, and 13% midfield time to Pedlar in his third year.

Schoenberg we decided to build his midfield time up to 49% CBAs in this third year, then reduced his midfield time the following year

Great work, waiting for the but but but Adelaide but but but excuse excuse excuse Nicks is awesome posts.

Let's see... played him at half forward for a season, then played him in the middle and he does very well in his second season (league high tackles wasn't it) then gets dropped after 3 games year 3, never to be played again.

And now he is behind Laird and ******* Crouch to win a spot back. I can guarantee you that wasn't the development path he was sold when he got drafted. I hope he leaves and finds success at another club, because we have ****ed him over.
+

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021

Re: Berry of whom I expected big things this year --- I have no idea what happened to him. He looked like he was ahead of Schoenberg (whose defensive efforts were weak) + Berry's tackling was elite.
Maybe the work that Burgess has put into him took the edge off and he'll bounce back next year?

Re: Rachele, who's an enigma to me, @1.79m and 84Kgs he looks and plays like a talented small forward to me. However, he can be selfish in general play and a bit of a lair, both aspects should improve with age.
Can anyone please explain why people tout him as a mid?

Which makes you wonder if we need to trade in another genuine mid (regardless of age) who can actually teach our younger guys the ropes
The Club is all ready paying VB to do exactly that.
I think that's the problem wrt to mids' development, right there.

Also, we have now locked out our midfield of new players. Crouch can only play on ball. Same with Laird (we could send him back but we need good ball users back there). Sloane is a certainty to chew up some midfield minutes, and Dawson is rightly a lock.
Yes, with Schoenberg injured they've committed now to Dawson, Crouch and Laird, with Soligo/Pedlar/Rankine and maybe Rachele "to be developed" but it's hard to see that happening with Sloane high up in the pecking order and the first three getting most mid-minutes.
It's a mess. Where do Schoenberg (when fit again) and Berry fit in?
The only way to get time into the younger players mentioned is to put Laird @ half-back where he played really well as a rebounder, use Sloane as an Emergency or sub, or @ half-forward, which would free up a spot for the kids to rotate through.
Nothing against Crouch, when in form he is better than Laird and more dynamic, but our mix is all wrong unless Sloane doesn't play.
That contract to Sloane is a list disaster. He's been a great player for the Club but he's past his use-by date. His comments about being a better player 2 years after an ACL and for more years after that are self-delusional and not good for the team.
I'm really surprised he didn't retire of his own volition and even more surprised the Club didn't retire him. Maybe he thinks he can do a Tex and have his best year in 2024, but I can't see it. Hope I'm wrong.

TBH i'm not particularly one way or the other with this signing. What i'm most surprised about is why Matt made the decision to stay here.

Surely he had better opportunities and offers? He did well when he finally played this year. But you know the moment we stop playing well, he's going to be the first one criticised and likely dropped again.

Hell, he still gets criticised when he's lighting it up and the teams winning by 10+ goals.

Just an odd decision by him IMO. I genuinely thought a fresh start was a 100% lock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021

100,000 times this.

Congrats to Matt on another contract.

But it does feel like Groundhog day.
How many times do we need to keep doing the same thing and getting the same result, before seeing that we need to make a change.

I wish the club could make the hard decisions just occasionally, be it list management or the coaches
Anzacpaul How are you able to do the 100 reaction? What's your secret?

TBH i'm not particularly one way or the other with this signing. What i'm most surprised about is why Matt made the decision to stay here.

Surely he had better opportunities and offers? He did well when he finally played this year. But you know the moment we stop playing well, he's going to be the first one criticised and likely dropped again.

Hell, he still gets criticised when he's lighting it up and the teams winning by 10+ goals.

Just an odd decision by him IMO. I genuinely thought a fresh start was a 100% lock.
Sounds like he and his wife are set up in Adelaide, if he's got a 2 year deal vs a 3 year deal you would definitely need to evaluate that as pros/cons, especially on is it really worth moving. Especially on things like the CoL increase to move from Adelaide to Sydney for example, especially if you don't plan on staying in Sydney permanently like you might in Adelaide.

One thing that doesn't seem to have changed is Matt's belief in himself and his ability to get himself back into the 22 even if he's on the outer.

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021

Rachele, Soligo and Pedlar will have another preseason and if Nicks doesn't continue to play them next season even if their form is shit like what happened to Berry and Schoenberg (until late in the season) then that will not be "good development" as clearly these 3 are more talented then Berry and Schoenberg and have the potential to be the elite midfield group for the future.

+

Re: Berry of whom I expected big things this year --- I have no idea what happened to him. He looked like he was ahead of Schoenberg (whose defensive efforts were weak) + Berry's tackling was elite.
Maybe the work that Burgess has put into him took the edge off and he'll bounce back next year?

Re: Rachele, who's an enigma to me, @1.79m and 84Kgs he looks and plays like a talented small forward to me. However, he can be selfish in general play and a bit of a lair, both aspects should improve with age.
Can anyone please explain why people tout him as a mid?
Rachele transition there in the first 8 weeks of the season and looked excellent with his field kicking and in tight decision making and somehow he seem to chase and tackle a lot more playing in the midfield. Did quite a few impressive chase down tackles.

You should have listened to what he was saying.

Caleb Serong
Drafted - 2019

Matt Rowell
Drafted - 2019

Noah Anderson
Drafted - 2019

Will Ashcroft
Drafted - 2022

George Wardlaw
Drafted - 2022

Reuben Ginbey
Drafted - 2022

Chad Warner
Drafted - 2019

Bailey Smith
Drafted - 2018

Tom Green
Drafted - 2019

Nick Daicos
Drafted - 2019

Josh Rachele
Drafted - 2021

Jake Soligo
Drafted - 2021

Harry Schoenberg
Drafted - 2020

Luke Pedlar
Drafted - 2020

Sam Berry
Drafted - 2021

The Berry one is the real head scratcher. Gave him the most responsibility then went naaah, back to sanfl for you.

Very important signing. If we're going to stop being an up-and-coming team and move into premiership contention during the next few years, he has an important role to play.
I thought he was done, but I agree.

He can be a very useful part of a quality midfield - IF we get the balance the right.
Crouch + Dawson + Soligo = TICK
Crouch + Dawson + Rachele = TICK
Crouch + Dawson + Rankine = TICK
Crouch + Dawson + Laird = maybe sometimes
Crouch + Laird + Soligo/Rachele/Rankine = TICK
Crouch + Laird + Sloane = SACK YOURSELF

Great work, waiting for the but but but Adelaide but but but excuse excuse excuse Nicks is awesome posts.
Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back