McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow here's another example for you :D

swing and a miss.

Do you also think it's likely we offered an injury plagued player who had only managed 10 average SANFL games a multi-year extension when he had a year left on his contract and had not played a single AFL game? That we likely did something unheard of in the AFL let alone the AFC? Do you subscribe to Elite's crazy theory?

Last edited:
Oh I know, you had to keep reading.

Apparently if we offered 1 extra year it would be crazy thinking, a bit like taking VB down. Even though none of us know, Pdub knows what happened.

Come on Tweedledee, no one suggested that it was extreme to take down the sign, but it's telling that this is how you framed the argument in your head and Tweedledum agrees with you.

But yes it would have been extreme to offer McGovern a 2-year+ extension before he had played a game, when he had struggled with injuries before and after being drafted and had not shown any dominance in the SANFL.

Come on Tweedledee, no one suggested that it was extreme to take down the sign, but it's telling that this is how you framed the argument in your head and Tweedledum agrees with you.

But yes it would have been extreme to offer McGovern a 2-year+ extension before he had played a game, when he had struggled with injuries before and after being drafted and had not shown any dominance in the SANFL.
As opposed to how your framing the reason it wasn't changed and then a day later it was changed?

It's interesting how you are framing the McGovern extension, I've read "multi-year deal" and now "2- year+", I'll dumb it down for you again "1 more year than the 1 already given". An extra year isn't flabbergasting especially given we extended his contract by a year despite all your concerns.

As opposed to how your framing the reason it wasn't changed and then a day later it was changed?

It's interesting how you are framing the McGovern extension, I've read "multi-year deal" and now "2- year+", I'll dumb it down for you again "1 more year than the 1 already given". An extra year isn't flabbergasting especially given we extended his contract by a year despite all your concerns.

It was a reason why it hadn't changed in the 2 years since Tex was made captain, the reason still stands.

so I suppose we offered 1 extra year to Betts & Jenkins too but they turned it down? We have probably also offered Gallucci a multi-year extension but he has declined to sign it. Man, our club sucks when you make up these imaginary unlikely scenarios that put the club in a bad light!

It was a reason why it hadn't changed in the 2 years since Tex was made captain, the reason still stands.

so I suppose we offered 1 extra year to Betts & Jenkins too but they turned it down? We have probably also offered Gallucci a multi-year extension but he has declined to sign it. Man, our club sucks when you make up these imaginary unlikely scenarios that put the club in a bad light!
Why would you suggest such nonsense when they were given multi-year deals and at the high end of contract terms.

And again I've said I don't know what we offered, you are the one pretending you know.

Why would you suggest such nonsense when they were given multi-year deals and at the high end of contract terms.

And again I've said I don't know what we offered, you are the one pretending you know.

but it's just one more year on top of what was offered to them.

Do you know of any other players at other clubs in similar situations to what McGovern was 12 months ago, who were given 2+ year extensions with a year to run, players who had injury issues, were not first round picks and had not played a game?

1-year extensions happen all the time, Gore got one from Geelong, Burton got one from Hawthorn. I could be mistaken, it may happen all the time and I never notice, but I can't recall any club giving a player who was in McGovern's situation any more than a 1-year extension. Do you have any examples?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm comfortable that Andy Otten is still on the list and believe he'd be getting games for a good portion of the other clubs . A high talent with good footy IQ

Signing Sam Shaw for 2 years never made
any sense to me , they should have rookied him there and then

It takes 24 months to get back to AFL level after an ACL, Otten was never going to show he could still be an AFL player in 2016, giving him the extra year meant he wouldn't try push himself too far to gain another contract, 2 years for Otten makes sense, especially when he is most likely on bottom dollar for this contract. His contract was essentially "spend 2016 in the SANFL getting your body right, show you can be an AFL footballer in 2017".

I think they would regret Shaw's contract, but internally there were people who rated his potential very highly and it wasn't his soft tissue injuries that ended his career, my best guess is that they were very confident they had solved his issues and couldn't have foreseen his concussion.

This is trump like alternate facts

24 months is a fake fact you made up out of nowhere. Then you proceed to outline a conclusion off that fake fact

Everybody is different, recovery times are different for every player, there is no hard and fast timeline that a player will be back to 100%, so while it's not a "fact" that every player takes 24 months, most people are smart enough to know recovery is a case by case basis, so I don't need to explain that to non-Sanders people.

You must not be paying attention if you think it's common for players to dominate after missing 12 months with injury.

Everybody is different, recovery times are different for every player, there is no hard and fast timeline that a player will be back to 100%, so while it's not a "fact" that every player takes 24 months, most people are smart enough to know recovery is a case by case basis, so I don't need to explain that to non-Sanders people.

You must not be paying attention if you think it's common for players to dominate after missing 12 months with injury.
You said it takes 24 months to get back to AFL level, not 24 months to dominate, that's a pretty big difference in performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back