Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some random Friday morning thoughts - fair to say that Burns should be regarded on the same level as Rahilly now?

Seems to have developed a defensive structure that is communicative, and lets everyone play to their strengths. Milera, Hinge, Worrell, Murray (until injury) all having arguably career-best years, while Keane and Michalanney have fitted in seamlessly

Think he could be in line for a senior gig in a couple of years, assuming we make finals from next year onwards

I’m still low on NVB, though

Where do you rate the cattle that Van Berlo has to work with in comparison to other midfield line coaches? Is he under achieving with what he has at his disposal?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where do you rate the cattle that Van Berlo has to work with in comparison to other midfield line coaches? Is he under achieving with what he has at his disposal?

How many of our midfielders have improved under his tutelage?

How many of our midfielders have improved under his tutelage?

Good point. Berry took enormous strides forward last year but obviously regressed this year
Harry shows flashes regularly but can’t consistently put it together
Soligo has shown great signs - just needs consistency
Rachele just needs a tank
Pedlar - I think is the bull of all of these and just needs time
Laird was probably good before Van Berlo
Dawson I will credit himself and no one else
Keays, ROB and Sloane are who they are

If we include wings obviously Jones improved a lot this year - found consistency after all this time, Sholl has had his best year

What probably stands out is the older guys are who they are and have maintained their levels

The younger guys have shown signs but lacked either consistency or fitness

Hopefully like Jones as they reach their 4-5 years on the list they find that and shows what they can really do

Seems very content with the group, certainly not doing anything to uncover more quality. Dawson had to beg to get in there, Rankine looks an A grade mid, just not needed. Heard it described as stacked, can’t see any reason that suggests our coaching group thinks quality is an issue. Sloane is an AA, what’s not to love?

The younger guys have shown signs but lacked either consistency or fitness

Hopefully like Jones as they reach their 4-5 years on the list they find that and shows what they can really do
Someone mentioned the need to keep them running through longer. It seems a Schoenberg is yanked out quicker for a few fumbles than the senior guys. Maybe we need to hold our nerve on some of these younger players.

Is fitness an issue ? Possibly but I also believe you build a better tank through game work than track work.

Someone mentioned the need to keep them running through longer. It seems a Schoenberg is yanked out quicker for a few fumbles than the senior guys. Maybe we need to hold our nerve on some of these younger players.

Is fitness an issue ? Possibly but I also believe you build a better tank through game work than track work.
According to snippets of info that I have picked up, 4 proper preseasons to build a tank. Lines up with the under 5 year players returning to training earlier in the preseason.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

For 1st and 2nd year players, absolutely .....not even Burgess can fast track elite AFL fitness in kids

My POV is .....playing a 23 round season is tough physically & mentally on even experienced players ......players have to learn how to perform with the weekly grind (as a few refer to it) .....and playing injured & bruised
I believe some of those teachings have happened this year

I can see, Rotating players has merit ......however I can see greater merit in Burgess's philosophy of teaching performance under adversity ......it's a juggling act though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a firm no from me.

Once again his selection philosphy has been shown to be dreadful, four years in and he is still making glaring mistakes.

Its been for at least 6-8 weeks that some of us have been crying out to rotate some of our players, blind Freddy could see it but not Nicks.

He did it with Tex and Max (albeit 2 or 3 weeks late for Max), if not for serious injuries or illness we still wouldn't have have seen Nank, Worrell or Keane.

Crouch only got a run cos Laird was out, not because Sloane was stinking it up and should have been dropped. Nicks would be pulling his hair out at how well Crouch has done, cant drop him and bring Sloane back into the midfield. It is highlighting his incompetence.

Fog shouldve had a few weeks off to get over his leg issue.

Been saying since round 1 Sloane should be our permanent sub this year, can play multiple positions, generally wont come on until everyone is exhausted, professional to keep his fitness up. It took Nicks till round 20 before he made this most obvious move.

Also makes a mockery of all the SANFL 'experts' on here "no one is knocking the door down". Might be worth remembering for the future guys - get your talent in the seniors ASAP.

Worrell should have played earlier.
Nankervis should have played earlier
McAdam shouldve been back in alot earlier.
Crouch shouldve had another go earlier, our midfield was getting pantsed. Most of us thought no but a big factor of that was that Sloane was never getting dropped for him and a midfiled of Laird, Crouch and Sloane aint going to work.

Still a firm no from me.

