Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the AFL want to maximise crowds, Melbourne should be forced to relocate to Marvel, and get Essendon and Carlton playing more at the G
How's the Blues getting absolutely throat-****ed by Brisbane going.

Where we relocating your pathetic mob to?

Carlton and Essendon splitting their games between the MCG and Docklands is actually more ideal than some realise. Why would you want to host expansion teams and teams with small Victorian based fan bases (eg; Freo, Port) at the MCG with more seagulls than away fans? The atmosphere when Collingwood and Richmond host these teams at the MCG is terrible. It's a better atmosphere at Docklands with a crowd of 30,000 or so.
Collingwood have got 60,000 plus in every single one of their games against interstate sides at the MCG in the last two years except for the notoriously shit Mothers Day fixture v GWS in 2023.

Why would you consider the shitbox that is Marvel as better for the atmosphere when you’d be shutting out supporters willing to go to those games?

Collingwood have got 60,000 plus in every single one of their games against interstate sides at the MCG in the last two years except for the notoriously shit Mothers Day fixture v GWS in 2023.

Why would you consider the shitbox that is Marvel as better for the atmosphere when you’d be shutting out supporters willing to go to those games?
My post was aimed to highlight that Essendon and Carlton are fine playing games at Marvel. I was using Collingwood as an example as the last few games at the MCG vs GWS and GC have been under 40k.

As for Essendon and Carlton, which was the point; they don't usually fill Marvel for GWS, GC, Port, Freo etc so I see no need to rush them into the MCG full time when they don't come close to filling Marvel for these clashes.

My post was aimed to highlight that Essendon and Carlton are fine playing games at Marvel. I was using Collingwood as an example as the last few games at the MCG vs GWS and GC have been under 40k.

As for Essendon and Carlton, which was the point; they don't usually fill Marvel for GWS, GC, Port, Freo etc so I see no need to rush them into the MCG full time when they don't come close to filling Marvel for these clashes.

Both clubs - especially Essendon - have enormous followings in the MCC and AFL members.

Essendon is number 2 for MCC (behind Melbourne) and number 3 in AFL members (behind Collingwood and Carlton). Carlton are number 2 for AFL members and 5 for MCC (behind Melb, Ess, Coll, Rich and ahead of Haw).

In effect it means an Essendon or Carlton mid 30,000’s match against the Dockers or Power probably draws low 50,000’s at the MCG.

I think its inevitable that we’ll see 3 pure MCG tenants - Coll, Melb, Rich - 3 hybrids (6-5 or 5-6) - Haw, Carl, Ess - and 3 pure Marvel tenants - St K, WB and NM.

There will be heaps more games in Melbourne after Tasmania comes in and the AFL looks at a 20th team (Darwin or FNQ)

Ultimately this probably means Geelong get their dream 11 home games at KP (or maybe 10 if they host Easter Monday or the Country Game - if that's still a thing?)

Everyone wins with this. Melbourne and Richmond no longer have to worry about Marvel, Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn get extra games at the MCG and Geelong get their full schedule at their home stadium. North, Dogs and St Kilda will also have more games in Victoria and should get more games at the MCG against the six co-tenants.

One thing is for sure, as long as Melbourne are in the AFL they will be at MCG full time. If they get pushed out that is as good as death for them (which will never happen)

Last edited:

6 of your home crowds in 2022 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
9 of your home crowds in 2018 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
8 of your home crowds in 2017 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
9 of your home crowds in 2015 could have fit in Marvel Stadium

6 of your home crowds in 2022 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
9 of your home crowds in 2018 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
8 of your home crowds in 2017 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
9 of your home crowds in 2015 could have fit in Marvel Stadium
When I finish my time machine I’ll let the AFL know.

I love it how Carlton supporters are bagging Melbourne supporters for low crowds but their very own team got 16,000 to Carlton V GWS in 2018. The very same crowd that Melbourne got for it's recent game against GWS.

Again, how’s this comparable? We were near the end of a 2 win season while Melbourne still in contention for the 8 this year. We are barely any better than Melbourne this year or last year, we want to compare apples and apples.

