Petrenko-Jenkins-Porplyzia
Vince-Walker-Douglas
Sloane-S Thompson-van Berlo
Reilly-Talia-Mookay
Brown-Rutten-Shaw
Jacobs-Dangerfield-Wright

Crouch-Johncock-Henderson-(Martin)
EMG: Jaensch, Otten, Riley.

In reality, Jaensch is probably ahead of Martin in the pecking order but I like Martin as sub because he is really the only player of ours who has ever had an impact as sub. Callinan is out because he is either unavailable, or if he is available his preparation has been set back so he will probably come back through Centrals. Tambling is confirmed out by Sando - not sure whether this has anything to do with his injury or not.

Unavailable: Smith, Tambling(?), Callinan(?)
In the mix: L Thompson, Kerridge, Lyons
Not in the mix: CEY, McKernan, Johnston, Lynch, Grigg, Atkins, Graham, Joyce, Siggins (in that order)

Essendon pace, run and carry will be our major concern IMO.

Essendon looked great early last seson before the wheels fell off remember.

Hard to make much of that, whether they are the side at the start of 2012 or the end of 2012.

Notching up early wins takes the pressure of the club. I think the game against the Blues was very good. Im concerned we are a match short though of firing.

Well what has made it harder to nail exact team for this week as have not seen any feedback re all Crows players playing SANFL trials on weekend.
Any feedback from anyone as Crows site does not.
See Sando has ruled Tambling out for Sat. game .
Think we have enough ready without picking Callinan with injury doubts etc.

Well what has made it harder to nail exact team for this week as have not seen any feedback re all Crows players playing SANFL trials on weekend.
Any feedback from anyone as Crows site does not.
See Sando has ruled Tambling out for Sat. game .
Think we have enough ready without picking Callinan with injury doubts etc.

Fortunately and hopefully Porps is there for the game along side with Petrenko. Thats enough cover and throw in Stiffy as well.

Hard to make much of that, whether they are the side at the start of 2012 or the end of 2012.

Notching up early wins takes the pressure of the club. I think the game against the Blues was very good. Im concerned we are a match short though of firing.
Given Carlton were comprehensively beaten by Brisbane I think we're definitely a little underdone.
With the Bombers though I wonder if the real case was that someone had found out about the supplements they were taking around mid 2012, and hence as soon as it was revealed - and players were no longer having them, that this marked the start of their decline? To me it looks as if their rapid fall from grace was a little more than simply poor form, or a few injuries, or improvement from other sides. That said, one hopes it's the latter 2012 team that shows up on Friday night - which we'll struggle with anyway.

Nutter will miss, Sam Shaw will be given more time before he plays ones and Andy Otten will take that third tall spot. Locked. Both Nutter and Sam Shaw considered 'Best 22' and are the only ones to miss.

Mate with your record we'll just take that as read.

So outs from prelim
Tippett
Doughty
Smith
Callinan
Thomson

Ins
Jenkins
Brown
Jaensch
Crouch
Talia

Sound about right?

Nutter will miss, Sam Shaw will be given more time before he plays ones and Andy Otten will take that third tall spot. Locked. Both Nutter and Sam Shaw considered 'Best 22' and are the only ones to miss.

Yeah would have been a huge call to play Shaw on the back of half a nab cup game. Otten has played every game in the preseason (1 with South) and im confident he can step up and get the job done. He is good on a tall - see his job on Darling late last year. Essendon will have Hurley, Ryder and Crameri up front so he will be needed.

Who misses out Jaensch, Martin or Crouch?

Im guessing Martin. Crouch for sub.

Let's hope Otten is back to his best, it would great for the side but more importantly him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah would have been a huge call to play Shaw on the back of half a nab cup game. Otten has played every game in the preseason (1 with South) and im confident he can step up and get the job done. He is good on a tall - see his job on Darling late last year. Essendon will have Hurley, Ryder and Crameri up front so he will be needed.

