Autopsy Saints v Cats - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Sat August 17th 7:30pm - (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Many Cats supporters were nervous headed into this one. Outside of one poor showing at home against Brisbane, St Kilda have been back to their 2023 form since about round 12 and are hard to beat at Marvel.

The rest is all noise and in reality your points address two angry posters. You haven't seen 30 jump in. The writing was on the wall about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Demoralising is an overstatement. The loss tonight was buffered by a crucial win on the road in Perth last week, and Brisbane choking earlier in the day. Don't act like you wouldn't dream of the opportunity for St Kilda to finish in the top 4 again, no matter how unlikely a flag still seems from there. St Kilda always treat these games against Geelong as grand finals but your season was done and dusted a while ago.
Garbage! There is a certain pleasure in defeating Geelong because people like you and Biggy. And, where is that campaigner Gavin?

Saints in the second half of this season are as promising as I’ve seen from them since pre-rebuild. I rate them now in terms of purpose, development and coaching execution more than I did in 2020 or 2023, this group under Lyon is really going somewhere, their off-season will be fascinating in what trades they make and what Lyon cooks up for a decent crack at 2025. The Henry & King pcls might hamper their preseason but there is a lot to like about these Saints if they can sell a dream and slot in some savvy inclusions.

Last edited:
Mighty impressive turnaround by the Saints in h2. Rarely see anything like that. The 2 Wils Wilkey and Wilson were quite noticable, as were the onballers who consistently got it sharply out of the middle. They had a lot of adventure moving the ball laterally as well. And the tackles and pressure. Brilliant performance.

The schizoid nature of this game reflects the season where most, if not all, teams have shown off their jeckyl hyde natures. So I wouldn't be writing off Cats just yet, as the other top 8 teams are also week to week propositions. In fact, such a loss could be a blessing if it forces a further couple of % improvement in the coming weeks.

The team that can put together a few games on end from now will win it all, and the only other guideline that may suit this season is it may be a team most think least likely to do it.

Mighty impressive turnaround by the Saints in h2. Rarely see anything like that. The 2 Wils Wilkey and Wilson were quite noticable, as were the onballers who consistently got it sharply out of the middle. They had a lot of adventure moving the ball laterally as well. And the tackles and pressure. Brilliant performance.

The schizoid nature of this game reflects the season where most, if not all, teams have shown off their jeckyl hyde natures. So I wouldn't be writing off Cats just yet, as the other top 8 teams are also week to week propositions. In fact, such a loss could be a blessing if it forces a further couple of % improvement in the coming weeks.

The team that can put together a few games on end from now will win it all, and the only other guideline that may suit this season is it may be a team most think least likely to do it.
If I were a gambler, i would put some money on GWS to win it all.

If I were a gambler, i would put some money on GWS to win it all.
They are playing well, but can be scored against, rely heavily on a couple of in-form forwards, and are on a good winning streak, which I always think, negatively I know, the longer it goes on the sooner luck runs out!

Fair

We are in a transition of this list for sure, probably in an ordinary position, but any worse than at end of other years like 2015 or 2018 or even more recent, so it could go terrible for cats, as with many other clubs.

To give Cats their due they have managed to not bottom out with their list and have remained very competitive for a long period of time.

Respect.

To give Cats their due they have managed to not bottom out with their list and have remained very competitive for a long period of time.

Respect.
No real predictor of future though, been blessed with free agency and father son etc ….as most on here will quickly remind.

Anyway, Saints too good, even Chris Scott had few excuses for that 2nd half.

Can you elaborate on these list holes both Saints and Geelong have? I know the Saints list holes but am interested what list holes Geelong have in your opinion.
For Geelong, I'd say we have an aerial weakness now that Hawkins has declined, Stanley doesn't take marks any more and Blicavs is a shell of his former self. O.Henry has also had a poor year and Rohan simply can't get to contests like he used to. We really need SDK, Conway, Neale and O.Henry to take strides forward in this area. We consistently get bullied in the air now.

Then the midfield is an issue. If Dangerfield isn't having the type of game where he gets coaches votes (which is unfair to expect a 34 year old to be doing week in, week out) we struggle in there. Some more pace and spread in midfield is badly needed.

We also need a couple of defenders who are good at locking down on small forwards. Ones who are elite in those 1v1 contests and recovery when the ball hits the deck. It's been an issue since Bews could no longer do it.

Garbage! There is a certain pleasure in defeating Geelong because people like you and Biggy. And, where is that campaigner Gavin?
People like me - okay. I'm not sure we know each other well at all, and if you did you'd see I've thrown essentially no hate at St Kilda or Lyon ever. Saying Geelong games are your supporters and clubs grand finals are a basic fact. The two loudest crowds of the past two years for St Kilda have been this game round 23 last year. Beating Geelong obviously does mean a lot to you, but it's very much a one way rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must be demoralising for Cats supporters talking up Chris Scott as the great attacking coach and he gets beaten at his own game in the second half by boring old defensive Ross Lyon.

