Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the 20 minute presser.

I was wanting Yze just for the clarko exposure.
But, geez he's saying all the right things.

Family back
Culture
Listen to the leaders
Playing youth
Bringing back the fun in footy
Taking the game on
The members walking away proud of how we played

Good luck Matthew, hopefully the rest of the coaching appointments to come will support you and our players and put us back in contention.

Looks to be a really strong appointment.

Last edited:
A bit too positive in his assessment of the club and list for me. I don't actually think we have a great list or a great club at the moment. I'm not expecting him to bag the club in anyway, but to make it sound like everything is great, makes me wonder what the panel was looking for.

I wished he had something critical to say to be honest.

Slightly too Kumbaya, let's all be mates and everything will look after itself.

I know I'm being very critical and it's just one press conference, his first press conference as coach, but this was just my initial reaction to his press conference.

Ultimately talk is cheap and the results on field will be what counts.

I dunno, there was lots of talk of a rebuild and potentially not winning games for a little while. He also talked about inconsistency that arises when you play young players and that's what supporters should expect.

He's not going to come out and say "the list sucks and needs to be turned over" but he made it clear there will be changes. He did so while praising the core group of players that remain.

I think we are going down the rebuild path while saying as little as possible to the members so they still rock up

I dunno, there was lots of talk of a rebuild and potentially not winning games for a little while. He also talked about inconsistency that arises when you play young players and that's what supporters should expect.

He's not going to come out and say "the list sucks and needs to be turned over" but he made it clear there will be changes. He did so while praising the core group of players that remain.

I think we are going down the rebuild path while saying as little as possible to the members so they still rock up

Also I did like that he said we're not far away. Takes away rebuild as an excuse for losing, despite us going down that route.

The difficulty with calls for patience is that there's absolutely no reason to have faith that our club either has a plan, if it did that it would be the right one, and if it did and it was could implement it.

Patience for its own sake is just inaction.
I think the important thing will be seeing a reaction when we do lose. Walsh was pretty forthright that he wasn't happy with our performance and he'd go to the SANFL to try and find a solution. At the very least it gave you hope they were working on a plan to turn it around, even if it wasn't immediate.

Pyke would just say the same lines again and again, not change personnel, ignore bad performances in the AFL, ignore good performances in the SANFL and generally be very reluctant to change anything because "our best is good enough" despite the group being incapable of getting near that level. The losses pile up and we don't look to do anything about it. That will get the fanbase up in arms.

What’s Younie’s ability like? Can he become a line coach and Hart takes the SANFL team?
He was in more of a manager position when ROK was coaching, so maybe he'd go back to that role?

Was the Teague appointment a shrewd one or just one to appease the fans and players?

I thought the Bolton appointment was a good one with the Teague appointment being one that just fell in our lap.

With the huge turmoil inside the Crows as well as the supporter discontent, some people may have been expecting one of the 'boys club' to get the gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the important thing will be seeing a reaction when we do lose. Walsh was pretty forthright that he wasn't happy with our performance and he'd go to the SANFL to try and find a solution. At the very least it gave you hope they were working on a plan to turn it around, even if it wasn't immediate.

Pyke would just say the same lines again and again, not change personnel, ignore bad performances in the AFL, ignore good performances in the SANFL and generally be very reluctant to change anything because "our best is good enough" despite the group being incapable of getting near that level. The losses pile up and we don't look to do anything about it. That will get the fanbase up in arms.

He was in more of a manager position when ROK was coaching, so maybe he'd go back to that role?

Pyke was well suited to developing players due to that with players like Milera/McGovern benefiting from that approach, but yeah, he became very reactive and lost this season.

Also, to not realise senior players would be your downfall was quite staggering.

A bit too positive in his assessment of the club and list for me. I don't actually think we have a great list or a great club at the moment. I'm not expecting him to bag the club in anyway, but to make it sound like everything is great, makes me wonder what the panel was looking for.

I wished he had something critical to say to be honest.

Slightly too Kumbaya, let's all be mates and everything will look after itself.

I know I'm being very critical and it's just one press conference, his first press conference as coach, but this was just my initial reaction to his press conference.

Ultimately talk is cheap and the results on field will be what counts.
Sanderson v Burns 2012

Nicks v Burns 2019

The hardest thing about our list projections (except martys) is that it genuinely could fall anywhere from bottom 2 to top 7. A lot of it will be on those players, for whatever reason, that went on strike this year. Do they believe in the coach? Are they going to coast again? Selection and game plan come into it

The kumbaya stuff is appropriate for right now. The club has been fractured and its time to have a group hug and bring everyone back into the loving arms of AFC

I did hear rejuvanation as a snippet

Pyke was well suited to developing players due to that with players like Milera/McGovern benefiting from that approach, but yeah, he became very reactive and lost this season.

Also, to not realise senior players would be your downfall was quite staggering.
Its one of those things where I think you need to give a longer rope to young players and a shorter one to senior players. The fact he was originally willing to give that longer rope to Gov, Cameron, Milera etc was good, but then when we had senior players with some awful form he kept them in when you have higher expectations on them being consistent than you do on someone in their first 50 games or whatever.

He did seem to give a shorter rope to some senior guys this year, but there was absolutely no consistency with it and certain changes seemed more personal than based on football form given others poor form was ignored.

Come on mate, be realistic - he's hardly going to come in and say 'the list is in dire straits', in his first press conference.
Wasn't expecting him to bag the club as I said in my post.

Was hoping for something along the lines of:

"We've definitely got some things we need to work on, importantly I have some ideas about how we might fix them"

Something that spoke to the honesty of our situation and gave hope that he'd critically assessed the situation and had a plan and a strategy.

I'm really hoping it wasn't just the "relationships" element that got him the job and I'm really hoping he has bthe courage to speak his mind.

I'm also really hoping that it isn't the Sanderson situation and that the reason he got the job wasn't because he thought we were "only a few percent" off.

Alot of judgement for one presser I know.

I'm also really hoping that it isn't the Sanderson situation and that the reason he got the job wasn't because he thought we were "only a few percent" off.

In some ways, Sanderson was correct though - he got us to a prelim and 5 points from a grand final appearance, in his first season.

Listening to 5aa interview. Looks like he wants to structure our forward line smaller similar to the Tigers. Looks like he wants to model the Tigers plan as a turnover game as well. Mentioned having two tall forwards (3max) but sounded like he preferred just two. Makes things interesting with Tex Lynch Fog Himmelberg and Frampton. Mentioned Jones/McHenry playing pressure fwd/mid roles. Dont mind his thinking already. We have played too tall for too long.

In some ways, Sanderson was correct though - he got us to a prelim and 5 points from a grand final appearance, in his first season.

Sando was pretty good for the first year to be fair.

It was only after the "one kick away from a GF" that he started losing his way. Not helped by matters outside of his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back