Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly No players have posted any stories on insta since that shit show. Usually you get some sort of golf story or Blakey playing that Drake and Future “Life is Good” song with a caption. It’s been crickets.

Maybe Horse has locked them in the dungeon with a sports psychologist to figure out wtf is going on 🤣
I see that absence of social media posts as a positive, one job.

From Horse’s presser, only thing I learnt is Ramps and Amartey will be back, Melican maybe

And from the sounds of it, NO other changes (subject to training I presume)

Seems like plenty here want the better in form players in the reserves picked but when there are opportunities, and they underperform, suddenly it’s the wrong decision and they should have gone with someone else. 🤷‍♂️

Francis has been our best defender in the 2s. Hamling was moved out of there. Hamling stared well as a forward but his form has faded at the same time Ladhams form as a key forward (/ruck) has been better.

Francis and Ladhams were the correct choices based on reserves form.

(And I don’t personally think Hamling would be a viable key forward at AFL level, is slow and would offer little after the contest).

From Horse’s presser, only thing I learnt is Ramps and Amartey will be back, Melican maybe

And from the sounds of it, NO other changes (subject to training I presume)

I'd be happy if those are the changes, no Francis is a huge positive. I'm hesitant to change the whole team although get Mills out of the midfield for goodness sakes (while he's half fit)

Seems like plenty here want the better in form players in the reserves picked but when there are opportunities, and they underperform, suddenly it’s the wrong decision and they should have gone with someone else. 🤷‍♂️

Francis has been our best defender in the 2s. Hamling was moved out of there. Hamling stared well as a forward but his form has faded at the same time Ladhams form as a key forward (/ruck) has been better.

I agree with everything else, definitely Francis (we forget he was part of the back-line that rendered Charlie Curnow the comp's most ineffective swingman earlier this year, and that was without McCartin in it.)

However I still think Ladhams was the wrong pick and we should've just gone smaller. Watching him, Grundy and McLean out there looked like a dinosaur exhibition.

I agree with everything else, definitely Francis (we forget he was part of the back-line that rendered Charlie Curnow the comp's most ineffective swingman earlier this year, and that was without McCartin in it.)

However I still think Ladhams was the wrong pick and we should've just gone smaller. Watching him, Grundy and McLean out there looked like a dinosaur exhibition.

Unfortunately we could have had the 4 best forward of all time out there and if the midfield was that soft as it was, we'd have still been pantsed

Would be strange for Parker to go out, I'd think it's Wicks, Ladhams, Francis all on the chopping block. No idea why we started Fox forward when he should have been playing Francis' role.
Ladhams, Wicks, Adams, maybe Fox, Francis out

In: Rampe, Melly, Amartey, Magor, Gus & Cleary

I'd say Heeney & Warner both out but I know I would get screamed at. They were both shitful & at times did not even try.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can understand going smaller, but if the choice was to keep the structure and it was between Hamling and Ladhams then it’s probably the right one.

Some of the concern is we already struggle to compete in the air. We desperately need someone who can consistently clunk marks. If Reid hadn’t been injured, he would have almost certainly been the replacement you’d think.

I'd say Heeney & Warner both out but I know I would get screamed at. They were both shitful & at times did not even try.

I don’t think Magor is anywhere near it imo

No way on earth are we making that many forced changes. Won't happen and should not happen.

It will be Ladhams, Francis out, Rampe and Amartey in. Simple. Now you may see one other one but my gut feel is the players will be given another chance, and we sure aint playing Cleary and Magor for goodness sakes

(And I don’t personally think Hamling would be a viable key forward at AFL level, is slow and would offer little after the contest).
you have described our entire tall forward setup

I can understand going smaller, but if the choice was to keep the structure and it was between Hamling and Ladhams then it’s probably the right one.

Some of the concern is we already struggle to compete in the air. We desperately need someone who can consistently clunk marks. If Reid hadn’t been injured, he would have almost certainly been the replacement you’d think.

the inability to compete in the air forward of the ball is killing us. watching jones just take mark after mark, zerk-thatcher on the weekend, in the last quarter against freo. if our tall forwards could halve contests we might have more than one possession inside 50 to half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ins Melican Rampe Sheldrick
Outs Francis Ladhams Wicks
Sub Corey Warner

Pies only have 2 tall forwards in Cox and McStay so if fit, Rampe to play medium. If Melican not fit, Edwards in for debut, should be able to stay with Cox. If Rampe not fit, Corey Warner to play, Campbell sub.

