Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

What 🤣🤣🤣

It doesn’t matter if he’s yet to make his afl debut, that’s got nothing to do with it.

Scott’s saying he needs time in the VFL - and he hasn’t even been an emergency.

You’re saying he’s applying selection pressure.

Only one can be true.

Only one can be true.
Yeh and he does need time and it was hard to break into a team that was playing well, but if keeps performing eventually he’ll force them to pick him. Especially with spots now up for grabs. You know… that’s what selection pressure is.

Only one can be true.
We are down plenty of personnel (Draper, Shiel, H.Jones, Setterfield, Z.Reid)

Yet we still have
Hind
Montgomerie
Baldwin
Massimo
Davey
Tsatas
Menzie
Weideman
Tippa

Applying pressure

Depth isnt our issue

Yeh and he does need time and it was hard to break into a team that was playing well, but if keeps performing eventually he’ll force them to pick him. Especially with spots now up for grabs. You know… that’s what selection pressure is.

What spots are up for grabs?

Well we’ve lost 4 of our last 5 now. The last two by a combined 118.

We’ll see what changes he makes next week
TBH

Id say we will give it one more week vs Sydney with our better side

But i think we will still see a change or two

The thing is most of our guys are young, so when finals isnt on the line you still want them playing.

Id say Kelly, Heppell, Phillips and Snelling are the only ones who could be considered out if we lose vs Sydney

I think Scott made a good point on some of the younger mids looking a bit tired. It’s been two experienced midfields doing us over last two weeks and that where we miss experience like Shiel and Setterfield …guys that have a few years of pre season behind them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the presser it sounds like there will be some sort of changes, couple of kids running out of gas that will either get a rest or their training loads will be managed during the week so they're a bit fresher for game day.

Also some older blokes carrying bad enough niggles that they aren't performing, so might also get rested.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's carrying something.
He was down on haunches (sp?) today but before that no excuse

His few weeks beforehand were a great sign imo

Just have to persist with him

His ability to show 19 disp vs cats in a flogging and 24 the week before in defensive roles has been a huge sign

Also love the mid time, was calling for it

I think Scott made a good point on some of the younger mids looking a bit tired. It’s been two experienced midfields doing us over last two weeks and that where we miss experience like Shiel and Setterfield …guys that have a few years of pre season behind them.
Not just physically but mentally too. Bit more experience might make them a bit more resilient.

Heppell/ kelly
Ridley - injury
Bryan/ Phillips
Snelling
Guelfi
Perkins
Hind (if you include the sub)

Eh, I just don’t see him suddenly deciding to make changes after 19 rounds.

Of the senior guys you listed, Heppell, Kelly, Phillips, Snelling and Guelfi haven’t been dropped so far, there’s nothing to suggest it will happen now.

I think that’s reasonable for sure, but also a slight copout.

He said the same thing about the Brisbane game - and someone pointed out Brisbane actually had a younger midfield

Eh, I just don’t see him suddenly deciding to make changes after 19 rounds.

Of the senior guys you listed, Heppell, Kelly, Phillips, Snelling and Guelfi haven’t been dropped so far, there’s nothing to suggest it will happen now.
Kelly and Phillips both have

Heppell as well from memory was sub

Snelling may have also played vfl (He has)

Kelly and Phillips both have

Heppell as well from memory was sub

Snelling may have also played vfl (He has)

Phillips was for one game, you’re right - then came back in.

Heppell definitely hasn’t played any VFL.

Snelling and Kelly came back from injury through VFL, I don’t think either were ever dropped..?

Unforced changes have been absolutely minimal

Phillips was for one game, you’re right - then came back in.

Heppell definitely hasn’t played any VFL.

Snelling and Kelly came back from injury through VFL, I don’t think either were ever dropped..?

Unforced changes have been absolutely minimal
If your playing VFL for consecutive weeks your basically not good enough for AFL level

All 4/5 you mentioned have played VFL

And Heppell has also not been incl in the 22 And on top of that subbed out

It’s now enough of a sample size that you notice things, and you can kinda overlay that with what we already knew.

1. We still have the most unfit list in the comp who cannot run out a season, so that’s not a problem he caused but it is his problem. It’s the classic Essendon late season fade.

2. He’s actually been a bit better with this than I anticipated but he’s pretty rigid with drumming in the way we want to go about things. The tempo back half game hasn’t been working for us of late but he’s going to stick to his guns and see if through. I’d like to think it’s because he can see the writing on the wall with a flagging, pretty young side playing a lot under the roof and not wanting to get sucked into a track meet.

3. His version of selection integrity is that he picked the 24 or so he wanted to roll with at the start of the year and if you’re not in it, unless there’s an injury you’re going to have to work hard as **** to earn your way in. As long as it’s communicated properly I suspect it’s fine but it will certainly frustrate supporters.

4. He’s no good at early intervention. The time to drop Weid was 6 weeks ago. The time to manage Heppell was 3 weeks ago while he was still going just ok. Hind should have been dropped 4 or 5 weeks before he eventually was because his defending was and continues to be terminally bad. We should have gone with Baldwin to partner Zerk much earlier so we learn more about both of them as a partnership. Off the basis of last night the time to manage Stringer was this week, not next week, now the media will rightfully pile on him because he had a stinker. Horse has already bolted by the time he gets there.

5. We’re getting exactly what we paid for, so no complaining. Appraisals have been honest, the floor has been lifted somewhat and he’s got us in the thick of it. As long as everyone knows what he is and what he’s not it should be a smooth ride.

Last edited:
If your playing VFL for consecutive weeks your basically not good enough for AFL level

All 4/5 you mentioned have played VFL

And Heppell has also not been incl in the 22 And on top of that subbed out

Then your argument is flawed. By that definition, all the players you listed aren’t good enough for AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back