I reckon Crouch is in, and one of Brown, Jaensch and Martin misses. I reckon Brown makes the 21, Jaensch is the sub and Martin misses out (although I would prefer Martin as sub as posted earlier).

After todays clash against Freo, this is my round 1 team based on form as well as talent. Also taking into account injuries...

FF: Callinan - Jenkins - Porplyzia

HF: Martin - Walker - Douglas

C: Sloane - Wright - Henderson

HB: Mackay - Talia - Reilly

FB: van Berlo - Rutten - Shaw

1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Thompson

INT: Crouch - Vince - McKernan (S) Johncock

This is what I think our Round 1 side will look like now. Perhaps swap Smack for Bling, but apart from that I think it's pretty close.

This is what I think our Round 1 side will look like now. Perhaps swap Smack for Bling, but apart from that I think it's pretty close.

Bling won't play round 1, although Sando reckons he will play games this year. He says that Bling has impressed the coaches this year with his efforts on the track and in the NAB cup. I reckon we'll see him round 3 or 4 after he has a few runs in the ressies.

As for the team, this is what I came up with:

Vince-Walker-Douglas
Reilly-Talia-Mookay
Brown-Rutten-Shaw

Crouch-Johncock-Henderson-(Martin)
EMG: Jaensch, Otten, Riley.

In reality, Jaensch is probably ahead of Martin in the pecking order but I like Martin as sub because he is really the only player of ours who has ever had an impact as sub. Callinan is out because he is either unavailable, or if he is available his preparation has been set back so he will probably come back through Centrals. Tambling is confirmed out by Sando - not sure whether this has anything to do with his injury or not.

Unavailable: Smith, Tambling(?), Callinan(?)
In the mix: L Thompson, Kerridge, Lyons
Not in the mix: CEY, McKernan, Johnston, Lynch, Grigg, Atkins, Graham, Joyce, Siggins (in that order)
It does. Sando said he has been the standout at training in the past week, but that the injury just came at the wrong time for him. If Brown's form dips slightly, Tambo will be straight in.

I have heard from a source in the playing 22 that Crouch and Callinan aren't playing, Luke Brown is in the starting 22 along with Jaensch and Otten. So the team to line up similar to this:

Vince-Walker-Douglas
Reilly-Talia-Otten
Brown-Rutten-Jaensch

Mookay-Johncock-Henderson-(Martin)

EMG: Crouch, Tambling, Riley.

No Crouch? Thats disappointing and short sighted. When is he going to get a game unless we have injuries with Callinan and Smith to come back?

Is it time we moved VB into defence and free up a midfield spot?

No Crouch? Thats disappointing and short sighted. When is he going to get a game unless we have injuries with Callinan and Smith to come back?

Is it time we moved VB into defence and free up a midfield spot?

Wait a minute, I heard this morning that Crouch was highly likely to be named. I don't trust the source though.

I'd be very surprised if he isn't named.

The signs are that AFC won't play underdone/injured players - rules out Tambling, makes Callinan very unlikely & probably gives Otten the edge over Shaw.

For this reason, I would be surprised if Crouch & Brown are NOT named.

I think the last spot comes down to Jaensch & Martin. Given VB is playing a forward (perhaps as a match up on Goddard?), I think they will be Jaensch as the extra defender. I would prefer Martin to play, but think he will be an emergency.

Yes, I don't know the answer to this. I was only told Callinan and Shaw were definitely out and Otten was in. So that means that one of the three you mention you'd imagine would miss out.

I have a feeling it might actually be Crouchy and this is based on nothing other than the fact that Patty D didn't select him in his dreamteam which is REALLY weird as he's listed some odd cash cows but Crouchy was not one of them despite him being bottom priced (even for an elite draftee - less than Kane Mitchell...). But again, I don't know...one of these three would miss and I don't think its going to be Jaenschy (missing Tambling and Smith).

Luke Brown is a confirmed starter.

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back