McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm saying is we don't know. We could have offered him a 2 year deal if we rated him highly enough.

We re-signed him in March 2016, which means discussions would have started January/February 2016. We obviously rated him to give him another year before he had played a game.

What I picked up on was the fallback position of Pdub who automatically sided with the club without knowing what happened.

It would have been unheard of to offer him a 2-year extension when he was a late pick who was overlooked in multiple drafts due to injury, who had just had an injury-interrupted first season at the club and had only managed 10 OK SANFL games.

now, how did I side with the club in these last few posts? what is the club's opinion that I am agreeing with? where am I patting the club on the back for their decisions? I would appreciate it if you could quote me.

It would have been unheard of to offer him a 2-year extension when he was a late pick who was overlooked in multiple drafts due to injury, who had just had an injury-interrupted first season at the club and had only managed 10 OK SANFL games.

now, how did I side with the club in these last few posts? what is the club's opinion that I am agreeing with? where am I patting the club on the back for their decisions? I would appreciate it if you could quote me.
He was a pick in the 40s, that's not late. We gave him 1 without playing a game, we obviously rated him to re-sign him so early, it wouldn't have been a stretch if we gave him 2 years instead of 1.

If we offered him 2 and he only wanted 1 and we couldn't convince him, would that look good or bad on the club?

He was a pick in the 40s, that's not late. We gave him 1 without playing a game, we obviously rated him to re-sign him so early, it wouldn't have been a stretch if we gave him 2 years instead of 1.

If we offered him 2 and he only wanted 1 and we couldn't convince him, would that look good or bad on the club?

do you think that's what happened?

He hadn't played a single game when he signed the extension, the club wasn't going to offer him more.
Nah don't accept that ......draftees that are 18 and only just drafted are given contract extensions .....the club saw enough of McGovern on the training track to make an assessment

Nah don't accept that ......draftees that are 18 and only just drafted are given contract extensions .....the club saw enough of McGovern on the training track to make an assessment

Top 10 picks do. Not players who were skipped in multiple drafts and haven't been able to put a full season together without injury since juniors.

Offering him a one-year extension at the time it was given was a huge sign of faith by the club and McGovern would have jumped at it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely making a suggestion as to why it always feels like its happening more to us than it is to other teams.
Might be onto something in some ways

On the flip side those with broken families can be more unstable and may just suddenly retire altogether or not cope with the demands . It's an individual thing

Strong characters are best overall... VB despite not being a great player never looked like having interest in leaving , Pavlich the same at Freo

do you think that's what happened?
I think there is every chance we may have offered him 2 years, but we don't know.

We know his brother is a gun.

They would have seen what McGovern was able to produce on the track. They saw enough to like that we gave him a year extension at the start of his second year without playing a game.

To do that we must have rated him otherwise we would have waited until later in the season to see if he could stay on the park if that was a real concern.

They were right because he not only stayed on the park but was very promising, note this is me praising the club ;).

Every new draftee gets 2 years, so every player is a risk. They had the benefit of having watched him for a year. So offering him 2 instead of one is not crazy talk. It's only 1 more year than he signed for.

We gave Otten 2 years when really it could have been 1 given his injury concerns. We gave Shaw 2 years when he's had a history of not playing.

We would all be very happy if he was signed until the end of 2018.

Top 10 picks do. Not players who were skipped in multiple drafts and haven't been able to put a full season together without injury since juniors.

Offering him a one-year extension at the time it was given was a huge sign of faith by the club and McGovern would have jumped at it.
What about players then chosen at pick #81?

The club can't win ... sign 'em up too long or too short in some people's eyes.

Eddie signs for 3 years - people are questioning if it's a bit long.
McGovern gets one year extension before playing a game, has a cracker of a first year in AFL - club should have sown him up for longer.

Every club has talent that might move, we need to stop being scared every time one of our young players catches the eye of another team, even if they are from interstate. Every club goes through it. Right now he is a young gun with a chance to deliver some real worth to us in 2017 ... that's good enough for me.

McGovern gets one year extension before playing a game, has a cracker of a first year in AFL - club should have sown him up for longer.

Every club has talent that might move, we need to stop being scared every time one of our young players catches the eye of another team, even if they are from interstate. Every club goes through it. Right now he is a young gun with a chance to deliver some real worth to us in 2017 ... that's good enough for me.
I'm not saying this is my position but one could argue we got this the wrong way around.

We gave a long term deal to an older player who wasn't going anywhere and a shorter one to a young player we could lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We offered otten 2 and he hasnt played a game for the duration of the contract - thats not looking too flash now

We shouldn't be held to ransom either. He isnt a free agent, so stop thinking you are mentality is what i want to see in the afl.

Get rid of the psd. If you are out of contract, you go into the national draft or you are traded.

We shouldn't be held to ransom either. He isnt a free agent, so stop thinking you are mentality is what i want to see in the afl.

Get rid of the psd. If you are out of contract, you go into the national draft or you are traded.
Agree the PSD needs to be ditched . There are enough ways to move clubs these days and that shouldn't be one of them as well

McKay 4 years - 4 too long
Eddie 3 years - 1 too long
Otten 2 years - 1 too long
Shaw 2 years - 1 or 2 too long
McGovern 1 year - 1 too short

Don't anyone pretend otherwise. Our recruiting team is great, our resigning/retention team is s...house
I'm comfortable that Andy Otten is still on the list and believe he'd be getting games for a good portion of the other clubs . A high talent with good footy IQ

Signing Sam Shaw for 2 years never made
any sense to me , they should have rookied him there and then

I remember an interview with McGovern from early last year when they asked if played like his brother or his dad, and he got a bit defensive as he wants to be known as a top player himself, not just Jeremy's brother or son of a former AFL player. Then the interview continued to ask who he is more similar too and he once again reiterated he was his own player and completely different to both. Hoping he realizes that the best chance of having his own identity as a footballer is to play here in Adelaide where he is established as one of the most promising forwards in the comp

I remember an interview with McGovern from early last year when they asked if played like his brother or his dad, and he got a bit defensive as he wants to be known as a top player himself, not just Jeremy's brother or son of a former AFL player. Then the interview continued to ask who he is more similar too and he once again reiterated he was his own player and completely different to both. Hoping he realizes that the best chance of having his own identity as a footballer is to play here in Adelaide where he is established as one of the most promising forwards in the comp
That's the message I would be whispering in his ear

''have 10 good years here at Adelaide and nobody will ever call you Jeremys brother but the minute you step off the plane people will look at you and compare''

And maybe we as supporters then need to stop comparing him as well :)

I'm comfortable that Andy Otten is still on the list and believe he'd be getting games for a good portion of the other clubs . A high talent with good footy IQ

Signing Sam Shaw for 2 years never made
any sense to me , they should have rookied him there and then
Which clubs? Speed and recovery were never Otten's strengths and they've not been helped by injury. He was a great player and I'm still holding out some hope he may reprise his glory days but not holding my breath.

Shaw was a just a lost cause unfortunately

Which clubs? Speed and recovery were never Otten's strengths and they've not been helped by injury. He was a great player and I'm still holding out some hope he may reprise his glory days but not holding my breath.

Shaw was a just a lost cause unfortunately
Collingwood Essendon Richmond Brisbane Carlton for starters

That's the message I would be whispering in his ear

''have 10 good years here at Adelaide and nobody will ever call you Jeremys brother but the minute you step off the plane people will look at you and compare''

And maybe we as supporters then need to stop comparing him as well :)
Damn means we can't recruit Jeremy

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back