News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Tackle.

1. What a win

Can you save your job with one win?

All the talk out of the west suggested Eagles’ coach Adam Simpson was in real trouble after another flogging from Fremantle last weekend.

The board was weighing up sacking him with two years to run on his deal was the hot tip.

But the extraordinary victory over Western Bulldogs on Sunday says plenty about Simpson, whether he had lost the players, and those tanking claims.

The win has cost the Eagles Harley Reid, as the top draft pick will now go to North Melbourne.

North list manager Brady Rawlings would have popped a bottle of champagne as the Eagles notched one of the upsets of the season.

But can West Coast turf the coach now? It would be hard, even though the body of work across the season has been putrid for the bulk of it.

The players were right behind him on Sunday and they played until the end to register their third win of the season.

The Eagles’ board has a big call to make and things got even more difficult in a sense after the upset win on Sunday.

Did they overturn the result of the wrong game?
prayer GIF

If North do get the spoon it’ll mean they’ve lost 21 games in a row. That’s pretty brutal.

Fitzroy lost 19 in a row and only managed back to back spoons. They also won more games over a four year period than North have since 2020.

Swans managed 3 spoons in a row, and had a streak of 26 losses, but also managed more wins over that four year period.

Wonder if the "worse than Fitzroy" comments will come for what is objectively the shittest team in history?

That's because Melbourne will probably be where Reid ends up now.

If McKay compo does come through as 2, it's likely North will accept Melbourne's x2 firsts for pick 1.

He forgets the huge deal (marketing wise) North put on JHF. Povvo club needs the number 1 pick label to sell merchandise and memberships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in AAA Damo goes hard at north, saying they don't deserve the #1 pick and the AFL should look at ways to prevent clubs from having 3x #1 picks in a row.
Essentially called them tin rattlers and that clubs shouldn't be rewarded with draft capital for their own stupidity.
Just saw that and was very surprised seeing as he is a Norf supporter. Really doubled down and said it wont help them, high level talent isnt enough to dig them out of the hole they are in. Losing is ingrained in that club now.
Which is worth considering when posters start losing their heads and hating on the club for having the audacity to have a go rather than tank.

in AAA Damo goes hard at north, saying they don't deserve the #1 pick and the AFL should look at ways to prevent clubs from having 3x #1 picks in a row.
Essentially called them tin rattlers and that clubs shouldn't be rewarded with draft capital for their own stupidity.

Credit where it is due.

The media narrative should be this is utterly embarrassing for North and they have a very winnable game on the weekend. If they don't show some pride and win Reid should ask not to go there. 3 spoons in a row in the modern era is pathetic.

I wont hold my breath though.

Yeah not holding my breath for Kane to edit his takes...

Outspoken AFL pundit Kane Cornes has called on top AFL Draft prospect Harley Reid to avoid a potential move to Norf, saying he worried for his career if he headed there.

In the wake of Norf's historical wooden spoon 3-peat, Cornes said Reid should take matters into his own hands to prevent Norf taking him with the number one pick in the draft.

Speaking on Nine, Cornes said Reid - widely tipped to be the No.1 pick in this year’s draft - should seriously consider whether he wanted to join a “historically bad and financially insolvent” Norf.

“No one’s going to want to play for this club, because it’s the worst we’ve ever seen and if I am Harley Reid, which is the top prospect in the draft, I would not want to be going there and I would be having real concerns if I was his family or if I was him,” he said.

“You say ‘yeah, you can draft me, but after two years I’m going West’.”

Cornes said Reid was at the risk of stalling his promising career before it even began if he joined Norf team criticised for giving up too easily against Everyone.

Not letting anyone change my mind that a win yesterday was more important than no 1 pick.

Watch how the boys sang the song, says it all.

That feeling is addictive and will drive the squad no matter what draft picks we bring in.

Need Luck and good management with injuries and fitness and we can start building.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just as happy with a few good high end draft picks instead of 1xReid..seems a better gamble or investment.

Board meeting today probably a bit pi**ed off about winning that game. Don't want to see them sack Simmo, but winning that game could have broken the camels back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back