Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew it was going to be an issue when we signed him, team selection was his biggest flaw at the Roos. But **** me he is doing a good job of torching games at selection. Stubborn as ever, will it take an embarrassing loss again Sunday to finally give up his faith in a few players than needed a proper reality check playing vfl weeks ago.

to be fair - his hand was forced by the tragic injury to Kelly. We literally have no other fit backmen to bring in
There's always an option. Menzies looked ok there and hasn't been tried again since. Roberts went ok there start of the season. You could bring in Hayes and play Laverde in the busted arse Heppell role. You could even debut Luol at least that'd be having a go.

There's always an option. Menzies looked ok there and hasn't been tried again since. Roberts went ok there start of the season. You could bring in Hayes and play Laverde in the busted arse Heppell role. You could even debut Luol at least that'd be having a go.
mate…

Thought Hepp was really good injury cover for Ridley to start the year. Was really productive as a medium interceptor when he had actual pressure in front of him.

Probably should have gone out of the team when Ridley came back but he’s been a ne
to be fair - his hand was forced by the tragic injury to Kelly. We literally have no other fit backmen to bring in

We have Caldwell and could bring in Setters or Hobbs if you wanted to go smaller

Or go bigger and bring in Hayes and shift Ridley to that unaccountable role

just admit your wrong jmoo wan

tell him Yoda_

Thought Hepp was really good injury cover for Ridley to start the year. Was really productive as a medium interceptor when he had actual pressure in front of him.

Probably should have gone out of the team when Ridley came back but he’s been a ne

We have Caldwell and could bring in Setters or Hobbs if you wanted to go smaller

Or go bigger and bring in Hayes and shift Ridley to that unaccountable role
I thought the entire team had unaccountable roles 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this is jmoo comedy gold & therefore the rest of you are old men yelling at clouds… Does not “the tragic injury to Kelly” give it away?
jim carrey disbelief GIF

i mean, if I got told I was being dropped and Kelly was staying in the team I'd probably k*ill myself so kudos to Heppell for taking it better than I would

What's this stat mean?
What's this stat mean?
Puts every shot at goal into a big computer and spits out an expected score based on position, pressure, difficulty ect. Set shot from the goalsquare would probably be a 5.9 points, Rachelle’s game winner would probably be with 0.7 or something like that.

The caveat is that I still think we are playing like crap, but we are creating enough good looks to be neck deep in most, if not all games. That, to me at least puts a little bit of a kibosh on the notion that the list is crap and Scott doesn’t have a few toys to play with.

In addition, expected score follows on from expected goals that have become established in soccer and ice hockey over the last few years. the afl xscore on twitter has an explainer (https://theafllab.wordpress.com/2021/03/24/introducing-aflxscore/). it's not a perfect model and makes no claim to be. it's just another tool that you can use to analyse the game if you want. it's main value, really, is that it's a good way to keep yourself grounded. if you spend a season racking up wins despite xscore loses, and then in the off-season you go off and spend big thinking that you're now at this point and are about win flags because you won all those games, you might end up making a mistake that could have been avoided.

and so this season essendon is a pretty good example. earlier this season we went on a run when we were winning games despite xscore loses (vs Hawks, vs Dogs, vs Saints and our first game against the Eagles are examples). So obviously for some people that would be concerning, particularly considering that for most of the season, 3 of those teams have been firmly in the established bottom 6 teams. and for other people, they thought those wins (some of them being hard fought close wins!) meant we had turned a corner

with that said, losing a game that the xscore has us winning shouldn't be blinded accepted either. for example with the Carlton and Gold Coast games, it was clear that we had blown chances leading into the final quarter which could have us equal or even leading, but we were still firmly in the game, only to allow a bunch of goals within a few minutes to all but lose the game in both cases. that arguably makes those loses even more frustrating

the afl xscore twitter loads a map at the end of the game. the afl champion data model, which tends to be what the media uses because they are given access to it, does not publish a map. there are differences in the models.

Last edited:
i mean, if I got told I was being dropped and Kelly was staying in the team I'd probably k*ill myself so kudos to Heppell for taking it better than I would

In addition, expected score follows on from expected goals that have become established in soccer and ice hockey over the last few years. the afl xscore on twitter has an explainer (https://theafllab.wordpress.com/2021/03/24/introducing-aflxscore/). it's not a perfect model and makes no claim to be. it's just another tool that you can use to analyse the game if you want. it's main value, really, is that it's a good way to keep yourself grounded. if you spend a season racking up wins despite xscore loses, and then in the off-season you go off and spend big thinking that you're now at this point and are about win flags because you won all those games, you might end up making a mistake that could have been avoided.

and so this season essendon is a pretty good example. earlier this season we went on a run when we were winning games despite xscore loses (vs Hawks, vs Dogs, vs Saints and our first game against the Eagles are examples). So obviously for some people that would be concerning, particularly considering that for most of the season, 3 of those teams have been firmly in the established bottom 6 teams. and for other people, they thought those wins (some of them being hard fought close wins!) meant we had turned a corner

with that said, losing a game that the xscore has us winning shouldn't be blinded accepted either. for example with the Carlton and Gold Coast games, it was clear that we had blown chances leading into the final quarter which could have us equal or even leading, but we were still firmly in the game, only to allow a bunch of goals within a few minutes to all but lose the game in both cases. that arguably makes those loses even more frustrating

the afl xscore twitter loads a map at the end of the game. the afl champion data model, which tends to be what the media uses because they are given access to it, does not publish a map. there are differences in the models. for example the Demons game

yeah its a junk stat that predicts wins when we lose and vice versa.

the afl xscore twitter loads a map at the end of the game. the afl champion data model, which tends to be what the media uses because they are given access to it, does not publish a map. there are differences in the models.

Definition of expected score - worth reading the full explanation as it’s quite insightful.

Expected accuracy is a way of measuring the likelihood of a player scoring a goal.

By using expected scores we can determine how accurate teams and players are (expected conversion rates compared to real conversion rates, and expected score from shots taken vs. a team's actual score).

It's a metric for fans, commentators and even coaches, to put a quasi technical version of, “yeah, but we were the better team” or “we didn’t deserve to lose”.
But you did.
Suck it up.

Most recently, Brad Scott (after the loss to Adelaide) may have sounded mildly more credible if referred to the expected score mumbo jumbo rather than making up defensive BS like calling a journo a “resultist”.

Last edited:
If we're in this position at this time next year, or worse, the talk around Brad will be interesting. There's nothing to indicate we'll be any better.
Hasn't been able to instill a work ethic, that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back