JUDDanaut

Senior List
Apr 30, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
All the freo supporters wont stop bragging how apparently they have around 34 000 members this year in total.

I was just curious how are we going in our membership numbers for this year?

Do you guys read through every thread on the Eagles board or something ? ;)

To answer the question, I think I heard Nissy say that the club was aiming to get around 38,000 - so they'd probably be around that mark.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Do you guys read through every thread on the Eagles board or something ? ;)
We have to make sure that you blokes don't get too excited. (For your own good of course) ;)

To answer the question, I think I heard Nissy say that the club was aiming to get around 38,000 - so they'd probably be around that mark.

We may have more, 34k already. Wont be much room at our home derby.

Interestingly enough about the bragging thread....

Not one post on there had the words e-girls, seagulls, wet toast, slime, filth, or any other term of enderment they use to talk about our superior club......theymust have realised that there are other sides in the AFL....Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Originally posted by USAEagle
Interestingly enough about the bragging thread....

Not one post on there had the words e-girls, seagulls, wet toast, slime, filth, or any other term of enderment they use to talk about our superior club......theymust have realised that there are other sides in the AFL....Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

No, but this thread proves you lot are still obsessed with bringing us back down to west coasts level!!:D

City of Fremantle - population approx 30,000
Town of East Fremantle - population approx 7,000

Other localities within Perth, likely to favour supporting Freo:

City of Melville - population approx 40,000
City of Cockburn - population approx 35,000
Town of Mosman Park - population approx 8,000
Town of Cottesloe - population approx 7,000

Total: 127,000

We have 34,000 members - that's 26.8% of the population in the areas most likely to follow Freo. Now of course I realise there are plenty others from outside Freo who follow the Dockers for one reason or another - I am merely talking about the immediate catchment areas from where it is most likely that people will follow Freo. Others merely have chosen vey wisely!!!.

Now if you subscribe to the theory that WCE are a club that represents the "rest" of WA... a club that encompasses all that is not Freo, the WEST COAST (bar that part between Cottesloe and Cockburn Sound), then WC have a population base of approx 1, 757,000 from which to draw their membership (that being the total population of WA of 1,884,000 minus Freo's 127,000).

Given that last year you had somewhere in the vicinity of 37,000 members - and given that you will probably have an increase (of say 3000) as it is likely that you will have a reasonably good year, we could say that your 2004 mebership will sit at around 40,000. Gee - you'll have 6,000 more than Freo, at 2.3% of your population base. Wow.

26.8% v 2.3%

That's why we are excited. 26.8% is a good return in anyone's language.

Stats from REIWA and Bureau of Statistics

Originally posted by ImperialPurple

Now if you subscribe to the theory that WCE are a club that represents the "rest" of WA... a club that encompasses all that is not Freo, the WEST COAST (bar that part between Cottesloe and Cockburn Sound),

Great post IP, but I will have to correct one large oversight. I and probably 300k others live nowhere near "The WEST COAST" and take offense to being included in their so-called catchment area.

BTW. We are in South Fremantle's zone.

City of Fremantle - population approx 30,000
Town of East Fremantle - population approx 7,000

Other localities within Perth, likely to favour supporting Freo:

City of Melville - population approx 40,000
City of Cockburn - population approx 35,000
Town of Mosman Park - population approx 8,000
Town of Cottesloe - population approx 7,000

Total: 127,000

We have 34,000 members - that's 26.8% of the population in the areas most likely to follow Freo. Now of course I realise there are plenty others from outside Freo who follow the Dockers for one reason or another - I am merely talking about the immediate catchment areas from where it is most likely that people will follow Freo. Others merely have chosen vey wisely!!!.

Now if you subscribe to the theory that WCE are a club that represents the "rest" of WA... a club that encompasses all that is not Freo, the WEST COAST (bar that part between Cottesloe and Cockburn Sound), then WC have a population base of approx 1, 757,000 from which to draw their membership (that being the total population of WA of 1,884,000 minus Freo's 127,000).

Given that last year you had somewhere in the vicinity of 37,000 members - and given that you will probably have an increase (of say 3000) as it is likely that you will have a reasonably good year, we could say that your 2004 mebership will sit at around 40,000. Gee - you'll have 6,000 more than Freo, at 2.3% of your population base. Wow.

26.8% v 2.3%

That's why we are excited. 26.8% is a good return in anyone's language.

Stats from REIWA and Bureau of Statistics

Methodologically bankrupt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by RIPPER_46
Great post IP, but I will have to correct one large oversight. I and probably 300k others live nowhere near "The WEST COAST" and take offense to being included in their so-called catchment area.

BTW. We are in South Fremantle's zone.

Fair comment Rip - I apologise for the oversight... I was just talking in generalisations anyway. Rejig the figures to 2.7%.

A bit selective when coming to a conclusion about where your supporters are "likely" to come from. Being close to Fremantle you could probably include the cities of Rockingham and Mandurah and lets not forget that far flung metropolis of Meekatharra. Pulling figures out of your rear end?

