Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Like what I said in 1997 when Blight started Shane Ellen at full forward.
The difference Blight was a genius, Nicks is anything but.
Funnily, Blight said at a Club breakfast we hosted in Brisbane in 1999, that he made lots of moves like that (pulling moves "out of his arse"). The ones that worked made him look like a genius, he laughed and then added "but there were lots more that didn't, and I looked like a bit of a goose".

Blight didnt care how he won he just wanted to win

Nicks is more interested in processes, systems, grunt, shape, very complex gameplan that nobody understands and is very reliant on out-fitnessing the opponent

whilst being more competitive away from home is encouraging this year we had to come from behind a lot more to win as well and that isn't sustainable

I think you're giving Nicks way too much credit there.

We don't have a consistent, coherent approach to selection or gameplan; he's not super intelligent trying to make some complex gameplan work - he's a moron who doesn't know what he's doing.

I think you're giving Nicks way too much credit there.

We don't have a consistent, coherent approach to selection or gameplan; he's not super intelligent trying to make some complex gameplan work - he's a moron who doesn't know what he's doing.
Our game plan was that bad at the beginning of the season that we couldn't even beat an incompetent Freo at home
And that was after his 5th pre-season

Funnily, Blight said at a Club breakfast we hosted in Brisbane in 1999, that he made lots of moves like that (pulling moves "out of his arse"). The ones that worked made him look like a genius, he laughed and then added "but there were lots more that didn't, and I looked like a bit of a goose".
Also Ellen only played the first half at full forward. Went half back in the second half to cover Hart who had to play on Heatley after Jamo did his hammy. Three of his goals were from running down from half back.

Our game plan was that bad at the beginning of the season that we couldn't even beat an incompetent Freo at home
And that was after his 5th pre-season
Freo ?? I mean their last 4 weeks were awful but aside from that they were in the top 6 most of the year.

By all means pick 1 of other losses though.

Freo ?? I mean their last 4 weeks were awful but aside from that they were in the top 6 most of the year.

By all means pick 1 of other losses though.
No it was the correct call

Both sides should have been even and at home Optus you tip the Crows

We scored 34 points (4.10) in a dour defensive game that Ross Lyon loves and scored 2 points in the last quarter after being 10 points down at 3/4

Freo scored 69 points

That was a loss on Nicks

* I know Lyons doesnt coach them but that was the style brought here

They had 3/3 from the 1st 6 games beating the Lions, Kangas and us

All 3 teams started 0-4

Last edited:

Both sides should have been even and at home you tip the Crows

We scored 34 points (4.10) in a dour defensive game that Ross Lyon loves and scored 2 points in the last quarter after being 10 points down at 3/4

Freo scored 69 points

That was a loss on Nicks

All 3 teams started 0-4
I reckon our Geelong loss was worse TBH

Both sides should have been even and at home you tip the Crows

Freo scored 69 points

That was a loss on Nicks

All 3 teams started 0-4
That game was at Optus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back