List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Done it already. See post #537 18Oct20 on p22 of this thread.
No equivocating. No flip flopping. I've been saying the same things for about 2 wks ie Brisbane should do it the easy way, make an offer that gets band 1 either by converting incentive $ to base $, or offering a shorter term at a higher rate with later yrs at a lower rate with easy triggers. If not, Essendon should match and risk the consequences. I'm very sure there's been no flopping about.
Thanks for referring me back 400 posts when I am pretty sure you've moved your position more times than the karma sutra.

In your post you actually agree that our offer is fair so I am really confused why you believe we should increase to make you happy. Free agency compensation is never meant to fully compensate the losing club.

That you believe Daniher is worth a band 1 contract shows the ridiculousness of your position. If he'd played a full season and kicked 35 goals then we'd all agree with you. The fact is he has played 15 games in 3 seasons and has wanted to escape your culturally sh*te club for 2 years.

Essendon have no leverage in this case.

Would agree that there's little doubt the AFL have found a way to give the Bombers a band 1 comp pick and our offer has remained the same. This is the best possible outcome for both teams. Thank you corrupt AFL. The teams who have picks after pick 7 will be the ones with the most to whinge about.

Given the noise coming out of the club I don't think we've upped our offer.

This noise sounds like it's coming out of the AFL to prime the bed for the first round pick as a pity fu** for a screwed club.
AFL wants big Vic Clubs going for finals.
So of course they help.

Done it already. See post #537 18Oct20 on p22 of this thread.
No equivocating. No flip flopping. I've been saying the same things for about 2 wks ie Brisbane should do it the easy way, make an offer that gets band 1 either by converting incentive $ to base $, or offering a shorter term at a higher rate with later yrs at a lower rate with easy triggers. If not, Essendon should match and risk the consequences. I'm very sure there's been no flopping about.

This is your brain.
egg.jpg

This is your brain on Dodoro.
egg2.gif

Not even once.

Thought our offer was around the 600k, reports now suggesting it is around the 700k. Did we actually up our offer?

The obvious answer is no one actually knew.

Would agree that there's little doubt the AFL have found a way to give the Bombers a band 1 comp pick and our offer has remained the same. This is the best possible outcome for both teams. Thank you corrupt AFL. The teams who have picks after pick 7 will be the ones with the most to whinge about.

It’s just seems like a few things have fallen right for Essendon to be given a generous compensation, which will also benefit us.

Covid and its effect on players salary, makes it easy to apply the secret herbs and spices. Also the other poor preformed teams all hold decent draft hands, with selections prior to the compensation pick. Adelaide/North having multiple top 10s, Sydney and Hawks with a some highly rated academy prospects also helps.

The biggest stumbling block I thought may have been Brad Crouch and potentially Adelaide looking at pick 2. The AFL seem to be really reluctant to give those real premium picks. I believe if we finished slight higher in 2017, say above North/Suns/Carlton we would have been handed Band 1 Compensation for Rockliff.

They really seem to stomp out any type of colluding to generate that outcome too. We’ve already seen the push back from the talk of the Dunstan salary dump to increase Crouch’s wage. As usual Noble played the situation perfect, by not getting wrapped up in any media about upping our offer to generate that outcome.

AFL are clever like a fox... All the players took a pay cut this year... The 600k-700k is definitely top 5% if you take into account cuts haha. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how they justified it internally.

Either way it’s a win/win for Essendon and Brisbane and a bit of a loss for anyone with a pick after Essendon... About time we get the right end of one of these deals....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really seem to stomp out any type of colluding to generate that outcome too. We’ve already seen the push back from the talk of the Dunstan salary dump to increase Crouch’s wage. As usual Noble played the situation perfect, by not getting wrapped up in any media about upping our offer to generate that outcome.

You mean to say that Noble took no notice of that Essendon poster that's been doing all the urging on this Board for him to game the system?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Last trade of trade period... Marcus Adams and his salary to Essendon for a late fourth rounder. ;)

Bombers need some KPP depth down back.
You would think with upgrades to some Lions players this year or next, and Harris signing a big deal and with Daniher that there could be some squeeze on salary space and some posters have mentioned Adams on around $400 +K per year with still two years to go, so could see it is possible.

Thanks for referring me back 400 posts when I am pretty sure you've moved your position more times than the karma sutra.

In your post you actually agree that our offer is fair so I am really confused why you believe we should increase to make you happy. Free agency compensation is never meant to fully compensate the losing club.

That you believe Daniher is worth a band 1 contract shows the ridiculousness of your position. If he'd played a full season and kicked 35 goals then we'd all agree with you. The fact is he has played 15 games in 3 seasons and has wanted to escape your culturally sh*te club for 2 years.

Essendon have no leverage in this case.

I'm bending over backwards here to be nice when you're not even trying to comprehend what I'm saying.
I summarised it for you anyway in a few short lines.
There's been lots of accusations of changing my position, but no actual details. I've been very consistent.
Just one more time....
I think Brisbane's initial offer to Daniher was fair. But if they expected that they would get him as a RFA at that salary, without having to trade, and that Essendon would settle for band 2 compo, that is neither fair, nor, more importantly, smart.
Free agency compensation is a terrible system, terrible formula, terrible outcomes, and has a terrible effect on how trading works.
But Brisbane are just trying to play within the rules to get the best result. And so is Dodoro.
And working within the existing rules, it's very obvious how the best result can be achieved.
Brisbane would be mad to risk not getting Daniher at all when it need not cost them anything to get him at the same time as making Essendon happy to let him go. (I've been through the details ad nauseam - look back on previous posts if you want to see details). They can change their offer to meet band 1 compo easily.
I don't advocate doing it to "make me happy", or even to help Essendon.
It's a good idea for Brisbane, because it gets them Daniher for free, at pretty much the salary cost they offered him, just with more base and less incentive.
If they don't do it, Essendon would likely match, and cause one of 2 things to happen
1. Brisbane get Daniher via trade (much worse for Brisbane), or
2. Daniher would go to the draft and Brisbane would likely miss out on him altogether.

And, by any measure of gut feel, of any smart, reasonable judge of football, Daniher is worth band 1 compensation (even if the AFL formula says otherwise).
If you think he is crippled by injury and hasn't recovered, fair enough, he isn't. But then, if you think that, you wouldn't be recruiting him.

PS I have thought of one new possibility i hadn't allowed for before. I said Dodoro would never accept band 2 compo and would certainly match. However, it is possible that he promised Daniher last year, when we blocked his move to Sydney, that if he came back and gave it another shot, we would not attempt to block his move as a RFA if he still felt the same way and wanted to go in 12 mths.
Of course this would make Dodoro a man of principle, keeping his word to Daniher, and "Noble by name, Noble by nature" a grubby opportunist, and I rather suspect it wouldn't get much credence on your board.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back