Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB CUP ROUND 1
ETIHAD STADIUM
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH

Pies1.jpg
VS
richmond-tigers.gif

COLLINGWOOD VS RICHMOND
8.20PM

Pies1.jpg
VS
Carlton.png

COLLINGWOOD VS CARLTON
9.25PM

Weather;

Radar; http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml

Forecast; http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Teams;

COLLINGWOOD
1. Leon Davis, 2. Chris Tarrant, 7. Andrew Krakouer, 8. Harry O'Brien, 10. Scott Pendlebury, 11. Jarryd Blair, 12. Luke Ball, 13. Dale Thomas, 15. Leigh Brown, 17. Dayne Beams, 18. Darren Jolly, 19. Cameron Wood, 20. Ben Reid, 21. Sharrod Wellingham, 22. Steele Sidebottom, 23. Lachlan Keefe, 25. Tom Young, 26. Ben Johnson, 27. Simon Buckley, 28. Ben Sinclair, 30. Brent Macaffer, 31. Chris Dawes, 34. Alan Toovey, 35. Alex Fasolo, 37. Kirk Ugle, 38. Scott Reed, 39. Heath Shaw, 40. Paul Seedsman, 43. Trent Stubbs, 45. Tom Hunter, 47. Jack Perham, 48. Jye Bolton

CARLTON
1. Andrew Walker, 2. Jordan Russell, 3. Marc Murphy, 4. Bryce Gibbs, 6. Kade Simpson, 9. Kane Lucas, 10. Matthew Watson, 11. Rob Warnock, 12. Mitchell Robinson, 13. Chris Yarran, 15. Jeremy Laidler, 17. Setanta O'hAilpin, 18. Paul Bower, 19. Eddie Betts, 22. Shaun Hampson, 26. Andrew McInnes, 27. Dennis Armfield, 28. Jaryd Cachia, 29. Heath Scotland, 30. Jarrad Waite, 31. Marcus Davies, 32. Bret Thornton, 34. Nick Duigan, 35. Ed Curnow, 36. Rohan Kerr, 39. Wayde Twomey, 40. Michael Jamison, 41. Levi Casboult, 42. Zach Tuohy, 45. Aaron Joseph, 46. David Ellard, 47. Mitchell Carter

RICHMOND
2. Will Thursfield, 10. Shane Edwards, 12. David Astbury, 13. Brad Miller, 18. Alex Rance, 19. Daniel Connors, 20. Mitch Morton, 21. Shane Tuck, 22. Ben Nason, 26. Robin Nahas, 28. Jake King, 29. Tyrone Vickery, 30. Reece Conca, 31. Jake Batchelor, 32. Brad Helbig, 33. David Gourdis, 34. Andrew Browne, 35. Matthew White, 36. Dean MacDonald, 39. Tom Derickx, 40. Kel Moore, 42. Jamie O'Reilly, 43. Matt Dea, 44. Troy Taylor, 46. Jeromey Webberley, 47. Ben Jakobi, 48. Dylan Grimes, 49. Pat Contin, 51. Nick Westhoff, 52. Mitch Keddell
Preview (Dave86);

http://bit.ly/hOgQRP

My Thoughts;

So here we are, it's come back around again, after what can only be described as a glorious 2010 campaign for this great club, we start out with a new format, but with familiar foes. Collingwood's pre season has seemed to go almost “perfectly”, with no major injuries, and the recruitment of some top line replacements in the likes of Tarrant and Krakouer, and the inclusion of plenty of fresh faced, talented youth to add to the already young list.
2011 promises to be something special again at Collingwood, no matter what the ultimate result, and it will be one hell of a ride for us pies fans.

First up is the Richmond Tigers, and the less said about their state the better, with the likes of Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Newman and Deledio all missing, the likelihood of a good showing by the Tigers is highly unlikely, and we should be able to pick them apart even better then Carlton do in game 1, as we will have had a look at them prior to our game. The contested ball should be where we absolutely dominate here, both in ruck contests and in general play, the young tigers lack the physicality to compete with us, and this should be an easy opener for the champs.

