Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

None of our coaches appear to have any tactical smarts.

Opposition coaches would look forward to going up against Nix.
My view is you need tough authority and a forcefulness to drive a game. Tactical stuff follows. Generally we don’t have disciplined urgency in our game. When Nicks left PA there was a comment from a senior PA player …..‘I don’t think he has the toughness and fierceness to get the best out of players’. He’s too nice and friendly.

My view is you need tough authority and a forcefulness to drive a game. Tactical stuff follows. Generally we don’t have disciplined urgency in our game. When Nicks left PA there was a comment from a senior PA player …..‘I don’t think he has the toughness and fierceness to get the best out of players’. He’s too nice and friendly.
... & he is really not very smart either.

Has anyone at the club actually said the results this year have been unacceptable?

Not a dip, not disappointing, but unacceptable?
They are scared to use that language as it may implicate them in the moronic decision to hire nicks and then extend him.

So caught a grab from Nicks presser on the news, it was about Thilthorpe and being sub.

He joked he was concerned in the third with the rain. Hmm doesn’t he live in Adelaide, experienced the rain and seen the forecast?

The guy is a ****wit
Apparently there was no rain forecast according to the BOM.

Completely unexpected lol.

Named the team Thursday night didn’t they….

For Nicks to think rain wasn’t a strong possibility given our weather currently is laughable
Further, he does realise we are allowed to make a late change...

For Nicks to think rain wasn’t a strong possibility given our weather currently is laughable

Thought I posted from the BOM that late showers were expected on Saturday night.

Does he own a computer or tablet? Seriously, this is all part of your preparation I would have thought.

Now this week no need to worry about the weather forecast because the game is at Marvel but you do need pace and certainly moreso against Essendon who just run and run.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going to give Nicks a pass, while he was looking to win the game he was more selecting Thilthorpe as a sub to just give him some game time to build his match fitness. I dont think weather played any part in the decision. Plus Thilthorpe is a pretty mobile tall player. If rain is such a huge factor for tall players then none would get selected.

I am going to give Nicks a pass, while he was looking to win the game he was more selecting Thilthorpe as a sub to just give him some game time to build his match fitness. I dont think weather played any part in the decision. Plus Thilthorpe is a pretty mobile tall player. If rain is such a huge factor for tall players then none would get selected.
And yet Nicks said in the presser he was concerned when it was raining

Last edited:

If building match fitness was the aim, it would make far more sense to start him, and have a small player as the sub. If Burgess says he’s had enough then we make the tactically sensible move of bringing on a small for a tall in wet conditions, if he’s fine then he gets a full game in which can only be beneficial.

What would have happened if one of our mids went down in the first 10 minutes?

If building match fitness was the aim, it would make far more sense to start him, and have a small player as the sub. If Burgess says he’s had enough then we make the tactically sensible move of bringing on a small for a tall in wet conditions, if he’s fine then he gets a full game in which can only be beneficial.

Its the same result either way if a mid goes down. Its a risk. But they rolled the dice.

Interesting that when our sub is being managed for game time they all appear to come on at the same time, must all be at the same level of fitness

Its the same result either way if a mid goes down. Its a risk. But they rolled the dice.

No it’s not.

If we started with a smaller player as sub and a mid went down then we could replace them and still only have 3 talls.

If a mid went down in the first on Saturday we would have a had 4 key position forward line for nearly a whole game in the wet.

Just because it was a risk that paid off does not mean it was a smart risk to take. Even a broken clock is right twice.

No it’s not.

If we started with a smaller player as sub and a mid went down then we could replace them and still only have 3 talls.

If a mid went down in the first on Saturday we would have a had 4 key position forward line for nearly a whole game in the wet.

Just because it was a risk that paid off does not mean it was a smart risk to take. Even a broken clock is right twice.

but we would have had a player off their feet. We could shuffle the deck chairs easy enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Back