Merged DTM Mock Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Top 10 Pick Mock With Explanation

Adelaide have 4 yound key forwards.

I'd expect us to pick up 1 later in the draft but unless Watts is there we'll go for a mid.

Skilled kicker is what I want so Sidebottom is on the top of my list.

So true. I am still laughing at how we where able to get Palmer at pick 7 :)

You did well, for sure. If I were re selecting that draft, I would still have him about 4th behind Kruezer, Cotchin and Rioli. He would be a step ahead of Morton at this stage. The big question with him remains how much he will improve. Will he improve his decision making? Others, like Rioli and Cotchin are already pretty much there in that department, even though they haven't got the pill as much as him.

Adelaide have 4 yound key forwards.

I'd expect us to pick up 1 later in the draft but unless Watts is there we'll go for a mid.

Skilled kicker is what I want so Sidebottom is on the top of my list.

I'm assuming you're refering to Walker, Sellar, Tippett & Hentschel.

Tippett may or may not end up at the GC.
Hentschel will be 26 on Boxing Day, definitely not in the young category anymore, he's missed 2 years of action and may or may not ever make it back to the AFL level.
Sellar was last sighted in the Glenelg reserves. He may or may not make it as an AFL player, I'm certainly not writing him off yet - but it's not looking good so far.
Walker was a superstar for Norwood this year but has yet to make his AFL debut.

I'd say Adelaide would be crazy NOT to pick up Johnstone if they feel he is the best available player at that selection.

That said, I wouldn't complain if they went with a highly skilled and pacey midfielder either.

I could certainly see Adelaide taking Blease at their first selection. He seems to fit their criteria, and his selection would not be dissimilar to that of Dangerfield with #10 last year.

Pick 1: Melbourne: Jack Watts: Good young forward exactly what Melb needs.

Pick 2: West Coast: Nicholas Natanui: West Coast need someone to help out Dean Cox, definetely not satisified with Seaby(Plays better up forward anyway)

Pick 3: Fremantle: Daniel Rich: The next best available. Watched him play in the championships, the kid will be a gun, already made for senior football. Another gun into the midfield to help Rhys Palmer.

Pick 4: Port Adelaide: Hamish Hartlett: Looking around the forum, many are beginning to say that Vickery will go at #4. Having a look at Port.Adelaide's list, they do not need another ruckman. They have Brogan and Lade as there number one ruckman and then the youngsters in DeLuca and Lobbe. No need for a ruckman here. They will go for the next best midfielder and that is Hartlett.

Pick 5: Essendon: Michael Hurley: With Mal Michael retiring, Fletcher at 32 years of age and Patty Ryer beginning to play more up forward, Essendon need a key backman and here is their man. He is a big boy for his age and will slip in nicely down at bomber land at FB/CHB.

Pick 6: Carlton: Jack Ziebell: Although their Midfield is pack full of superstars, they are going to have to go for the next best available and it will be Ziebell.

Pick 7: Brisbane Lions: Tyrone Vickery: Pencil this one in. I believe Brisbane need a ruckmen the most out of any club. They have Leuenberger, Charman and Beau McDonald(not sure where he has been all year) then it has been Mitch Clark who has had to bob up and do some ruckwork. A ruckman is definetely what they need now that Jonathan Brown is staying at the Lions.

Pick 8: Richmond: Shaun McKernan: Can play as a tall forward/tall defender and also fill in the ruck roles. This will be a tough choice for Richmond as they seem fairly balanced around the ground. I think they will go for the next best available who has a body to jump straight into senior footy.

Pick 9: Collingwood: Steele Sidebottom: Next best midfielder who goes in and under. Will need to replace the ageing Burns and O'Bree.

Pick 10: North Melbourne: Mitch Robinson: After drafting youngster Robbie Tarrant last year and a very big forward line with the likes of Edwards, Thompson, Tarrant and Hale they wont go for a tall or KPP. This kid can jump straight into the Roos' on-ball department.

Pick 11: Sydney: Nick Suban: Do need a ruckman but i think they will leave that for their next pick which i think will be Roughead. Suban is the next best midfielder who will replace the swans ageing midfielders in Bolton, Crouch, Fosdike, Kirk and Matthews.

Pick 12: Adelaide: Lewis Johnstone: Many say he should have gone before pick 12 but because of different needs from other clubs he will fall to number 12. Adelaide need key forwards and key backman and Johnstone showed at the championships that he can fill these roles.

Pick 13: St.Kilda: Sam Blease: Need a classy midfielder to replace the retirement of Harvey. The kid can run and carry and break the lines. Exactly what the saints need.

Pick 14: Western Bulldogs: Ayce Cordy: Would rather no one make a bid for Cordy but the likes of Sydney and St.Kilda probably will, so the dogs will have to take Cordy here to help out Minson and Hudson.

Pick 15: Hawthorn: Christopher Yarran: The Hawks have a super forward line and too many young tall backman to grab another KPP here. They will go for the next best midfielder who can go forward and kick goals like Rioli.