Lies, Lies and statistics.

Originally posted by West Coast Stre
A bit selective when coming to a conclusion about where your supporters are "likely" to come from. Being close to Fremantle you could probably include the cities of Rockingham and Mandurah and lets not forget that far flung metropolis of Meekatharra. Pulling figures out of your rear end?

Lies, Lies and statistics.

now who's being selective???? We have that gem thrown at us quite often... you just represent that one little town of Freo, we represent the rest of the state... the entire West Coast.

Just presenting it as it is. Fremantle is a place. You can point to it on a map. It has people who live there. West Coast is a line that stretches from the border with NT to the border with SA. A bloody long way. If Fremantle is Fremantle - a place where people live and where the people who live in it can actually say "I live in Freo and I support Freo", then why is it selective?

Saying that Freo / East Freo's population is approx 37,000 and we have 34,000 members at 92% would have been selective. I included the ones in the areas most likely to follow Freo given their geographical proximity to Freo the place.

And I qualified it with:
"Now of course I realise there are plenty others from outside Freo who follow the Dockers for one reason or another - I am merely talking about the immediate catchment areas from where it is most likely that people will follow Freo. Others merely have chosen vey wisely!!!."

Not meaning to be inflammatory Streaker... but this thread started with something along the lines of:
"All the Dockers fans are bragging about how many members they have..". Of course we are going to stick up for ourselves. Just presenting some facts and figures in response to that. Personally I reckon it's more excitement than bragging.

Like I said, 26.8% is a good return in anyone's language.

BTW - the only people I know personally in Mandurah are WC supporters, although of course I wouldn't think to assume this represents the entire population of Mandurah - just the ones I know. Rockingham?? - you are probably right....

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
You could actually inject a little more reality into those figures and divide Perth into North of the River/Country and South of the River...

Just because someone lives south of the river no way means that they will follow Fremantle....

Fremantle is Fremantle - it's a place. North of the river and south of the river exist... but are not the names of towns / cities / suburbs. Much like the west coast. Belmont for example, is south of the river - but its miles away from Freo and the residents of Belmont are completely unlikely to identify with Fremantle the place.

Yeah IP but being a boy from the wilds of Willeton solid East Freo Territory, along with Bull Creek, Riverton, Rossmoyne etc I think you stopped a bit to far west.

I think a more accurate measure, rather than the assumptions made by using local government boundaries, would be to look at the breakdown of members for each club via area.

Its been done before in th West a few times, clubs have provided the "top ten" or so suburbs where their supporters come from. My old suburb of Leeming, within the City of Melville, was always in the top ten burbs for West Coast Members.

Funnily enough back when Neesham was coaching, Claremont was in the top 2 or 3 suburbs from which Freo drew their members. Id like to see a more recent breakdown, would give a more true indication.

now who's being selective???? We have that gem thrown at us quite often... you just represent that one little town of Freo, we represent the rest of the state... the entire West Coast.

So you come along and perpetuate the argument by saying the majority of Dockers supporters came from this little area here which is close in proximity to Fremantle.

Just presenting it as it is. Fremantle is a place. You can point to it on a map. It has people who live there. West Coast is a line that stretches from the border with NT to the border with SA. A bloody long way.

Can you point to it on a map? Does it have people who live there? Yes to both questions. A bloody long way but still a place in its own right wouldn't you say?

If Fremantle is Fremantle - a place where people live and where the people who live in it can actually say "I live in Freo and I support Freo", then why is it selective?

It is selective in the fact that not all of the people in Fremantle would be Dockers supporters and saying that hey we have 34000 fans and there are only 37000 people in Freo so that must mean 92% of Fremantle people support the Dockers is as big a fallacy as saying That the people of the city of Melville and other Local Government authorities are more likely to be Dockers supporters due to proximity.

And I qualified it with:
"Now of course I realise there are plenty others from outside Freo who follow the Dockers for one reason or another - I am merely talking about the immediate catchment areas from where it is most likely that people will follow Freo. Others merely have chosen vey wisely!!!."

But it isn't most likely that people will follow the Dockers because they are in those supposed catchment areas. It is more likely wishful thinking on your behalf.

Not meaning to be inflammatory Streaker...

Really!!:eek:

but this thread started with something along the lines of:
"All the Dockers fans are bragging about how many members they have..". Of course we are going to stick up for ourselves. Just presenting some facts and figures in response to that.

Facts and figures that aren't relevant or necessarily accurate.

Like I said, 26.8% is a good return in anyone's language.

Another made up figure. :rolleyes:

BTW - the only people I know personally in Mandurah are WC supporters, although of course I wouldn't think to assume this represents the entire population of Mandurah - just the ones I know.

That would be because they live on the West Coast right? ;)

whatever.

you have basically agreed with most of what I have said, but tried to turn it into an argument.

if it makes you feel better, I agree with everything you have said, you are 100% correct on all your points, I was completely wrong, I don't know of anyone who go by the names of Milkman or dasler, I made it all up, I wasn't just illustrating a point.

there you go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership for this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back