Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He came into a broken club and pulled the place back together.

Attack his coaching all you want, but don't play the man.
Has he pulled the place together? Given what's happened with Rachele, i don't think he's changed the culture at all. Still a boys club.

Look at how Hawthorn handle ginnivan... Backed him in publicly, probably told him to cool his head privately.

Has he pulled the place together? Given what's happened with Rachele, i don't think he's changed the culture at all. Still a boys club.

Look at how Hawthorn handle ginnivan... Backed him in publicly, probably told him to cool his head privately.
I'm sure whatever Nicks said to Josh privately was fine.... I mean he hasn't spat it and left has he ??

I'm more concerned about what Laird said

Au contraire

Amazing argument that demolishes a win percentage of 34.58%*, by far the worst out of coaches that coached in 2024 and coached for at least 2 seasons. Longmuir who is the closest comparison in games coached has a win percentage of 50.48%. Then there is Adam Simpson who got sacked with a win percentage of 50.22% and a Premiership.

But yeah no evidence he is a dud coach.

27.02% (10) of his wins are against the Eagles and Roos who competed for bottom 2 in the seasons we beat them. 4 of the 8 wins in 2022 were from them.

The 2024 win percentage of 34.78%* is only slightly above his overall win percentage. 5 wins at home 3 away. I'll give you that is a slightly better ratio to the 9 home/2 away of 2023.

Of Nicks' 37 wins only 13 were against top 8 sides and of those 13 wins 11 were at home. 3 of the 11 were Showdowns, which are literally 50/50 across the journey. The two away wins were against the Blues and Bulldogs who finished 8th at the end of the respective home and away seasons. 17 of Nicks' wins are against sides that finished 14th or lower.

The trend across 5 seasons is a mid 30s win percentage. The almost but not quite finals outlier of 2023 was built on the back of a career best 76 goals from Taylor Walker and 9 home wins and an abysmal away record of 2 wins, a fluke against the Hawks who finished 16th, and the Eagles who finished 18th. Of the 11 wins, 5 were against sides that finished the top 8 (including 2 showdown wins) the other 6 wins were against sides that finished 14th or lower. We failed to beat sides that were around us on the ladder away from home, which is a major reason why we didn't make the finals.

But yeah no evidence that he is a dud coach.

These are the results of mediocre flat track bully side.

Nicks as Head Coach isn't wholly responsible for the football department, but neither are the other Head Coaches for their respective clubs. The Head Coaches which his results are compared to and through said comparison it is clear that on the numbers, Nicks stinks.

This isn't even touching on the repeated selection blunders, repeated sub blunders, repeated media blunders, and repeated gameplan blunders. Or the sides that have developed faster than us.

In short: This is why I block your posts.

*Excluding Draw

Last edited:
I'm sure whatever Nicks said to Josh privately was fine.... I mean he hasn't spat it and left has he ??

I'm more concerned about what Laird said
Given that laird took some kick ins and kicked it directly to the opposition, and his continued free pass in the game. We all saw his soft contests, quite clear Nicks doesn't uphold standards to his favourites.

You think this club is together? It's just as broken as it was before with the same people and the same problems. Only difference is we have a spoon now and being a trash club is more ingrained and expected

Given that laird took some kick ins and kicked it directly to the opposition, and his continued free pass in the game. We all saw his soft contests, quite clear Nicks doesn't uphold standards to his favourites.
You mean the last game of the year ??

Cool, you missed the point entirely

The right playing group aren't that bad but carrying the same 3-4 players each week doesn't give you the best chance of winning does it.

No, but that's on the Coach not the players. Even our duds have good games every blue moon or two. You reward them with another game when they do. You drop them when they don't. <- This isn't how Nicks operates.

He's a fixer!! Comes into a club that finished with 10 wins the previous season and then takes 4 seasons to beat that by 1 win, in a season with an extra game!

This is a club that practically pretended they made the finals last year and had a hangover from that "Success". He didn't fix shit.

It's actually worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing Tredrea on 5AA on Monday and mentions of Carr being involved in the Lukocious deal/Hinkley considering 'walking away' makes it pretty clear that Hinkley is gone.

Meanwhile we're all in on 6th year lucky for Nicksy.

Hearing Tredrea on 5AA on Monday and mentions of Carr being involved in the Lukocious deal/Hinkley considering 'walking away' makes it pretty clear that Hinkley is gone.

Meanwhile we're all in on 6th year lucky for Nicksy.

Im thinking of some new side Nicknames for the club

1st Gear - cant get out of first gear
Idle - happy to sit idle and pretend
Security Light - pretends to do something in front of the members
Casper - friendly enough but a ghost at the trade table
Appendix - Nickname for Nicks. At some point im sure he was useful.
Broken Arrow - For Nicks. Useless as anything, cant be fired.
Toenails - For Murphy, only part of him left not up Nicks arse
Glove Box - for the club, full of shit and you cant shut them up
Erectyle Dysfunction - both suitable for Nicks and Murphy. Useless Dick
Deckchair - suitable for the club, nicks and half the list. Always folds under pressure

The evidence of this is………….

I see a coach who refuses to take responsibility for poor performances and decisions and constantly blames the players.

Was he putting the team first when he consistently let Rachelle be humiliated, including by Rory Laird????

The best/only way to fix a club is success, he doesn’t have the ability to help the team achieve this.

The evidence of this is………….

I see a coach who refuses to take responsibility for poor performances and decisions and constantly blames the players.

Was he putting the team first when he consistently let Rachelle be humiliated, including by Rory Laird????

The best/only way to fix a club is success, he doesn’t have the ability to help the team achieve this.
You may find the Rachele episode could be the making of him .....much like the dressing down Ablett Jnr got from his leadership group

Went from coasting on talent, to knuckling down and adding work ethic .....thus allowing Ablett to maximise his talent

I feel this could be a similar line in the sand with Rachele ....there's definitely a bigger picture at play here

You may find the Rachele episode could be the making of him .....much like the dressing down Ablett Jnr got from his leadership group

Went from coasting on talent, to knuckling down and adding work ethic .....thus allowing Ablett to maximise his talent

I feel this could be a similar line in the sand with Rachele ....there's definitely a bigger picture at play here
Was it done publicly on a consistent basis?

Was it done by senior players from his own side publicly (who have absolutely no right to question the performance of others)

Or was it done completely behind closed doors, then spoken about years later?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back