Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said we targeted Lukosius ....we chatted....like we do with maybe a dozen players every year, that doesn't hit the media

We may "like" a player ....but the cost, in terms of trade and contract value, may deter us moving forward

My POV is ....I was always preferring Curtin taking a FWD / MID role, over Lukosius .....it was hard to see them both in that fwd line
So if we miss out, it's because we didn't want them

No possible other reason

Getting Burgess last year was a win because he was our No 1 priority

So if we miss out, it's because we didn't want them

No possible other reason

Getting Burgess last year was a win because he was our No 1 priority
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here ....there's a myriad of scenarios that go into negotiations

You're sitting on the outside, making assumptions, which you want to sit with your preferred narrative

On Burgess, he was a band aid acquisition, that's all .....could play DEF, FWD, RUCK at a pinch .....it was a fail, but do you think he was anymore than what most expected ....what is he 29 this year?

Whether the fan base wanted him or not, the Club certainly wanted Jack. I don't blame Jack for picking a club with more recent success. Nick's really has killed our appeal.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was reported - who knows the truth - that Nicks was on a plane to GC

But apparently ''every club chats to players''

But do they send the coach?

It was reported - who knows the truth - that Nicks was on a plane to GC

But apparently ''every club chats to players''

But do they send the coach?
Nick's is not impressive. He lacks appeal which explains why our only recruits have been homesick players and bottom tier coaches.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would still struggle to impact the 8
I tell what Nicks has done, he has won games that in the past we would never have won. We have had some pretty specials wins. next year is make or break for him. he could be gone by the bye. This year could have been a tad different if Thilthorpe played from round 1

I tell what Nicks has done, he has won games that in the past we would never have won. We have had some pretty specials wins. next year is make or break for him. he could be gone by the bye. This year could have been a tad different if Thilthorpe played from round 1
True to an extent, but every team has injuries and its the strength of the squad / coaching to be able to cover that.

We've also lost a lot of games that we should have won, in part due to interesting coaching and selection decisions and lack of tactical nous.

We also don't seem to be able to stop teams when they go on a run, or have a 'Plan B' on gameday. Add that to the 2024 gameplan that went back to the 2020-22 years, and completely against the 2023 gameplan that was our most successful season.

Nicks was great at the time for rebuilding the club in the post-Pyke/Burton ebb, but I don't believe he's got what it takes to get to the next step. First half of 2025 is massive.

I disagree on the bolded

We have also lost games we should have won. Thats the challenge for any AFC coach - managing and winning the expectations

1. Adam Simpson
  2. Nathan Buckley
  3. Leon Cameron
  4. Justin Leppitch
  5. Ben Rutten
  6. Stewy Dew
  7. Luke Beveridge ........ Who will our next coach be? We cant afford to take another risk on a rookie coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back