Pick 16: Geelong: Jackson Trengrove: Will take the next best KPP i think. There midfield is too brilliant to add anymore midfielders so Trengrove will go at #16.

PRIORITY PICKS:

Pick 17: Melbourne: Thomas Swift: I think he is the next best midfielder and Melbourne need in and under midfielders who can break the lines.

Pick 18: West Coast: Matthew DeBoer: After taking Natanui at pick 2 they will now need to upgrade their midfield especially if Kerr is on his way out.

Pick 7: Brisbane Lions: Tyrone Vickery: Pencil this one in. I believe Brisbane need a ruckmen the most out of any club. They have Leuenberger, Charman and Beau McDonald(not sure where he has been all year) then it has been Mitch Clark who has had to bob up and do some ruckwork. A ruckman is definetely what they need now that Jonathan Brown is staying at the Lions.

(a) I still think we'd go a midfielder.
(b) This is a pretty good example of why some of these leave a bit to be desired... if you're making picks for teams, you should at least know that a member of their team has been retired for the whole year.

well there you go, the more reason to draft Vickery

Charman and Leuenberger should be #1 and #2 ruckman for the next 5 years. No reason to draft a ruckman with our first pick when we are so awful with regards to midfield skills/clearances.

I believe Beau McDonald retired earlier in the year. His body was shot.

3. Ziebell at 9 :thumbsdown: way better than yarran, robinson, and vickery

This. You would think Brisbane would want a bigger bodied player than Yarran, Ziebell or Sidebottom offer that, not to mention will be proven midfielders [moreso than Yarran, but we could debate that. I think Yarran as more of a flanker, Brisbane will need engine room players in a couple of seasons].

Not a bad Top 18, if you knew what you were talking about.

Firstly. Charmo and Leuenberger are - and will, the top tier ruckmen at the Lions. Secondly, Tippett and Clark third and fourth string back-ups, and are quite capable at rucking.

Seeing as the Lions have taken tall timber with every first round pick back to 2003, with a new a coach, I think that trend will break. Putting 7 on a ruck in this draft will just screw the Lions over. A lot of the senior onballers are aging, and the group coming through is made up of late-round draftees, a few have a future but some are still unproven. Brisbane need a proven midfielder, first and second round.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blease or Ziebell become a Lion in '09.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

played with hurls in 07 at the knights. any team that passes him up after the top 3 players will rue that decision for a long time. the kid is a superstar and while he's played state level as a key defender he could easily become a domainant CHF. never seen a bottom ager (in 07) crash packs like this kid (who had never picked up a weight at that time) did. will be a beast with afl conditioning. not only will he be a good player he will be a good clubmen, has the best attitiude a club could hope for of their draftee. im just spewing the pies dont have the number 4 pick. :thumbsu:

So your 17, or 18 at best.

Sure, your mate looks good, but dont let sentiment get in the way. :thumbsu:

Pick 18: West Coast: Matthew DeBoer: After taking Natanui at pick 2 they will now need to upgrade their midfield especially if Kerr is on his way out.
Sorry buddy but heck no! Not a chance. Matt DeBoer whilst full of heart it seems is just not what the Eagles need. He probably wont even be the best available mid at 18-20 either. If they last that long expect us to take one of Blease, Hill, Swift. We need clean disposal and pace(line breaking).

I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch Brown from the dragons goes quite high. I have seen him twice and he is all class. Great hands and 1 grab player on the ground. He is a very smart footballer in the mould of a James Hird.

I hope we get him with our first pick.

Ok then, if the Lions dont need a ruckman, then how about this:

Pick 1: Melbourne: Jack Watts: Good young forward exactly what Melb needs.

Pick 2: West Coast: Nicholas Natanui: West Coast need someone to help out Dean Cox, definetely not satisified with Seaby(Plays better up forward anyway).

Pick 3: Fremantle: Daniel Rich: The next best available. Watched him play in the championships, the kid will be a gun, already made for senior football. Another gun into the midfield to help Rhys Palmer.

Pick 4: Port Adelaide: Hamish Hartlett: Looking around the forum, many are beginning to say that Vickery will go at #4. Having a look at Port.Adelaide's list, they do not need another ruckman. They have Brogan and Lade as there number one ruckman and then the youngsters in DeLuca and Lobbe. No need for a ruckman here. They will go for the next best midfielder and that is Hartlett.

Pick 5: Essendon: Michael Hurley: With Mal Michael retiring, Fletcher at 32 years of age and Patty Ryer beginning to play more up forward, Essendon need a key backman and here is their man. He is a big boy for his age and will slip in nicely down at bomber land at FB/CHB.

Pick 6: Carlton: Jack Ziebell: Although their Midfield is pack full of superstars, they are going to have to go for the next best available and it will be Ziebell.

Pick 7: Brisbane Lions: Nick Suban: Suban, a classy midfielder who is the next best in the draft, who will replace Lappin.

