Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne crowds low, Carlton crowds high.
Probably because Carlton have more supporters than Melbourne.

This is fascinating stuff, what an amazing discovery.

I thought it was because Melbourne missed out on all those oh-so-favourable fixutres?
Why not several factors.

A lowly supported club failing to draw big crowds because they're shit isn't really noteworthy. Even big clubs can fail to draw huge crowds when they're shit.

Why not several factors.

A lowly supported club failing to draw big crowds because they're shit isn't really noteworthy. Even big clubs can fail to draw huge crowds when they're shit.

Carlton consistently gets great attendances at the MCG no matter how bad they are. Even in 2018 when our attendances were the lowest they have been by far since we left Prince's Park we still averaged 51k at the G. When Carlton are good, our attendances are only a bit higher than our all-time average, and when we our bad, only slightly below.

Just because Dees fans only show up when they're in the top 4 doesn't make that true for every club.

Probably because Carlton have more supporters than Melbourne.

This is fascinating stuff, what an amazing discovery.
Amazed this thread has gotten to three pages without being shut down. Clearly a troll with a hard on for the Dees. Bizarre rant. Maybe AFL should relocate Western Bulldogs to Ballarat as they can't sell out Marvel Stadium?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, I'll try and do as fair a comparison as I possibly can. Lets look at attendances the last time both teams were good. Carlton averaged a crowd of 65k when hosting games at the MCG, Melbourne 49k. Demons and Carlton played each other twice, the game Melbourne hosted had 49872 people there, while the game Carlton hosted had a crowd of 68577. Both pretty much exactly aligned with their respective averages. Melbourne home game was a Friday night, Carlton home game was a Saturday night.

Now lets look at 2019, the last time both teams were crap. Carlton home games at the MCG, average crowd of 60k. Decently big difference between when we're good and when we're bad, but nothing too crazy. Now lets look at Melbourne: average crowd for home games at the G was 33k.

I was genuinely shocked at how low that was. Carlton and Melbourne only played each other once that season, in front of a Carlton home crowd of 55593. For reference, this was higher than any game Melbourne hosted that entire season!

I can't say if this makes Melbourne fans uniquely fairweather, but it sure explains why Carlton still gets good fixtures when we aren't so good, its because our fans will still turn up.

But anyway, like I said, Melbourne will keep getting most of their home games at the G, and rightfully so. No matter how few of your fans turn up.

It shows either Melbourne fans are super fair weather or have **** all supporter base.

They get a lot of free passes simply because their name is Melbourne. Even after winning a flag they haven’t had any great bump in attendances.

It's a fair question, vic fans just like screeching whenever their clubs are held to a standard

It’s not like I am calling for them to be merged or relocated or shut down. If Melbourne get better crowds then no need for a discussion. Just seems stupid to have Essendon and Carlton going close to selling out every game even v interstate sides (neither of us are exactly unstoppable powerhouses at the moment either), while you can have 20k showing up watching the dees at the G.

Dogs and saints would get better crowds than the dees if you gave them the same amount of home games at the G that Melbourne get.

Funny that it's only Carlton supporters that care about attendance, I guess sometimes having big crowds is the only thing they've had going for them in their last 3 decades of failure.

Being successful on field or not is irrelevant to this.

I mean i guess they still play shield cricket at the MCG, so may as well keep the dees playing the same amount of home games there.

I love it how Carlton supporters are bagging Melbourne supporters for low crowds but their very own team got 16,000 to Carlton V GWS in 2018. The very same crowd that Melbourne got for it's recent game against GWS.

Carlton consistently gets great attendances at the MCG no matter how bad they are. Even in 2018 when our attendances were the lowest they have been by far since we left Prince's Park we still averaged 51k at the G. When Carlton are good, our attendances are only a bit higher than our all-time average, and when we our bad, only slightly below.

Just because Dees fans only show up when they're in the top 4 doesn't make that true for every club.

Hehe clever ;)

Its pretty obvious why you keep throwing up averages, and changing whether you include H&A or just Home crowds depending on what suits the narrative, cos dig a little deeper and the argument begins to crumble. That average looks so good cos you only played 7 games at the G that season and the rest at Docklands. The two biggest MCG crowds that pads the average were away games against Richmond and Collingwood who were flying at the time, and helps deflect attention away from pulling 27k v WC and 26k V Port

Some of the stellar Docklands home crowds include- 16k v GWS, 17k v Crows, 21k v Dockers, 24k v Bulldogs

It’s not like I am calling for them to be merged or relocated or shut down. If Melbourne get better crowds then no need for a discussion. Just seems stupid to have Essendon and Carlton going close to selling out every game even v interstate sides (neither of us are exactly unstoppable powerhouses at the moment either), while you can have 20k showing up watching the dees at the G.

Dogs and saints would get better crowds than the dees if you gave them the same amount of home games at the G that Melbourne get.

In the past 3 seasons Carlton has hosted an interstate side at the G twice in 27 games, Port in 2022= 33k and Gold Coast in 2023= 29k. Seems far from a guarantee that if you moved interstate side games from Marvel to the G they would be huge crowds.

I think there’s a more interesting outcome ahead - Marvel is 25yo this year and halfway thru a 50yo lifespan.

It’s still largely disliked and a huge problem for the Docklands area.

In 20 years time it could be rebuilt… or the location sold and a new stadium built.

Gosch’s Pasdock stands out as the obvious location.

If that were to happen then being just a drop kick from the MCG would see a lot more fluidity in Melbourne clubs’ “home games” I think. Big games for all at the G and smaller games over the road - for all clubs.

So you want to move the foundational AFL club that has been playing at the MCG for 166 years?

The only team that can legitimately say this is actually our true home ground.

That's the team you wish to move?

How about ****ing no.

Let's have 4 Rather Rounds -
1.Northern (NSW, ACT, and QLD) 1 Cairns, 2 Gold Coast, 2 Brisbane, 1 SCG, 2 Giants stadium and 1 Canberra
2. Central (Adelaide, Darwin and Alice Spring 6 games in Adelaide, 1 Darwin and 1 Alice Springs)
3. Western (Perth) - 4 Games at Burwood, 2 Leederville, 2 Fremantle, 1 WACA
4. Southern (Victoria and Tasmania) 1 Hobart, 1 Ballarat, 1 Geelong, 1 Launceston, 3 MCG and 2 Docklands.

Play most of the off-Broadway games in the gather rounds and maybe have travelling teams playing the week before or after to reduce travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back