Once again his selection philosphy has been shown to be dreadful, four years in and he is still making glaring mistakes.

Its been for at least 6-8 weeks that some of us have been crying out to rotate some of our players, blind Freddy could see it but not Nicks.

He did it with Tex and Max (albeit 2 or 3 weeks late for Max), if not for serious injuries or illness we still wouldn't have have seen Nank, Worrell or Keane.

Crouch only got a run cos Laird was out, not because Sloane was stinking it up and should have been dropped. Nicks would be pulling his hair out at how well Crouch has done, cant drop him and bring Sloane back into the midfield. It is highlighting his incompetence.

Fog shouldve had a few weeks off to get over his leg issue.

Been saying since round 1 Sloane should be our permanent sub this year, can play multiple positions, generally wont come on until everyone is exhausted, professional to keep his fitness up. It took Nicks till round 20 before he made this most obvious move.

Also makes a mockery of all the SANFL 'experts' on here "no one is knocking the door down". Might be worth remembering for the future guys - get your talent in the seniors ASAP.

Worrell should have played earlier.
Nankervis should have played earlier
McAdam shouldve been back in alot earlier.
Crouch shouldve had another go earlier, our midfield was getting pantsed. Most of us thought no but a big factor of that was that Sloane was never getting dropped for him and a midfiled of Laird, Crouch and Sloane aint going to work.
I have to agree with everything... The biggest issue has been selection..

Why is it that these players who are playing well when selected were only selected because of injury?

We played sh1tty performers for so long .. ie sholl McHenry and even butts ... Their replacements came in and we look so much better.

Schoenberg is playing the way we expect. Crouch is back to his best. 2 inside players we were missing for much of the first half of the year.

We have improved but Nick's still leaves alot of questions

Here’s an interesting sliding doors moment in the 4th quarter of the Sun’s match..

From the end of the 2nd quarter all through the 3rd quarter, we kicked 8 points in a row, with the score being:
Crows 8.11 (59) to Suns 6.6 (42)
In the 4th quarter, the Suns had 4 scoring shots with 3.1. Thankfully, we kicked 5.0 to completely change the trend of the scoring with the previous 2 quarters.

Had the Suns kicked 4 straight goals and we continued with the poor kicking trend to score 5 behinds, we would have lost. Had we lost, surely the players were at fault for the loss and not Nicks right?

We had 4 similar games where poor kicking had cost us (we had more scoring shots but ended up with losses). For completeness sake, these losses were to Tigers, Pies (twice) and Dees.

Here’s the crazy part, had we won all 4 of those losses, we could be at the top of the ladder after this round! With us on equal points with Port and Pies (14 wins, 56 points).

This might turn out to be the biggest error of the season. Crouch probably should have been considered the moment Dawson's midfield move was a success. Even with a conservative approach, Crouch definitely should have been straight in once Dawson's disposal quality started to suffer a bit due to over-focusing on getting his own ball.

I have to agree with everything... The biggest issue has been selection..

Why is it that these players who are playing well when selected were only selected because of injury?

We played sh1tty performers for so long .. ie sholl McHenry and even butts ... Their replacements came in and we look so much better.

Schoenberg is playing the way we expect. Crouch is back to his best. 2 inside players we were missing for much of the first half of the year.

We have improved but Nick's still leaves alot of questions
I would think most of us thought Crouch was finished. The SANFL has allowed himself to reinvent his game. Nicks's failure was to not mix up his midfield. His plan was faulty, but he tried it repeatedly. It took injuries and massive form in the SANFL to get Matt and Shoenfeld back.

Same now that Borlase and Keane are playing. The changes were forced on Nicks not good judgment. Nick even took too long to give Worrel a start.
I love Sloaney but if we resign him, it's another mistake at the coaching level.

Let's be honest, very few of us were suggesting Crouch should play at any point this season. Saying he should have played earlier is pure hindsight analysis
From Big Footy posters for sure, but a coaching group can’t hide behind hindsight. It’s their job to select the best 22 and that’s based on their opinion, so if they haven’t selected the best 22 then that’s on them.

We also need to acknowledge that this coaching group wouldn’t have played Nank, Keane or Borlase if it wasn’t for injury. We could have gone the whole year not knowing and then having to make list management decisions.

The people selecting the team have access to Crouch every day at training. Random internet posters do not.

I don't think we can say "we know better than the coaches, Crouch shouldn't have played" and also say "the coaches know better than us, Crouch should have played" at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back