Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't let Carlton supporters into the MCG anymore I don't think, it's not safe for officials and supporters.

As an aside, Carlton had crowds of under 30k seven times in 2018. No Victorian team gets consistently good crowds when they're shit.

If the AFL want to maximise crowds, Melbourne should be forced to relocate to Marvel, and get Essendon and Carlton playing more at the G.

I can’t think of an argument against it other than Melbourne must play at MCG cos Melbourne.

Also AFL probably don’t want Marvel being seen as a 2nd tier stadium for lower drawing vic sides (which it is, simply by its capacity).

Anyway, as a pragmatic decision Melbourne should be made to play the majority of their home games at Marvel is my view. Discuss.
Melbourne are a section of the MCC.

Melbourne has more MCC members than any other club.

But I get why you're pissed off you (Carlton) play so many games at that hole. Bad luck.

If the AFL want to maximise crowds, Melbourne should be forced to relocate to Marvel, and get Essendon and Carlton playing more at the G.

I can’t think of an argument against it other than Melbourne must play at MCG cos Melbourne.

Also AFL probably don’t want Marvel being seen as a 2nd tier stadium for lower drawing vic sides (which it is, simply by its capacity).

Anyway, as a pragmatic decision Melbourne should be made to play the majority of their home games at Marvel is my view. Discuss.
If the AFL want to maximise crowds, Melbourne should be forced to relocate to Buller.

I remember hearing that North were getting NT as one of their recruitment zones. That makes sense.
North and the AFL met about 2 weeks ago..so it will be interesting to hear what happens further down the track...

But I get why you're pissed off you (Carlton) play so many games at that hole. Bad luck.
This x 1000.

There's more chance of Collingwood relocating to the Gold Coast than Melbourne moving from the MCG. End thread.

Doesn’t explain why Melbourne crowds are lower than every side who plays at the mcg.

The Melbourne/MCC thing has always come off as a convenient excuse to me.

Excuse for lower membership, not sure how it can be an excuse for lower attendances.

Can't let Carlton supporters into the MCG anymore I don't think, it's not safe for officials and supporters.

As an aside, Carlton had crowds of under 30k seven times in 2018. No Victorian team gets consistently good crowds when they're shit.

We won 2 games that season.

Melbourne are only 3 years removed from a flag, one year from top 4 and still weren’t far from the top 8 this year and get comparable crowds if not worse crowds than us in 2018.

The nine Melbourne clubs should have home games scheduled on a crowd/need basis, that was the whole point of ground rationalisation. Won't happen due to a wide variety of historical and monetary reasons.
This means that smaller interstate clubs would never play at the MCG during home and away.

How does Melbourne playing out of Marvel maximize crowds? Why would more people go their games there?

It’s more that Essendon and Carlton will get more people going to the MCG than Melbourne would if given the same amount of home games.

Actually I’d back any Vic side to get more people at the MCG as a home tenant than Melbourne except maybe North.

Carlton and Essendon splitting their games between the MCG and Docklands is actually more ideal than some realise. Why would you want to host expansion teams and teams with small Victorian based fan bases (eg; Freo, Port) at the MCG with more seagulls than away fans? The atmosphere when Collingwood and Richmond host these teams at the MCG is terrible. It's a better atmosphere at Docklands with a crowd of 30,000 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s an ugly spectacle seeing them regularly play in a massive stadium infront of nobody.

Without the MCC they would be lucky to get 10k supporters to a game, and it will be even worse in 2025 once everyone jumps off the sinking ship.

I propose moving them permanently to a suburban ground e.g. Casey.

If you allow Range Rovers to park along the boundary that might encourage a few more to turn up.

This x 1000.

There's more chance of Collingwood relocating to the Gold Coast than Melbourne moving from the MCG. End thread.
They should move though. Times change.

Small club with small crowds, plays at smaller stadium.

If it's good for Dogs/North, it's good for Dees.

If we are using the logic that smaller clubs don't play at the G; perhaps North, the Dogs and Saints should all get more away games at the MCG. Carlton and Essendon don't play as many at Docklands as these teams, so how is that a home game for the Blues and Bombers?

North/Dogs/Saints home games should be at Docklands. An Carlton or Essendon home game against them should be at the G. Richmond and Collingwood should not be hosting these smaller clubs at Docklands either.

The fact that you have to use 30k as the measurement for a poor Carlton crowd says it all really. For the record, Melbourne's all-time attendance average for home games at the MCG is 29k, Carlton's is 58K.

This thread is irrelevant because it absolutely will not and should never happen.

Melbourne's all-time attendance average for home games at the MCG is 29k, Carlton's is 58K.
All-time attendance average is a strange stat to use, we were terrible for a long time, and did not have the same benefit as Carlton of favourable fixturing when we were shithouse, whereas Carlton were still receiving prime-time slots while winning spoons.

All-time attendance average is a strange stat to use, we were terrible for a long time, and did not have the same benefit as Carlton of favourable fixturing when we were shithouse, whereas Carlton were still receiving prime-time slots while winning spoons.

Okay, I'll try and do as fair a comparison as I possibly can. Lets look at attendances the last time both teams were good. Carlton averaged a crowd of 65k when hosting games at the MCG, Melbourne 49k. Demons and Carlton played each other twice, the game Melbourne hosted had 49872 people there, while the game Carlton hosted had a crowd of 68577. Both pretty much exactly aligned with their respective averages. Melbourne home game was a Friday night, Carlton home game was a Saturday night.

Now lets look at 2019, the last time both teams were crap. Carlton home games at the MCG, average crowd of 60k. Decently big difference between when we're good and when we're bad, but nothing too crazy. Now lets look at Melbourne: average crowd for home games at the G was 33k.

I was genuinely shocked at how low that was. Carlton and Melbourne only played each other once that season, in front of a Carlton home crowd of 55593. For reference, this was higher than any game Melbourne hosted that entire season!

I can't say if this makes Melbourne fans uniquely fairweather, but it sure explains why Carlton still gets good fixtures when we aren't so good, its because our fans will still turn up.

But anyway, like I said, Melbourne will keep getting most of their home games at the G, and rightfully so. No matter how few of your fans turn up.

Okay, I'll try and do as fair a comparison as I possibly can. Lets look at attendances the last time both teams were good. Carlton averaged a crowd of 65k when hosting games at the MCG, Melbourne 49k. Demons and Carlton played each other twice, the game Melbourne hosted had 49872 people there, while the game Carlton hosted had a crowd of 68577. Both pretty much exactly aligned with their respective averages. Melbourne home game was a Friday night, Carlton home game was a Saturday night.

Now lets look at 2019, the last time both teams were crap. Carlton home games at the MCG, average crowd of 60k. Decently big difference between when we're good and when we're bad, but nothing too crazy. Now lets look at Melbourne: average crowd for home games at the G was 33k.

I was genuinely shocked at how low that was. Carlton and Melbourne only played each other once that season, in front of a Carlton home crowd of 55593. For reference, this was higher than any game Melbourne hosted that entire season!

I can't say if this makes Melbourne fans uniquely fairweather, but it sure explains why Carlton still gets good fixtures when we aren't so good, its because our fans will still turn up.
tldr

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back