Opinion McKernan....where to next? Stay or PSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is he's too short to be a full time ruckman and on top of this he has a harder time finding possessions than Matthew Clark did. It's the same story as Sellar and McKernan, only he's shorter and makes them look like good key position players. Craig is destined to become a good SANFL ruck, but nothing more.

The issue with Craig is that he's only 195cm, but he's huge for a man that size. The guy is a behemoth. It's just too hard on his body for him to try to keep up with the athletic AFL players, and yet he's not big enough to out-tap other ruckmen.

Contrast him to someone like McKernan or Sellar, who effectively have normal-sized AFL bodies stretched out to 197cm.

Just announced on channel 10 news....... Said he is out of contract so we may get nothing for him.
Looks like the end of the trade period coming to an end and no interest in McKernan. The dilemma facing the Crows is whether to delist or try and tempt Shaun with another contract. There is no doubt he is a required player BUT if he wants out maybe the time to delist is NOW. This could save the delisting of a player who wants to be here. It might mean that Graham might have to step up if Jacobs or Pods are injured. It is a pity because I felt that McKernan was just starting to show some form before his elbow incident.

Did he want to go because of lack of opportunity or home sickness? It's likely that even if he does stay and come good he will just want to leave next time. If he signs again he should be aware that there's no "Crows repaying the faith" or whatever next year and we will trade him for a good deal next time if we want (not in writing).

That article says he is contracted but can anyone confirm it from Adelaide? Make a difference in what I would do with him.

This from Rucci 3 days ago:
CROWS ruckman-forward Shaun McKernan seems Adelaide's last play in the AFL trade period.
But the uncontracted Victorian's hopes of finding a Melbourne-based club to give him a new start after 32 AFL games in five seasons at Adelaide appear slim.

Nick Bowen in September:
McKernan, who turned 23 on Sunday, is out of contract

From when he was suspended:
"Sanderson was impressed by McKernan's aggression last Saturday night and while the suspension is untimely, it won't hurt the 22-year-old's chances of a contract renewal at season's end."

Noble on September 5:
“The report was wrong,” Crows List Manager David Noble said.
“He is out of contract and our discussions with Shaun and his management team are private and ongoing. We did meet today and he has not quit the club.”

I believe McKernan will decide his future and wont be upto the Crows

I'm Sure crows would like to keep him on the list and will offer him another contract but if a victorian team has gotten in his ear and assured him a spot on their list he will certainly leave, But if this is not the case he will have no choice but to stay with tail between his legs and will need to commit to becoming a better player than he has as it will be his last year to make a career out of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even after nobody showed interest in him during the trade period? o_O

We don't know that.

We don't know they didn't show any interest, what we do know us - they were not willing to pay our asking price.

Clubs maybe interested but were not willing to pay a top 50 pick for him.

Anyone else worried that we have a bunch of players no one else wants?

If no one wants Smack should we be offering him a contract ourselves?

We have a bunch of players everyone wants too, such is the fate of all clubs.

As for McKernan, the question over him becomes "Will we get more by keeping him for another year than what we would get with pick #46?", and not being a follower of juniors I couldn't tell you

The way I see it, if no other club showed any interest in me and my current club offered me a contract - it would be, where do I sign.

The longer this drags out, the more obvious it is he is going into the PSD.

I'd give him to Tuesday night to sign the contract, if he doesn't - delist him Wednesday morning.

The way I see it, if no other club showed any interest in me and my current club offered me a contract - it would be, where do I sign.

The longer this drags out, the more obvious it is he is going into the PSD.

I'd give him to Tuesday night to sign the contract, if he doesn't - delist him Wednesday morning.

Wont that make him a delisted free agent and able to walk to who ever he wants without being forced into the PSD?

I think he will stay!
Me too .......and i am glad as i still have high hopes

He showed some glimpses ......albeit fleeting ...of what we could end up getting with Smack
Still believe there's plenty of upside & glad to keep

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion McKernan....where to next? Stay or PSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back