How's the Blues getting absolutely throat-****ed by Brisbane going.

Where we relocating your pathetic mob to?

Nothing to do with on field success. We still made finals though and you didn’t so pretty odd flex.

You have been more successful on field than us this century and won a flag, doesn’t mean you should always play at a 100k stadium when you still get lower crowds than basically every other Victorian side.

Why are Melbourne fans so fickle? They have a great history, which they should be very proud of. More successful than Geelong's.

I heard so much complaining how they couldn't see their team win a flag at the G, yet a couple of years later, they are nowhere to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there’s a more interesting outcome ahead - Marvel is 25yo this year and halfway thru a 50yo lifespan.

It’s still largely disliked and a huge problem for the Docklands area.

In 20 years time it could be rebuilt… or the location sold and a new stadium built.

Gosch’s Pasdock stands out as the obvious location.

If that were to happen then being just a drop kick from the MCG would see a lot more fluidity in Melbourne clubs’ “home games” I think. Big games for all at the G and smaller games over the road - for all clubs.

Gosch's Paddock would make a great location for a KP+ capacity sized boutique stadium (~45k to 50k stadium with 70% of seats on the bottom deck, 30% on the top deck). Could be used by the AFL, VFL, AFLW, Cricket (BBL, Internaitonal ODIs and T20s), and Concerts etc. Easily at least an event a week right there. That would also give the Melbourne FC a training base they could build into the stadium.

Sell Docklands and use that money to develop Gosch's paddock, the stadium is a roadblock to the water, and along with decking over the train yards between Bourke and La Trobe and demolishing the DFO outlet on Spencer St, that whole area could be easily rejuvinated.

A ~30k ground near North Melbourne or Ardern station in that industrial area would be a stretch goal, but only required if we go to a longer season and have more games to share around (if you add 45 home games in Melbourne, that can sustain a 3rd stadium). I probably prefer seeing Bulldogs and North play 5-6 games each in Ballarat/Bendigo respectively and develop those stadiums to be ~15-20k.

So you want to move the foundational AFL club that has been playing at the MCG for 166 years?

The only team that can legitimately say this is actually our true home ground.

That's the team you wish to move?

How about ****ing no.

MCG isn't the Demons ground anymore. It's the AFL's, and we need to stop holding onto the past. Grounds need to be scheduled based on crowd predictions and capacity required. Melbourne playing some games out of Gosch's Paddock which could also be your training base to me seems like a win win. Playing in front of 20k for a GWS game at the G is not a financially good move. The new stadium could have an MCC section seeing as it's in the same precinct.

Both clubs - especially Essendon - have enormous followings in the MCC and AFL members.

I think its inevitable that we’ll see 3 pure MCG tenants - Coll, Melb, Rich - 3 hybrids (6-5 or 5-6) - Haw, Carl, Ess - and 3 pure Marvel tenants - St K, WB and NM.

There will be heaps more games in Melbourne after Tasmania comes in and the AFL looks at a 20th team (Darwin or FNQ)

Ultimately this probably means Geelong get their dream 11 home games at KP (or maybe 10 if they host Easter Monday or the Country Game - if that's still a thing?)

Marvel should jsut be sold and a proper stadium built in Gosch's Paddock to replace it. Yarra Park is the sporting precinct. The new stadium could include MCC and AFL members sections like the MCG to keep those crowds coming.

The AFL should be scheduling based on crowds. If you can draw 50k+ to a game, it goes to the G. If the game is low demand, it goes to the second stadium (Marvel, Gosch's Paddock, Ballarat, Bendigo etc).

Geelong should get their 11 games. No reason why the country game or Easter Monday can't be played in Geelong. Rotate it every 2nd year so that everyone's home members can see their team play every club over a 2 year period.

20th team should be in Auckland or Perth if they want to maximise TV dollars (opens up new timezones for games to be scheduled, spreading out the weekend), or it should be in Canberra if they care about serving the fans who watch AFL and currently missing out (3x GWS games isn't enough).

