Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Be very interesting to see what happens if we get humbled at home by Saints.

Without Rankine (and an important Hinge) and a few of their players getting back into form against Sydney, not going to be an easy game for Nicks especially if Ro$$ Lyin' turns it into a dour scrapfest early....
Saints paying 2.72 on Sportsbet might be worth putting on a few dollars.

100 game banner

Not much noise will be made of Nicks getting to 100
I see, thanks.
Plenty of (negative) noise about his last 16 games, but that sentiment wouldn't make it onto a banner.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to the Saints, after which the Crows chair Nicks off the ground (it's not about winning, it's about trying hard).

Last edited:
Real ‘The Grade Cricketer’ areas from Nicks today in his press conference as he reckons the players at the club are still motivated and going alright because there’s a jovial mood in the tubs 🛁 😂

Be very interesting to see what happens if we get humbled at home by Saints.

Without Rankine (and an important Hinge) and a few of their players getting back into form against Sydney, not going to be an easy game for Nicks especially if Ro$$ Lyin' turns it into a dour scrapfest early....

I think we will win comfortably but a loss will bring alot of heat in the club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been thinking about the biggest problem with Nicks and it has to be his slowness ( stubbornness) in decision making.

It took 60 games for him to maybe realise that McHenry isn’t up to it, when many fans were there a long time ago.

He finally is playing curtin in the middle and surprise surprise he’s made a huge impact today. Should have worked that out earlier this year.

Adelaide simply can’t afford to have a coach that takes so long to realise if things aren’t working and change things. Game day coaching is a massive case in point. We have lost at least 4-5 games this year on slow coaching responses during the game .

Been thinking about the biggest problem with Nicks and it has to be his slowness ( stubbornness) in decision making.

It took 60 games for him to maybe realise that McHenry isn’t up to it, when many fans were there a long time ago.

He finally is playing curtin in the middle and surprise surprise he’s made a huge impact today. Should have worked that out earlier this year.

Adelaide simply can’t afford to have a coach that takes so long to realise if things aren’t working and change things. Game day coaching is a massive case in point. We have lost at least 4-5 games this year on slow coaching responses during the game .
Yep, unfortunately he is just not that smart.

It's the reason we are usually outcoached on game day.

It's why most have come to the realisation we won't be successful under him... & we won't go anywhere until we change coaches.

Sadly also a poor reflection on AFC football decision makers that they can't see this.

Changing assistants is attempting to work around the problem, when the easiest fix is to remove the problem.

Yep, unfortunately he is just not that smart.

It's the reason we are usually outcoached on game day.

It's why most have come to the realisation we won't be successful under him... & we won't go anywhere until we change coaches.

Sadly also a poor reflection on AFC football decision makers that they can't see this.

Changing assistants is attempting to work around the problem, when the easiest fix is to remove the problem.
When we chose nicks it sounded to me that the main reason he was chosen was his ability to build relationships. That spells assistant coach to me. Someone players felt comfortable to talk to when needed. Which wasn’t Sando or pykeys strength. Pykey could have stayed on with nicks coming in as an assistant to work under him but be the players sounding board.

We need a game day tactician in.

When we chose nicks it sounded to me that the main reason he was chosen was his ability to build relationships. That spells assistant coach to me. Someone players felt comfortable to talk to when needed. Which wasn’t Sando or pykeys strength. Pykey could have stayed on with nicks coming in as an assistant to work under him but be the players sounding board.

Exactly.

None of our coaches appear to have any tactical smarts.

Opposition coaches would look forward to going up against Nix.

Exactly.

None of our coaches appear to have any tactical smarts.

Opposition coaches would look forward to going up against Nix.
Sounds like Rahilly was that guy for us.

Everything with Nicks seems to be a "do the opposite and hope it works out" situation.

Had a coach who was tactically smart, but not great with players? Hire the opposite to replace him!

We usually fire a coach who has 2-3 poor years? Do the opposite and keep backing him in!

Sounds like Rahilly was that guy for us.

Everything with Nicks seems to be a "do the opposite and hope it works out" situation.

Had a coach who was tactically smart, but not great with players? Hire the opposite to replace him!

We usually fire a coach who has 2-3 poor years? Do the opposite and keep backing him in!
Need a good mix in the coaching group & need at least 1, preferably the senior coach & senior assistant who are tactically smart.

We literally have none of out coaches that have tactical smarts.

Worse is we have football management who don't even realise!

Just need to be in the matchday box to know we have a big problem.

Need a good mix in the coaching group & need at least 1, preferably the senior coach & senior assistant who are tactically smart

We literally have nine of out coaches that have tactical smarts.

Nine is a good start...

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Back