2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

McAsey looked very average in his draft highlights. Curtin looked very good.

It's totally on the coaches
It's tough because McAsey was widely regarded (and awarded) as the best for Vic Metro in the state competitions. Same with Schoenberg for SA that year. We were crying out to pick great footy players opposed to athletes who had impressive numbers who could be players... I don't think anyone at the time thought these were wild reaches. They went where people expected, and with the exception of McAsey's body language on the night, I don't think many would have picked that he would bomb out so soon and so spectacularly.

The McAsey pick really hurts. Schoenberg is yet to be decided, but after an initial good start is looking real shaky now. I'm hoping with some decent coaching he may still come around. IMHO the Angwin and Meesen picks were much, much worse, and the Gallucci pick was also a worse decision than McAsey. We should have got better than Jones and McHenry, and we shouldn't have thrown away our last first round pick that draft either, but now I'm drifting...

I'm still wondering WTF is happening with Curtin? So last week he's celebrating Dowling getting a call up to the Seniors... then training on his own with Chelsea consoling him, people thinking it's Covid? Nek Minnut, he's pouring water over Sloane for the freeze, and then out there playing today? I just don't get it? WTF is going on?

It's tough because McAsey was widely regarded (and awarded) as the best for Vic Metro in the state competitions. Same with Schoenberg for SA that year. We were crying out to pick great footy players opposed to athletes who had impressive numbers who could be players... I don't think anyone at the time thought these were wild reaches. They went where people expected, and with the exception of McAsey's body language on the night, I don't think many would have picked that he would bomb out so soon and so spectacularly.

The McAsey pick really hurts. Schoenberg is yet to be decided, but after an initial good start is looking real shaky now. I'm hoping with some decent coaching he may still come around. IMHO the Angwin and Meesen picks were much, much worse, and the Gallucci pick was also a worse decision than McAsey. We should have got better than Jones and McHenry, and we shouldn't have thrown away our last first round pick that draft either, but now I'm drifting...

I'm still wondering WTF is happening with Curtin? So last week he's celebrating Dowling getting a call up to the Seniors... then training on his own with Chelsea consoling him, people thinking it's Covid? Nek Minnut, he's pouring water over Sloane for the freeze, and then out there playing today? I just don't get it? WTF is going on?
I’m of the line of thinking there are a number of players that would be benefiting if they were at another club

Schoenberg doesn't do enough as a midfielder. Even his great games dont yield the output expected.

Schoenberg doesn't do enough as a midfielder. Even his great games dont yield the output expected.
It's difficult because unlike Murphy or McHenry, he actually did have some decent foot and handskills to start with... that game in 2020 seeing him against Geelong at AO when in the last half he went head on head with Danger and he did really well, it is hard to let go of.

He's in the same basket as Jones, who looked decent (if not spectacular) his first two years, but went backward with Nicks as coach and Godden as SANFL coach preaching this defensive look at your opponent before the ball crap.

I just hope (probably in vain) these kids get a better coaching group and blossom. The alternative is too horrible to stomach.

It's difficult because unlike Murphy or McHenry, he actually did have some decent foot and handskills to start with... that game in 2020 seeing him against Geelong at AO when in the last half he went head on head with Danger and he did really well, it is hard to let go of.

He's in the same basket as Jones, who looked decent (if not spectacular) his first two years, but went backward with Nicks as coach and Godden as SANFL coach preaching this defensive look at your opponent before the ball crap.

I just hope (probably in vain) these kids get a better coaching group and blossom. The alternative is too horrible to stomach.
I think Schoenberg is a genuine HF/SF. Long term upgrade on Keays.

Wheras guys like Rachele, Pedlar and now Dowling are genuine mids. Being played out of position to accommodate Laird being on there.

Even Dawson is somewhat shoehorned into being a mid. He operates best with more time than a pure midfielder gets.

I reckon a midfield rotation of Sog/Rankine/Rachele/Dowling/Pedlar/ Berry is our best option right now. A pity Crouch injured, he would be in that mix for me.

Bring these 5 into the middle, Laird to HB and Dawson wing. With Smithers Jones McHenry Murphy and Jones out.

Might not look it on paper, but that is our best midfield/Wing/HB group right now. Well once Rankine back.

We would win more games now, and great for future development.

