Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, Murphy was out for 6 games injured

In that time we beat Carlton away, smacked Port, tied with Brisbane. Three wins, two losses and a draw overall.

We were 5-12 with Murphy. Not saying that he's solely responsible for those losses but food for thought.

The question is not who could play the Murphy role. It's do we need the Murphy role.
To be fair we had McHenry for all those games, so it's not like we didn't have anyone in that role. It was pretty much one of the other this year (they did play 4 games together but one of them was always the sub). We just picked Murphy when they were both available as he's clearly better.

To be fair we had McHenry for all those games, so it's not like we didn't have anyone in that role. It was pretty much one of the other this year (they did play 4 games together but one of them was always the sub). We just picked Murphy when they were both available as he's clearly better.
Or they're both average, added nothing and it will make no difference if replaced by a developing mid?

Reading through this thread and being reminded of the decision to re-sign Nicks early in the season. God help us. We can take it as a given that none of the club leadership will have the decency to resign and take accountability for that baffling decision.

Who will they throw to the wolves now? Surely they'll feel the need to sack someone as they go through the motions of this 'review'?

It's laughable to even type Williams, Martin, Boyd, Fogarty and Cunningham as having any influence over results .....you're just trying to descredit a point ....mindless thinking

Curnow played 19 games, McKay 18 ....both at the tail end of the season ....they played during CARL bad spell

If that's the degree of you knowledge .....WOW
a.png

Just highlighted the point, you seem to have trouble seeing it.

Would anyone else be shocked if in another week or two a huge story drops where Nicks has been sacked and we have appointed Goodwin as coach (Melbourne are also in a state and they might be more than ok with Goodwin leaving)
Roo front and centre with a big shit eating grin leaving his bestest of buddies in charge as he leaves his role.

giphy.gif

Would anyone else be shocked if in another week or two a huge story drops where Nicks has been sacked and we have appointed Goodwin as coach (Melbourne are also in a state and they might be more than ok with Goodwin leaving)
Roo front and centre with a big shit eating grin leaving his bestest of buddies in charge as he leaves his role.
That would be me done and dusted and off to follow GWS.

Well, Murphy was out for 6 games injured

In that time we beat Carlton away, smacked Port, tied with Brisbane. Three wins, two losses and a draw overall.

We were 5-12 with Murphy. Not saying that he's solely responsible for those losses but food for thought.

The question is not who could play the Murphy role. It's do we need the Murphy role.

I think that once we've replaced the Lynch role, the Murphy role can revert to the Petrenko role which allow Rachele to revert more to the Betts role rather than run his own show like he has been.

I'd be shocked. No way they're sacking matty mc fly

I think that once we've replaced the Lynch role, the Murphy role can revert to the Petrenko role which allow Rachele to revert more to the Betts role rather than run his own show like he has been.
We are still missing the Charlie Cameron role IMO - so I think we probably need Rankine to revert to that, which frees up his spot so you can revert Soligo into the midfield and Dawson into the high half forward, ultimately making room for Fogarty to resume his "enormous midfielder" role. At the end of the chain we end up with Curtin playing a combo Ruck/Small lockdown defender position, which I think will really suit him when he comes on fresh in Q4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you say so ....but it doesn't make it so

And what about Longmuir .....two years out of the Finals, with one of the best midfield's in the AFL ....there should be questions asked of him ....no excuses, few injuries
Longmuir didn't have his captain throwing teamates under the bus after talking about values and "prioritising others".

Last edited:
Dawson, thinking:
"If I had not come over to this rubbish dump of a Club, I'd be playing 2 home Finals with a good chance of a Flag".

Add Dawson to 2024 Sydney, they're Premiers.
Just more what transpired through the week with Rachele

Not sure he was 100% behind what played out

If you say so ....but it doesn't make it so

And what about Longmuir .....two years out of the Finals, with one of the best midfield's in the AFL ....there should be questions asked of him ....no excuses, few injuries

What about Longmuir?

The guy has actually taken Freo into the finals and has won a final. He has credits in the bank and has earned a reprieve due to that.

If Longmuir missed the finals five years straight he wouldn't have a job, in fact I'd argue that he most probably would have been sacked after 2022 had Freo not made the finals.

Next year though I suspect will be do or die for Longmuir's career, they either make in impact in September or he's gone.

If we’re not allowed to judge Nicks on wins/losses because of a young list and injuries then the things we end up judging him on are game plan, selection integrity, tactical nous, player management (including use of the sub) and which of those would he get anywhere near a pass mark on?
funny-uh-ok.gif

Longmuir's winning record is 15 percentage points higher than Nicks

Nicks isn't even in the same discussion when it comes to calibre of coach

Wayne obviously thinks if he keeps trying to compare Nicks to coaches of a much higher caliber that it somehow makes Nicks look better as a coach.

Wayne obviously thinks if he keeps trying to compare Nicks to coaches of a much higher caliber that it somehow makes Nicks look better as a coach.
I like how he is bunching us with Collingwood and Carlton

If we’re not allowed to judge Nicks on wins/losses because of a young list and injuries then the things we end up judging him on are game plan, selection integrity, tactical nous, player management (including use of the sub) and which of those would he get anywhere near a pass mark on?

michael cohen GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back