Why are Melbourne fans so fickle? They have a great history, which they should be very proud of. More successful than Geelong's.

I heard so much complaining how they couldn't see their team win a flag at the G, yet a couple of years later, they are nowhere to be seen.
Well the AFL screwed us over pretty hard with Mac Andrew. That didn't help. Then Brayshaw's career ended with a crude hit and we have to pay out over 1 mill of his contract. Then we lose out on Tairon Ah-mu, a future NGA player. The AFL are making it very hard for us to be competitive. Still no word on Joel Smith investigation who was our best forward in the 2023 finals series. Throw in the mix we've got Tim Lamb running recruiting who makes our list worse every year and Goodwin who doesn't blood the kids and there's not a lot to look fwd to.

Meanwhile other clubs continue to get blessed with NGA gifts such as Swans, Brisbane, Dogs, Pies etc. and now Essendon getting Kako in this years draft. It's such an unfair comp that I personally have lost a lot of interest in the competition.

Meanwhile other clubs continue to get blessed with NGA gifts such as Swans, Brisbane, Dogs, Pies etc. and now Essendon getting Kako in this years draft. It's such an unfair comp that I personally have lost a lot of interest in the competition.
JUH got stolen from us and given to the dogs. We also play less home games than any other club.

If you keep making excuses, you don't get better. See Carlton over the past 25 years as example #1.

JUH got stolen from us and given to the dogs. We also play less home games than any other club.

If you keep making excuses, you don't get better. See Carlton over the past 25 years as example #1.
Ugle-hagan wasn't in your academy was he?

Not this home game nonsense again. Your home ground is the shape of a basketball court. Plus, your home games are a much bigger home ground advantage than mcg teams get against other mcg teams.

p.s. they're not excuses. They're facts. The dees have been the most disadvantaged club of any club in the afl when it comes to nga and father-son which is basically perfectly aligned to how the afl ladder shapes.

Teams get better by hitting the draft hard or getting nga/father-sons. the ladder shows us this.

Ugle-hagan wasn't in your academy was he?

Not this home game nonsense again. Your home ground is the shape of a basketball court. Plus, your home games are a much bigger home ground advantage than mcg teams get against other mcg teams.

p.s. they're not excuses. They're facts. The dees have been the most disadvantaged club of any club in the afl when it comes to nga and father-son which is basically perfectly aligned to how the afl ladder shapes.

Teams get better by hitting the draft hard or getting nga/father-sons. the ladder shows us this.

What do you base this claim on?

Jack Viney is pretty handy.

What do you base this claim on?

Jack Viney is pretty handy.
on looking at all of the other teams.

Sydney: Blakey, Gulden, Heeney, Tom Mitchell etc.
Brisbane: Ashcroft x 2, Fletcher, Jono Brown,
Dogs: Ugle-hagan, Darcy, Hunter, Liberatore, Cordy, Wallis, Croft.
Geelong: Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett, Bews etc.
Collingwood:Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Daicos x 2, Shaw x 2, Cloke, McGuane coming in.
Essendon: Watson, Fletcher, Daniher, Kako.
WCE: Cousins, Waterman,
Rich: Richardson, Bowden
Carlton: Waite, Whitnall, Silvagni,

And there's about 100 other NGA players in the league that can be thrown in.

on looking at all of the other teams.

Sydney: Blakey, Gulden, Heeney, Tom Mitchell etc.
Brisbane: Ashcroft x 2, Fletcher, Jono Brown,
Dogs: Ugle-hagan, Darcy, Hunter, Liberatore, Cordy, Wallis, Croft.
Geelong: Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett, Bews etc.
Collingwood:Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Daicos x 2, Shaw x 2, Cloke, McGuane coming in.
Essendon: Watson, Fletcher, Daniher, Kako.
WCE: Cousins, Waterman,
Rich: Richardson, Bowden
Carlton: Waite, Whitnall, Silvagni,

And there's about 100 other NGA players in the league that can be thrown in.

There are 9 other clubs you left off that list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dees to Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back