News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In brighter news

Looking at those pictures it looks like, unless my eyes are deceiving me Livingston is the same height as Archer Reid.

Reid is 203 cm, I think Livingston has grown, kids a big unit.

Last edited:

Looking at those pictures it looks like, unless my eyes are deceiving me Livingston is the same height as Archer Reid.

Reid is 203 cm, I thing Livingston has grown, kids a big unit.
Where do you see him playing Monocle? If he’s seen as more of ruck being around 203cm is a good start compared what he was originally listed as

From the Herald Sun…. Between 20/30 coaches went overseas or interstate for PD.

WHERE COACHES ARE HEADED THIS OFF-SEASON

Adelaide Crows

Adelaide head coach Matthew Nicks and head of football Adam Kelly opted to go across the ditch to spend a week inside one of the most successful sporting organisations in the world.

The pair travelled to Wellington to work with New Zealand Rugby. While the All Blacks and their coaches are currently preparing for the World Cup final in France, Nicks and Kelly spent time with Super Rugby coaches and managers, as well as presenting to a conference at the NZ Campus of Innovation and Sport.

Fremantle

It’s not just the coaches getting involved at the Dockers, with Justin Longmuir and several of his Fremantle players heading to the US this off-season.

Gold Coast

Damien Hardwick has settled in on the Gold Coast and after a long trip to Europe earlier in the year, he’s opted for a quiet off-season in preparation for 2024.

Hardwick is getting stuck into business at the Suns but some of his assistants are looking local for inspiration. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Hardwick is getting stuck into business at the Suns but some of his assistants are looking local for inspiration. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
However, some of his assistants will be spending time with the Supercars teams when they come to town for the GC 500 this weekend. They’re hoping to take in some different perspectives of how a team operates to bring back some insights for the Suns as they look to make their first finals appearance.

GWS

Several members of staff, including coach of the year Adam Kingsley, have headed overseas as the Giants look to go one better in 2024.

Kingsley is off to America where he is spending a large chunk of time in Florida with the Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins and Florida Panthers. He’s then set to move up the coast to both Boston and Philadelphia.

Other coaches are off to Europe to learn from some of the world’s best football teams. They’ll head to Kylian Mbappe’s PSG before also spending time at legendary Italian club, Parma.

Hawthorn

Sam Mitchell and his assistant Adrian Hickmott have spent a week with Premier League giants, Tottenham.

Spurs are the talk of the town under Aussie manager Ange Postecoglou, and Mitchell is linking up again with the former Socceroos boss after also spending time with him while he was at Celtic.

Clarkson is headed back to the US and will link up with Steve Kerr and the Golden State Warriors once again. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Clarkson is headed back to the US and will link up with Steve Kerr and the Golden State Warriors once again. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Melbourne

After taking some well-deserved time off after a long season, Simon Goodwin travelled to New Zealand for several days at the end of October for professional development.

North Melbourne

Alastair Clarkson has turned to the US again as he takes on a two-week trip to the west coast.

He is set to visit two American sporting powerhouses, the San Francisco 49ers and the Golden State Warriors, as he prepares for his second season with the Kangaroos.

Sydney

A trio of Sydney coaches – John Longmire, Dean Cox and Jarrad McVeigh – have been put through their paces with a busy US trip.

They started with a four-day executive leadership course at Harvard, before staying in Massachusetts to spend time with both the Boston Celtics and New England Patriots.

They’re ending their trip with some time in New York where they will work with both the Brooklyn Nets and the New York Rangers.

West Coast

After a difficult year on the field, the Eagles have three coaches, including Adam Simpson, heading overseas for professional development.

Simpson will travel to the US alongside strategy and stoppages coach Jarrad Schofield. Forwards coach Luke Webster will be off to New Zealand before the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And The Worst has doubled down. Quoting Eagles fans on social media who agree with Suma.

What a rag of a paper. I hope someone from there monitors this thread.

It's just dumb journalism. They even quoted a nuffie who suggested Simo should wait for the off season to take leave. It IS THE OFF SEASON you bunch of clowns. Thay can't even quote someone who sounds plausible.

Suppose Suma has been knocked back so many times he's resigned to spending the rest of his career trying to beat Kane Cornes on producing salty click bait articles.

I have the same thoughts. It is not the end of the world and it is not a definitive data point for making a judgement of Simpson. But it is a data point pointing in the direction that Simpson is maybe not as invested in making sure things go to plan as what most AFL coaches are. Most AFL coaches would not want to be going on overseas holidays at this time of year and would probably argue with their club if it was suggested they should. Given how awfully mismanaged our recent pre seasons have been with players coming out of them with big fat beer guts you would think Simpson would want to be here to make sure none of that happens again. If he wanted an overseas holiday he should have gone in September/October.

As for this whole proffessional development thing and going and seeing EPL or NFL clubs, i doubt anything of any substance comes out of that. No AFL club has the budget of the NY jets so it is not like we can copy their programs.

When you don't have the R&D budget others do it's smart to visit those bigger wealthier organisations to learn from their experience.

What worked and what didn't.

Where to focus your limited resources and where not to waste them.

You don't get that?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you see him playing Monocle? If he’s seen as more of ruck being around 203cm is a good start compared what he was originally listed as

I think he will primarily be a FF.

Thus far I haven’t seen the agility and running patterns to suggest that he can play CHF.

Where he does potentially come into his own, is that he is a more than handy ruck and as such, I see no reason why he wouldn’t be able to do all or most of the forward ruck duties.

The other variable that he has is raw aggression, which in his pre AFL games, he has never been afraid of showing.
Often a big ready to rumble tall, that splits open packs and causes the ball to hit the ground, is a great counter tactic for the small cunning crumber's to come into their own.

For me its way to early to have a feel if he will make it, however I will say this, I sincerely hope he does, as I am a huge fan of players that have a physical presence about them, a touch of "James Hunt" about the way they play, as they change a teams dynamics and for the better.

Player Comparison: Charlie Dixon at Port.

Last edited:
You don’t become the apex predator by delegating.

lion GIF

And in nature the female lioness and her sisters do most of the hunting.

big cat GIF by BBC Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back