The final game of the night sees the two great old enemies of the AFL in a head to head battle which will most likely decide who enters the second round of this years NAB Cup. Carlton have left their main man out, with rumours circulating that Judd's injury is worse then reported, and they are also missing Kreuzer, Mclean, Gartlett and Houlihan, although the last 3 aren't exactly going to be missed. For the Pies, we will have to start well, as Carlton will have the fresher legs after having a 90 minute break after their opener, and are likely to finish the stronger. We have left several big names out also, with Swan, Maxwell, Cloke, Didak, Goldsack and Nathan Brown the premiership playings not making an appearance at all tonight.
This game will be won in the forward lines, as it is likely to be an open, free flowing game, especially with the introduction of a few trial rules, including the astoundingly bad last player to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds gives away the free rule.
Without Cloke, Collingwood will rely on Jolly and Brown to support Dawes, MaCaffer and maybe even Tarrant in the forward line, while Carlton will rely heavily on the big Irishman Setanta, and their small forwards to put up a winning score.

We won't learn a lot tonight about all 3 teams, but we may learn a lot about certain individuals, especially those that have not made an impact at AFL level yet, and that is always the excitement of the pre season competition.

What I would like to see.

This one is easy, Chris Tarrant and Andrew Krakouer are one of the main reasons why tomorrow's matches are a must watch for pies fans, just to see their first official outings in the Collingwood guernsey (Tarrant's first in a while anyway). I'd love to see Krak given a run in the middle, it would really boost his confidence going into the season if he is able to produce at senior level this early in the season, and against a decent side in Carlton also.

439009-pn-image-sport-andrew-krakouer.jpg

chris-tarrant-420x0.jpg

Tip(s);

I can't see Richmond getting near us, but the Carlton game might be very close, coming down to nine pointers and the new rules to decide who enters the second round of the NAB Cup.
But being my optimistic self, even in the NAB Cup, I can see us notching two wins to start our journey for 2011.

Collingwood by 32 (vs Richmond)

Collingwood by 6 (vs Carlton)

:thumbsu::D

I'd say we won't know the final 29 until just before our first game starts, as we probably don't have to put our finalised squad in until an hour before our first game (or about the time the Richmond/Carlton game starts).

I'd expect 3 of the rookies to miss, as to which 3 miss, it's anyone's guess.

And yes, ain't it great to see the footy back, and oh boy, how bad were our round 1 opponents Port Adelaide tonight.

I'd say we won't know the final 29 until just before our first game starts, as we probably don't have to put our finalised squad in until an hour before our first game (or about the time the Richmond/Carlton game starts).

And yes, ain't it great to see the footy back, and oh boy, how bad were our round 1 opponents Port Adelaide tonight.

Yeah Port where Pathetic. IF that shows us anything then we should Flog Port Easily in RD 1:thumbsu:

On my count we're missing 13 players from our best 22. (Cotchin, Deledio, Farmer, Foley, Graham, Grigg, Houli, Jackson, McGuane, Moore, Newman, Riewoldt, one of Post/Griffiths).

Not that that the result means much but would've been nice to have a bit more of a competitive squad. At the very least surprised Grigg and Houli aren't playing given they aren't injured. Not taking this very seriously at all I guess so will just have to see which kids shown signs. Can't remember the last time we weren't knocked out of the NAB Cup in the 1st round.

I'm scared we will lose by 10 goals in 40 mins of football. :eek:

On my count we're missing 13 players from our best 22. (Cotchin, Deledio, Farmer, Foley, Graham, Grigg, Houli, Jackson, McGuane, Moore, Newman, Riewoldt, one of Post/Griffiths).