I would not bring back Amartey, unless it's to replace Logan or McLean. 3 tall forwards not working.
It has worked fine for most of the season & it seems to work for every other side. It certainly worked well for Port. Who will replace Amartey? What small would you bring in? I mean Konstanty is injured, not only that, he has not exhibited any then that would tell me he is anywhere near the level. Parker plays forward & Wicks out. I would not play Mills forward & on his current form needs a go in the Twos.

McLean is the second ruck, so that gives us much more fire power & Will plays more a tall role when he is in the ruck & Grundy on the bench.

the inability to compete in the air forward of the ball is killing us. watching jones just take mark after mark, zerk-thatcher on the weekend, in the last quarter against freo. if our tall forwards could halve contests we might have more than one possession inside 50 to half time.
Completely agree, it’s a real problem.

If we don’t get the run that made us so successful earlier in the year, any other plan falls over due to the inability of our talls to compete in the air.

Yeah if Reid was available I would've been fine with him coming in. I was sort of coming around to the idea of bringing him in in place of Amartey and/or McDonald anyway as their form had tapered off. I just think there has to be a point at which keeping the structure ends up detrimental, and playing three slow, heavy big men* in the same team was probably that point.

Having said all of this it would've made as much difference to the result as Sam Reid's supposed grand final-sabotaging injury in 2022.

*I know Grundy is an athletic beast for his size but a ruck is still a ruck. I'm not even convinced Grundy is at 100% at the moment either.

Can some of the blame be directed at the midfield here, boy the forward are easy targets, but how about kicking to a forwards advantage for once like we were doing 6 weeks ago funny that. You kick and hope and bomb at forwards heads and then wonder why your forwards can't take a mark? Buddy Franklin, Reiwolt, Curnow combined would struggle to take a mark the way we have butchered it the last month!

Can some of the blame be directed at the midfield here, boy the forward are easy targets, but how about kicking to a forwards advantage for once like we were doing 6 weeks ago funny that. You kick and hope and bomb at forwards heads and then wonder why your forwards can't take a mark? Buddy Franklin, Reiwolt, Curnow combined would struggle to take a mark the way we have butchered it the last month!

If the midfield are under pressure (as they have been) because we cant exit stoppages and we need to kick it long the forwards have to present and compete. I mean the only reason we first scored against the dogs was because logan spoiled from behind

The last quarter against freo was mclean playing from behind 5-6 times in a row and uncontested marks being taken.

kicking to advantage is a nice option when you have a modicum of time (which we havent been getting). I could take marks when the ball is kicked to my advantage on a lead. Competing forwards of it when the team is under pressure is what you get paid for.

Gonna be a villain here and say im still not convinced on McLean as a forward spear head long term. Yes he competes but just enough and can clunk them sometimes but he is missing something that any of the top tall forwards have and that is mongrel and presence.

When the ball is coming in i just don’t feel convinced that he is coming in at the ball with the mindset that **** this, this ball is mine get out of the ****ing way. He seems to just go at it without exploding into the contest.

You could say the same about Logan as well but McLean is built like a truck.

Also not to mention he isn’t anywhere near a reliable set shot at goal.

Like I said, still not convinced on him long term.

Out: Francis, Ladhams, Wicks & Mills
In: Rampe, Amartey, Hanily & Melican

Give us some speed and better ability in the air

If the midfield are under pressure (as they have been) because we cant exit stoppages and we need to kick it long the forwards have to present and compete. I mean the only reason we first scored against the dogs was because logan spoiled from behind

The last quarter against freo was mclean playing from behind 5-6 times in a row and uncontested marks being taken.

kicking to advantage is a nice option when you have a modicum of time (which we havent been getting). I could take marks when the ball is kicked to my advantage on a lead. Competing forwards of it when the team is under pressure is what you get paid for.

See that's a complete cop out, have you seen what McCluggage/Neale have been doing the last 6-8 weeks? Did you see what we were doing the first 15 weeks. Not kicking and hoping every second time we have the ball is a huge reason on their turnaround, put it in front of your leading forwards, and this is ESPECIALLY the case when you have Papley out, yet we've made it worse for our forwards not better. I blame the mids so much more than the forwards who are on a hiding to nothing. Any chance of winning clearances and getting outsides to kick it efficiently into 50..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back