News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, Suma has become such a bitter malcontent.

Hard to find anything that he has ever said or written ( cough, cough ) had written for him, that is anything but criticism, in regard to all things Adam Simpson.

Comes across like a bloke that is still haunted and pissed off, about missing out on the Head Coaching jig, to Simpson.

Suma comes across as a person that has some deep seated character flaws, because he sounds like the sort of bloke who constantly bags the shit out of an old girlfriend, that dumped him.

Time to move on Peter, trying to justify yourself by invalidating others, just makes you look like a flog.

It’s not about micro managing, clearly you have not coached.
It’s about making sure every single department that has an effect on his role is doing their job.
Assistants get paid a quarter of what senior coaches do for a reason. They simply don’t have anywhere near the responsibility.
Unfortunately for Assistant coaches in recent times they have been getting fired and blamed for the poor performances of senior coaches. That is a very worrying trend on its own and maybe for another thread.
Anyway we will agree to disagree and I wish you a merry Xmas.
No, i haven't 'coached' but I have managed my own departments/outlets for a decade.

Never once did micromanage those people around me, thinking it would 'improve' things that needed doing so.

A 2 week break from training in the ore-season before Xmas for the head coach isn't going to mean anything in regards to the team's performance going into next season.

After the break would be a different story, because that's when the real stuff begins but for now the fitness team and assistant coaches can easily manage basic drills and fitness program whilst the senior coaches do personal development to actually improve the side's performance overall.

No point having leaders at all if you can't trust them to implement your plans moving forwards, which is an incredibly archaic mindset

Couple of quick points

1) Has it actually been said Schofield went with Simpson or has he done/doing a separate US trip.
2) As for micromanaging- I’m almost certain that was Hardwick’s issue that nearly got him fired in 2016 and a big part of Richmond’s success came about after more responsibility/autonomy was given to assistants. Two of those assistants, Macrae and Kingsley, are enjoying success as head coaches. One of the big criticisms of Lyon was his micromanaging of the coaching department

Coaching has changed to the point where the senior coach is less hands on and more of an overseer

Agree it’s not as big an issue as maybe Suma is making it out to be but for a coach in my opinion is fighting to keep his job one would think that he would not miss a thing and be on top of every moving part.
I have the same thoughts. It is not the end of the world and it is not a definitive data point for making a judgement of Simpson. But it is a data point pointing in the direction that Simpson is maybe not as invested in making sure things go to plan as what most AFL coaches are. Most AFL coaches would not want to be going on overseas holidays at this time of year and would probably argue with their club if it was suggested they should. Given how awfully mismanaged our recent pre seasons have been with players coming out of them with big fat beer guts you would think Simpson would want to be here to make sure none of that happens again. If he wanted an overseas holiday he should have gone in September/October.

As for this whole proffessional development thing and going and seeing EPL or NFL clubs, i doubt anything of any substance comes out of that. No AFL club has the budget of the NY jets so it is not like we can copy their programs.

He could have made his point(s) with about half of the words he used. Maybe less

Essentially Sumich is saying Simpson should have done ALL the player exit interviews and leaving overseas during preseason is ill timed/poorly planned

Hard to disagree that he should’ve done the exit interviews personally although I will say that in the weeks leading up to the end of the season Simpson was under immense pressure and there was significant doubt if he would retain his job. With that in mind, it’s arguable that he wasn’t perhaps in the best frame of mind for those interviews and needed some time and space away from the club

As for the trip. We don’t know when it was planned for but such a trip was raised mid-season by Eddie McChins so it could well have been mapped out months ago. Timing may also have been subject to availability of the places he’s visiting although that’s a guess

Maybe he could have gone before the players returned from their own break but I suspect with new S&C staff coming in and a very important draft, Simpson is likely to have been planning the preseason program in detail as well as some input into the draft

Ultimately, he’s missed this week and the end of last week so 3, maybe 4, sessions all up at a time when the pattern of training had been well established

Yes, it is odd for the senior coach to be away during preseason and there is validity to question of whether it is in the best interest of the club. However, if you’re going to have what comes across as a bit of an unhinged rant maybe do a little bit of work to find out why it was now and what he was doing prior to preseason

I don’t think it’s as big an issue as Sumich has made out but nor do I think it’s unreasonable to raise it

Here’s the article in full for people to make their own assessment

Thought it was all just alot of click bait to be honest (which Suma is becoming an expert in) but I do agree it is kinda weird he didn't do all the exit interviews

Was the same paper reporting on multiple occasions about the intensity of training prior to the break :think:
Can only imagine how much more intense it would have been had Simmo been there ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not about micro managing, clearly you have not coached.
It’s about making sure every single department that has an effect on his role is doing their job.
Assistants get paid a quarter of what senior coaches do for a reason. They simply don’t have anywhere near the responsibility.
Unfortunately for Assistant coaches in recent times they have been getting fired and blamed for the poor performances of senior coaches. That is a very worrying trend on its own and maybe for another thread.
Anyway we will agree to disagree and I wish you a merry Xmas.
What about when they get the credit for making a grand final in 15 snd winning it in 18? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back