Not that that the result means much but would've been nice to have a bit more of a competitive squad. At the very least surprised Grigg and Houli aren't playing given they aren't injured. Not taking this very seriously at all I guess so will just have to see which kids shown signs. Can't remember the last time we weren't knocked out of the NAB Cup in the 1st round.

I'm scared we will lose by 10 goals in 40 mins of football. :eek:

I remember in 04 richmond beat Collingwood in round one of the preseason cup.

Was super excited for this until i watched the new out of bounds rule put into practice tonight.

Now just moderately excited.

That rule was so bad, surely it'll be scrapped by tonight :rolleyes:

Given we are resting five big names ( Swan, Maxwell, Cloke, N Brown and Didak) and Blues resting two ( Judd, Kreuzer) plus them possibly also being favoured by the rest, they are a chance to sneak past us.

Even if so, we'll prob still qualify, as we'll beat Richmond's kids by a lot and Blues game close either way.

Agree Matty and I think going by Intra Club match Perham would be the only rookie to play tonight

I watched maybe 2 mins of last nights game and I was already starting to get bored from it. I don't know if it was the teams playing, the rules, the standard of play, it just wasn't very entertaining, and because the game was so short it didn't really keep me interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What will happen should Collingwood beat Richmond, Richmond beat Carlton, and Carlton beat Collingwood?
Each team would have one win, and theoretically could all have the same point aggregate unless I've made a stupid mistake.

What will happen should Collingwood beat Richmond, Richmond beat Carlton, and Carlton beat Collingwood?
Each team would have one win, and theoretically could all have the same point aggregate unless I've made a stupid mistake.
It would come down to a simple percentage calculation.

No need to worry about that tonight though, if the Tigers get within 4 goals of either team they are doing well.:eek:

Carlton vs Collingwood in the final game of the night will be the one to watch, it may even get serious as it will basically be a battle to see who automatically qualifies through to round 2, after both sides have disposed of the Tigers pretty easily.

It would come down to a simple percentage calculation.

No need to worry about that tonight though, if the Tigers get within 4 goals of either team they are doing well.:eek:

Carlton vs Collingwood in the final game of the night will be the one to watch, it may even get serious as it will basically be a battle to see who automatically qualifies through to round 2, after both sides have disposed of the Tigers pretty easily.

Ah I see your on to the Carl -6.5 line and Coll -14.5 line multi. Great value as both are $1.87 :)

In Tassie at the moment, flying back this evening then straight to Ethihad. Looking forward to the footy being back, even in a T20 format.
Just looking to keep a eye on the likes of Fasolo, Bolton, Young, Keefe, Sinclair get around, and of course Taz and Krakouer.

We`should get through to the second round, but anything can happen in this format.

Hear that Heater and Benny J are not playing tonight?

Will be an interesting experience, to sit there and watch Richmond play Carlton, knowing that we still have to play them both after that.

I have awesome seats tonight too, right near the players bench, which is always interesting, especially in the pre season games.

I'm just happy to be able to watch our boys play again, and it's the official return of everyone's (past) favourite, Tarrant, which just adds to the excitement.:)

Will be an interesting experience, to sit there and watch Richmond play Carlton, knowing that we still have to play them both after that.

I have awesome seats tonight too, right near the players bench, which is always interesting, especially in the pre season games.

I'm just happy to be able to watch our boys play again, and it's the official return of everyone's (past) favourite, Tarrant, which just adds to the excitement.:)

Get the old 'Collingwooooood' chant going during the Richmond v Carlton match? Or should we just watch and pity both teams, it's a tough one.

I am quite interested to see how Kirk Ugle goes as I reckon if plays well in these Pre-Season games he could play quite early in the Regular Season

Video of Ugle:

[YOUTUBE]9kJl4yalItM[/YOUTUBE]

Undecided whether I'm going tonight... got a bit of a flu happening atm. Definitely wouldn't keep me away from a regular season game though...
Either way, will be disappointed if we don't win both of our games easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back