Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to seeing the fixture for 2025

Nicks is staying, so the first 12 weeks are going to be key.

I hope between now and pre- season we get a fair bit of good news

I knew he was staying the moment he survived the Richmond debacle.

Once he survived that, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't going anywhere.

have to admit, i was hoping on some sort of completely out of character (apart from Sanderson) post season sacking.

thats why I'll be interested in the Fixture and what we are bringing into to assist Nicks.

I'm still buying my Kayo through the GC though 🤣

They werent sacking him 10 weeks after signing him.

But I wonder whether that was around the time whether the powers that be said "Oh faaark"

I'm looking forward to seeing the fixture for 2025

Nicks is staying, so the first 12 weeks are going to be key.

I hope between now and pre- season we get a fair bit of good news

So you would expect we get the double ups as follows:-

Port plus one of Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and GWS
Two of Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda
Two of Gold Coast, Melbourne, West Coast, North Melbourne and Richmond.

We could get only one of the top 6 (Port) and get three of the either the middle 6 or bottom 6. Unlikely but possible.

The fact we finished in the bottom 6 means Port will probably only play one other of the bottom 6.

And whats the bet Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon all play each other twice.

I want people to rate the fixture before we start playing this time
Fixture ratings are a complete waste of time ....everyone thought COLL would be a tough fixture matchup ....no-one knows who's on the up or slide

More important are the number of 5, 6 day breaks .....interwoven with interstate trips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think cleaning out our dud assistants is important too. However, keep in mind that when you have a strong senior coach, their influence is greater than, or could even compensate for, crap assistants. A weak senior coach like Nicks further exposes weak assistants and could be influenced by them and their stupid ideas.

I want change at the SANFL level

You can throw your development coach awards at me all night I dont care

Our development isnt that great when it focuses on removing deficiencies when it should be promoting existing talent and ability
I think we do it with some players, moving Curtin into the middle during the year being a case in point. Just not enough.

Not here to defend Nicks or shine his shoes, but as several others on this board and thread have said, at club board level you have a pretty conservative (arguably narrow minded board) who possibly have told Nicks to not play the likes of Curtin and other talented kids on your list until they have served an lengthy SANFL apprenticeship, I think that happened to Fogarty and Thilthorpe (although in the later case that probably was a prudent decision given his previous unlucky run of injuries)

This is just my gut feeling that your club's board and admin may have too much of an influence on the Crows match committee and somewhat hindering Nicks hand somewhat

I am just suggesting this cause i have seen this.type of board levelling meddling at Carlton many times in the past.

I think Nicks is very likely to go at the end of 2025 unless you play finals, but I also believe he had been hamstrung to an extent, in an ideal would, I think Nicks would have given the likes of Curtain and a couple of your other talented kids more games, I feel like your board is not giving him the leeway to do.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck for the off season and next year.

They werent sacking him 10 weeks after signing him.

But I wonder whether that was around the time whether the powers that be said "Oh faaark"

They should have just cut their losses because they then would have only had to pay him for until May 2025 and would have only had to have worn a smallish salary cap hit in 2025

Now we're locked in for all of 2025 and if it's a repeat season then we're stuck with him on the books for 2025 and likely all of 2026.

They should have just cut their losses because they then would have only had to pay him for until May 2025 and would have only had to have worn a smallish salary cap hit in 2025

Now we're locked in for all of 2025 and if it's a repeat season then we're stuck with him on the books for 2025 and likely all of 2026.
If we have another year like this one he won't survive past the bye

Not here to defend Nicks or shine his shoes, but as several others on this board and thread have said, at club board level you have a pretty conservative (arguably narrow minded board) who possibly have told Nicks to not play the likes of Curtin and other talented kids on your list until they have served an lengthy SANFL apprenticeship, I think that happened to Fogarty and Thilthorpe (although in the later case that probably was a prudent decision given his previous unlucky run of injuries)

This is just my gut feeling that your club's board and admin may have too much of an influence on the Crows match committee and somewhat hindering Nicks hand somewhat

I am just suggesting this cause i have seen this.type of board levelling meddling at Carlton many times in the past.

I think Nicks is very likely to go at the end of 2025 unless you play finals, but I also believe he had been hamstrung to an extent, in an ideal would, I think Nicks would have given the likes of Curtain and a couple of your other talented kids more games, I feel like your board is not giving him the leeway to do.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck for the off season and next year.
Always good to read an outside opinion

I just dont see any dare in Nicks coaching for it not to be him

I think you are wrong on Curtin getting more games as his in-game management was woeful . He would have clocked up no more than 2 full games in total over the time spent on ground

But yes we are a conservative club and we then pick conservative coaches

I want change at the SANFL level

You can throw your development coach awards at me all night I dont care

Our development isnt that great when it focuses on removing deficiencies when it should be promoting existing talent and ability
Be interesting to see if Berg does a thing at the Gold Coast.

I want people to rate the fixture before we start playing this time

This fixture rating from November 2023

AFL 2024 fixture difficulty (from easiest to hardest)

Based on the 2023 percentage of the teams they play twice in 2024

1. Gold Coast Suns

2. North Melbourne

3. West Coast Eagles

4. St Kilda

5. Geelong

6. Richmond

7. Fremantle

8. Essendon

9. Melbourne

10. Western Bulldogs

11. Carlton