Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno man. Negative news sells and drives engagement too.
Ratings are up when the teams are winning, crowds are up when the teams are winning, viewership is up when the teams are winning

Sure, when Primus is haemorrhaging and on the verge of being sacked it creates big interest among us diehards on here but the "normal" football fans tune out

Nicks is our third longest serving coach.
Very soon he will be our second longest serving coach.
He'll very soon have the most losses.

This weeks game against St Kilda will be his 100th

After 99 games Nicks is 34W 1D 64L

Ayers 101 games 53W 48L

Craig 157 games 89W 68L
Fun fact: he's currently 8th on the all time AFL/VFL list of most games coached without a final.

Some notable names still above him include Dew, Richardson and our old mate Robert Shaw.

Fun fact: he's currently 8th on the all time AFL/VFL list of most games coached without a final.

Some notable names still above him include Dew, Richardson and our old mate Robert Shaw.
Two of the top eight

Not bad for a relatively young club

To drill down further, a lot of those coaches also had stints at more than one club.

The longest consecutive stint at a club by a coach to have never made the finals is 126 games by Alan Richardson, Stuart Dew is a close 2nd with 121 games.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the year and if he coaches the whole season next year and doesn't make the finals then he'll hold the dubious honour of having the longest and most unsuccessful tenure in the history of VFL/AFL football.

It's actually starting to become embarrassing at this point that he's still coaching us.

Last edited:
To drill down further, a lot of those coaches also had stints at more than one club.

The longest consecutive stint at a club by a coach to have never made the finals is 126 games by Alan Richardson, Stuart Dew is a close 2nd with 121 games.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the year and if he coaches the whole season next year and doesn't make the finals then he'll hold the dubious honour of having the longest and most unsuccessful tenure in the history of VFL/AFL football.

It's actually starting to become embarrassing at this point that he's still coaching us.

Its batshit crazy that people can still have faith in Nicks. You can't tell me that after 5 years we can put up with this.

Any time you are mentioned with Gold Coast and St.Kilda its never a good thing.

Stuart Dews last 60 games - 24 wins and a 40% winning percentage - Sacked mid 6th season with a 7-9 record.

Alan Richardson last 60 games - 21 wins and a 35% winning percentage - Sacked mid 6th season with a 6-10 record.

Mathew Nicks last 60 games - 24 wins and a 40% winning percentage - Should be sacked tomorrow during his 5th season with a 5-10-1 record.

Let me go one further, when has Nicks even received any scrutiny at all?

You can't help but wonder whether some of the pundits in the Vic media like the fact that we have a mediocre coach that is taking the cub nowhere.

While he's at the club they know there's going to be one less non Vic side sniffing around the 8 so there's most probably zero motivation for them to suggest that he should be moved on.

Can anyone else think of a valid reason why Nicks is such a protected species in the media despite achieving sweet FA during his five year tenure?

I think its cause his is just so damn likable in person.

Even when interviewed - Chris McDermott said he didn't follow Footy any more, had no ties to the club and didnt follow the club - had met Mathew Nicks once - but said he was the right man for the job.

Even when interviewed - Chris McDermott said he didn't follow Footy any more, had no ties to the club and didnt follow the club - had met Mathew Nicks once - but said he was the right man for the job.
Actually he said he’s a superstar but might have meant he’s superfly?

Hasn’t Simpson had a worse record than Nicks last 3-4 years?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has Nicks made finals?

Has Nicks won a GF and know less against a MCG tenant?

Until Covid, Simpson had an excellent winning %, one that Nicks could only dream of.

But what would McDermott know about coaching - he had a coaching record of W 21 L 57 D 2 @ North Adelaide. 😳😳

I’m starting to wonder if some of our past players actually want us to fail and not be successful. Makes them look better when W-L records are compared to when they were playing.

Let's face it, there's only one scenario I can see where Roo would be prepared to tell the club to cut ties with Nicks at the end of the season.

I'll give you a clue, it involves this guy

1000005606.jpg

If Melbourne decide to move Goodwin or he wants to come back to Adelaide then you watch how quickly Nicks would go from "future premiership coach" to sacked.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the real measure. Not those that switched clubs. It highlights how unusual the AFC blind faith is here . Ask West Coast . A club hell bent on winning. Will sail past us next year if we still have Nicks playing the future of geriatrics 🙄

This is the most likely trajectory and end result of Nicks, yet we somehow have people convincing themselves he's Damien Hardwick.

It's weird because he doesn't come across as particularly charismatic or inspiring in any of his press conferences or interviews. I wouldn't even say he comes across as likeable.

I think I've worked it out.

Nicks is a Jedi Knight, but of the Dark Side. Nicks met with the powers-that-be after Round One loss, 2024:
Back then, Roo or Silvers, or Olsen:
"Nicksy, we're not happy about the last 4 years and the last game. Give us your reasons why you should be retained".

Nicks <<gesturing hypnotically>>
"You will extend my contract by two years ..."

Roo et al <<glassy-eyed 1720574353470.png , dull voices, in unison>>:
"We will extend your contract by two years ...".
Ditto.
"Chris, I am the right man for the job".

McDermott :drunk:: "Yessss, you are the right man for the job ...".

It's the only thing that makes sense :sneaky: .

Last edited:
Let's face it, there's only one scenario I can see where Roo would be prepared to tell the club to cut ties with Nicks at the end of the season.

I'll give you a clue, it involves this guy

View attachment 2044108

If Melbourne decide to move Goodwin or he wants to come back to Adelaide then you watch how quickly Nicks would go from "future premiership coach" to sacked.
Oooo, Conspiracy Theory intrigue. I LIKE IT! :thumbsupv1:

I think I've worked it out.

Nicks is a Jedi Knight, but of the Dark Side. Nicks met with the powers-that-be after Round One loss, 2024:
Back then, Roo or Silvers, or Olsen:
"Nicksy, we're not happy about the last 4 years and the last game. Give us your reasons why you should be retained".

"You will extend my contract by two years ..."

Roo et al <<glassy-eyed, dull voices, in unison>>:
"We will extend your contract by two years ...".

Ditto.
"Chris, I am the right man for the job".

McDermott :drunk:: "Yessss, you are the right man for the job ...".

It's the only thing that makes sense :sneaky: .
good lord

Nicks is good at spin says all the right things yes may well be a nice bloke but he’s not a good head coach.

Nicks is like a Jedi Knight who approaches the Jedi Council asking to be immediately promoted to the rank of Master, and when he's permitted to sit on the Council but not be promoted to Master, decides to turn to the Dark Side and enacts a decades long reign of terror

Well, technically nicks did make finals its just the AFL stole it away from us last year so last year always has an asterisk against it as far as i am concerned. That was and forever will be a complete and utter disgrace what hapened to us V Sydney from not just the game day officiating but what went down after that to prevent it from being properly redressed in our favor

Back