Pick 8: Richmond: Shaun McKernan: Can play as a tall forward/tall defender and also fill in the ruck roles. This will be a tough choice for Richmond as they seem fairly balanced around the ground. I think they will go for the next best available who has a body to jump straight into senior footy.

Pick 9: Collingwood: Steele Sidebottom: Next best midfielder who goes in and under. Will need to replace the ageing Burns and O'Bree.

Pick 10: North Melbourne: Mitch Robinson: After drafting youngster Robbie Tarrant last year and a very big forward line with the likes of Edwards, Thompson, Tarrant and Hale they wont go for a tall or KPP. This kid can jump straight into the Roos' on-ball department.

Pick 11: Sydney: Tyrone Vickery: Do need a ruckman considering Everitt is pretty much finished, will need to jump straight in and help out Jolly. Can also go forward and kick a goal. Sydney would very happy to see Vickery slip to number 11.

Pick 12: Adelaide: Lewis Johnstone: Many say he should have gone before pick 12 but because of different needs from other clubs he will fall to number 12. Adelaide need key forwards and key backman and Johnstone showed at the championships that he can fill these roles.

Pick 13: St.Kilda: Sam Blease: Need a classy midfielder to replace the retirement of Harvey. The kid can run and carry and break the lines. Exactly what the saints need.

Pick 14: Western Bulldogs: Ayce Cordy: Would rather no one make a bid for Cordy but the likes of Sydney and St.Kilda probably will, so the dogs will have to take Cordy here to help out Minson and Hudson.

Pick 15: Hawthorn: Christopher Yarran: The Hawks have a super forward line and too many young tall backman to grab another KPP here. They will go for the next best midfielder who can go forward and kick goals like Rioli.

Pick 16: Geelong: Jackson Trengrove: Will take the next best KPP i think. There midfield is too brilliant to add anymore midfielders so Trengrove will go at #16.

PRIORITY PICKS:

Pick 17: Melbourne: Thomas Swift: I think he is the next best midfielder and Melbourne need in and under midfielders who can break the lines.

user_online.gif
progress.gif

For crying out loud... North have pick #9, Adelaide have pick #10.

If you're going to publish a mock draft, can you at least use the latest possible draft order?

It's not just you smilingassassin6, so don't take it personally. It's a widespread problem on this board.

Before Vickery did his knee last year he was viewed as one of the best and most talented juniors that would come through in this draft and he showed that in the final against Western Australia.

I have no doubt that he is good enough to go top 5 although i hope Port pass and Richmond can snap him up at 8.

Vickery shows how good he is every week he plays for Sandy.

Anyone saying he is not top 5 hasn't watch him more than 3 times.

For crying out loud... North have pick #9, Adelaide have pick #10.

If you're going to publish a mock draft, can you at least use the latest possible draft order?

It's not just you smilingassassin6, so don't take it personally. It's a widespread problem on this board.

What I said Darth

help rhys palmer.

Pick 4: port adelaide: Hamish hartlett: Looking around the forum, many are beginning to say that vickery will go at #4. Having a look at port.adelaide's list, they do not need another ruckman. They have brogan and lade as there number one ruckman and then the youngsters in deluca and lobbe. No need for a ruckman here. They will go for the next best midfielder and that is hartlett.

no..

you do realise North have pick 9 and Adelaide have pick 10

Maybe do the first round and PP list for these people to copy and paste.

Further more if you would like to, express your anger and do the order of picks in a new thread so you can vent your frustration whilst still acting helpful.

So your 17, or 18 at best.

Sure, your mate looks good, but dont let sentiment get in the way. :thumbsu:

19 am a year older. sentiment is not in the way was mates with zaharakis and stanton too, however unfortuanatly i cant see them making as big an impact at afl level, good players but would have to make sure they have their heads in the right place going into an afl club, particularly the latter. so its not sentiment its just what iv seen. its easy foe evryone to see hurley is a gun, but i was just stating the parts others may not. tries his guts out and is a smart young man who is very club orientated.even when he was in the u16s and i didnt know him it was a as clear as day that this kid will be good. will be a rock in defence (or a chf) for 10 years at afl level all while having a humble nature :thumbsu:

Pick 7: Brisbane Lions: Nick Suban: Suban, a classy midfielder who is the next best in the draft, who will replace Lappin.

Pick 11: Sydney: Tyrone Vickery: Do need a ruckman considering Everitt is pretty much finished, will need to jump straight in and help out Jolly. Can also go forward and kick a goal. Sydney would very happy to see Vickery slip to number 11.

Alright. Two things.

1) Although I don't rate Vickery in high regards, he's still top 10.

2) You just swapped him and Suban around from your original 18. This causes a problem when in your 1st mock 18, you claimed steele sidebottom was the next best mid and then in your 2nd mock, you put suban ahead of him. Dude, if you're gunna make the effort...do it right.

Other than those 2 things, it looks pretty good. Having said that, I doubt you actually know what you're doing. I think you just posted a summary of opinions on what has been said (most of which my opinions are evident in your draft :)). Don't be afraid to have your own opinions buddy ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged DTM Mock Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back