He isn't called Ross the Boss for no reason, he taught Chris Scott a coaching lesson tonight and it was don't mess with the best.
I guess we'll see Saints and Ross the Boss in finals?

Watching the replay the old ducker Selwood is a bit quieter on commentary in the second half! 🤣
Selwood should not be a commentator.

Bloke sounds like he has CTE and while being a good captain has zero media charisma.

Thomas and Montagna are the only recently retired players that are pretty good at commentary on tv.

People like me - okay. I'm not sure we know each other well at all, and if you did you'd see I've thrown essentially no hate at St Kilda or Lyon ever. Saying Geelong games are your supporters and clubs grand finals are a basic fact. The two loudest crowds of the past two years for St Kilda have been this game round 23 last year. Beating Geelong obviously does mean a lot to you, but it's very much a one way rivalry.
Nice try.

For Saints fans, we love beating the Cats because they have been a consistently strong team over the last 20 years and are well run so its a great measuring stick for us particularly on the rare games we beat them in Geelong, plus there's a bit of spice there from our history from the last time we were strong 15 years ago.

But you could say the same about when we beat Sydney.

I think the measure of "Grand Finalness" is feeling no matter how strong or weak the club is, and while it's true that we're always happy to beat the Cats, beating them in a weak period is a lit more routine, like beating Richmond, Hawthorn or West Coast now is.

I think our biggest "rivals" are Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. But you're right, it's usually one way, we don't have consistent direct rivals.

Do seem to have a lot of snipey oppo fans who love to look down on us for obvious reasons, but we've never been good long enough to establish a true rivalry I guess. C'est la vie.

Selwood should not be a commentator.

Bloke sounds like he has CTE and while being a good captain has zero media charisma.

Thomas and Montagna are the only recently retired players that are pretty good at commentary on tv.
Joey yes.

Thomas is shit on commentary. TV or Radio.

Nice try.

For Saints fans, we love beating the Cats because they have been a consistently strong team over the last 20 years and are well run so its a great measuring stick for us particularly on the rare games we beat them in Geelong, plus there's a bit of spice there from our history from the last time we were strong 15 years ago.

But you could say the same about when we beat Sydney.

I think the measure of "Grand Finalness" is feeling no matter how strong or weak the club is, and while it's true that we're always happy to beat the Cats, beating them in a weak period is a lit more routine, like beating Richmond, Hawthorn or West Coast now is.

I think our biggest "rivals" are Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. But you're right, it's usually one way, we don't have consistent direct rivals.

Do seem to have a lot of snipey oppo fans who love to look down on us for obvious reasons, but we've never been good long enough to establish a true rivalry I guess. C'est la vie.
I always felt that Saints and Dees had a rivalry in the last 10 years, Dees did take that step and win a premiership that we haven't. I would put Dogs into that Geelong category, where we had a rivalry but they have been decent for the last 10 years so it doesn’t apply anymore.

Just for the record Saints, after instigating the Cats mini onslaught end of q2 by switching over to watch, I turned the telly off at half time, read a book, and only checked scores again once the game was well and truly over.

What do you know. Saints go on a quantum rampage without my observation screwing it up! Weird as hell!
Feel free not to watch again next week please.
Would dearly love to beat the Blues!

Last edited:
Glad he proved me wrong, but there are a lot of instances where he misses tackles or his pressure and awareness are 0
Imagine that…a first year player, turned 19 today, played every game this season being a little off on his tackles or pressure.
Still managed to be player of the game.
( possibly robbed of a third goal too from where I was sitting.)

Round 14 2009 with both of us unbeaten on 13 games was probably one of the best games I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunate loss Mr Meow . I remember when you said Geelong were the benchmark.

Anyway, another win without Petracca today. haha. Not a good day for you.
Hey Dan you don't tag me much anymore! I know you're saving the big one for Geelong's finals exit.

But first, a reminder that a) I never said Geelong were the benchmark (I said we were merely in the mix of contenders, which we still are) and b) Geelong will finish as one of the best four teams in the comp.

I labelled the Demons pretenders very early in the season, you rubbished Geelong. Time to simply take your medicine on both counts and admit you were wrong.

Hey Dan you don't tag me much anymore! I know you're saving the big one for Geelong's finals exit.

But first, a reminder that a) I never said Geelong were the benchmark (I said we were merely in the mix of contenders, which we still are) and b) Geelong will finish as one of the best four teams in the comp.

I labelled the Demons pretenders very early in the season, you rubbished Geelong. Time to simply take your medicine on both counts and admit you were wrong.
dude, even the dees beat port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints v Cats - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Sat August 17th 7:30pm - (Marvel)

Back