HBs Laird Nank Michalanney

Wings Dawson/Sholl/Curtain

Midfield rotation Sog/Rankine/Rachele/Dowling/Pedlar/Berry

HF Keays/Schoenberg

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The coaches are taking the piss if Ned is in best players. Maybe for south he was
Haven’t we discussed this previously?

Ben Filosi is not employed by the AFC. He has journalist qualifications and works for a PR company. He has an “ interest” in all sports (particularly MMA).

Filosi’s best players have nothing to do with the thoughts of our coaches and has zero impact on selection (just check the correlation between selection of players from the SANFL and his best players). He seems heavily influenced by the stats and I sometimes wonder if he actually attends the games.

Surely it has to be development, we can’t have that many players that don’t improve. In fact the players are going backwards and losing all confidence. Unfortunately for Curtin, he’s very tall and in the sanfl, he must play as a key defender at times. Where is his best position?? Worrell has the 3rd tall position locked down, where does Curtin play then??

If we didn’t know the answer, why draft him?? We are screaming for midfielders and took a utility.
I’d personally play him as a 3rd tall or a winger and get the ball in his hands. He really needs to work on his defensive side though if he wants to play.
If Freo offered 2 firsts for him, I’d take it and run as I don’t think we can develop him into what we need

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bring these 5 into the middle, Laird to HB and Dawson wing. With Smithers Jones McHenry Murphy and Jones out.
So you're at the stage where you think Jones is a complete write off?

That's another really hard one. No question, I think Hamish stuffed up picking him instead of Butters. He showed a bit the first two years (not as much as I would have liked), then as I mentioned, got really messed up by Nicks and Godden. Seemed to find some form again in a back pocket after Brown retired, had his lisfranc injury at the end of last year, finally started to show some form against the Eagles two weeks ago, and had an absolute shocker against the Tigers on Thursday. I just don't know where he's at - I suspect he doesn't either with the clowns running our club.

Both are on thin ice. I also see more potential with Harry TBH.

We know Keane is quality even if he has had a couple of down weeks.
His form drop off started pretty much the same time Worrell got injured. Those two work well together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t we discussed this previously?

Ben Filosi is not employed by the AFC. He has journalist qualifications and works for a PR company. He has an “ interest” in all sports (particularly MMA).

Filosi’s best players have nothing to do with the thoughts of our coaches and has zero impact on selection (just check the correlation between selection of players from the SANFL and his best players). He seems heavily influenced by the stats and I sometimes wonder if he actually attends the games.
Ben Filosi not only attends games, he goes home watches the replay, and writes down who attended each centre bounce.

Why does anything have to be going on? None of those things are particularly remarkable on their own. Basically you're describing him participating in team bonding and attending training.

Curtin is a first year tall who had an interrupted pre-season and is struggling a little bit to find his feet. Has shown some glimpses including one ripping SANFL game. Nothing else to see here for now.

Luke Pedlar spent the entire day as a midfielder and had 26D and 9 Clearances.

Having someone drafted as a midfielder, play as midfielder instead of a half forward?

Its almost like our midfield coach was influenced by Neil Craig or something and now that is being overridden because it was stupid.

Neil Craig wrote our coaching manual. To win the senior coaching gig, you need to submit a 2,000 word essay explaining why it's the greatest tome you've ever read.

Bond in the listed best players the last couple of weeks with average looking stats.

Anyone at the games able to offer any insights? Did he do a decent shutdown job on someone?

So you're at the stage where you think Jones is a complete write off?

That's another really hard one. No question, I think Hamish stuffed up picking him instead of Butters. He showed a bit the first two years (not as much as I would have liked), then as I mentioned, got really messed up by Nicks and Godden. Seemed to find some form again in a back pocket after Brown retired, had his lisfranc injury at the end of last year, finally started to show some form against the Eagles two weeks ago, and had an absolute shocker against the Tigers on Thursday. I just don't know where he's at - I suspect he doesn't either with the clowns running our club.

Both are on thin ice. I also see more potential with Harry TBH.
Tough one.
I think he does that up and down wing role well.

But would prefer Curtin do his apprenticeship there. Took Jones out to bring Curtin in.

Jones could be better at HB than Sholl? Or yes even deeper in defence.

Dawson's wing position the one Murphy doing now ie stoppage mid. Starting wing or in forward 6, then licence to drift up and down the ground as needed.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back