Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidebottom and Reid are two wonderful players to watch and both should take big strides this year (particularly Sidebottom). You develop your kids incredibly well.

The 1st half against the cheats, Sidey killed it. Just head and shoulders above.

Blew a few cobwebs out.

Nice tap work by Woody albeit against a couple of nuffies. Good also that he rucked the entire 4 quarters. I don't recall Leroy contesting a ruck.

Blair looks in good nick and Daisy...hehehehehe...I'm expecting big things this year.

Dawes is a Pie Beast. No pun intended.

Beams was decent as well. He had a good year last year before struggling somewhat in the finals. Hopefully with another full pre-season he can run out the year better.

Didn't end up going, enjoyed laying back on the couch and watching the boys though. My thoughts:

2. Tarrant - Looked a bit rusty at times but did some nice things - he does move very well. Looked out of place up forward.
7. Krakouer - Started slowly & legspeed an issue at times, but thought his clearance work was fantastic. Look forward to him developing as the season unfolds.
8. HarryO - He was OK - didn't do too much but showed a little bit of flair when he did.
10. Pendles - Coasted around in 2nd gear, always has a touch of class though.
11. Blair - incredible attack on the footy. Many (like me) were questioning whether he had a place in our best 22 to start the year - based on what I saw tonight there's no doubt of that.
12. Ball - Barely saw him, did a couple of nice things in close though.
13. Thomas - Showed enough in the first game to suggest he will pick up where he left off last season... can't wait to see him all year
15. Leroy - Standard game from him.. did some nice aggressive things but did some dumb things.
17. Beams - Good in the first game, fairly quiet in the 2nd. Did enjoy him kicking the set shot against the Tiges because that is certainly an area he struggled in in 2010.
18. Jolly - Kept the big man under wraps, no worries there!
19. Wood - I was very happy with his ruck work - albeit against pretty average competition. Still did not do much around the ground.
20. Reid - Thought he was superb, such a cool head down back. Has 200 gamer written all over him.
21. Wellingham - A bit average honestly.. did some nice things in close but decision making/disposal wayward
22. Sidebottom - BOG in the Carlton game by an absolute mile. So creative, just knows where to be. All set for a massive year I suspect.
23. Keeffe - I think we do have something to work with here... he has a long way to go but he is so big & takes a strong grab. At least a year or so away though.
25. Young - a bit off the pace, was expecting a bit more from him. Will not see senior action this year.
26. Johnson - solid enough, should be as effective as he was in 2010.
27. Buckley - Pretty average - can't see him playing seniors this year.
28. Sinclair - Moves well, disposal was a bit off at times. Liked his endeavour.
30. Caff - Not too bad, didn't do a great deal but still showed poise.
31. Dawesome - What a specimen he is. He's still 22 years old! Can't wait to see him and Cloke in tandem this year.
34. Tooooves - Much of the same from Tooves, should be there abouts this year
35. Fasolo - Took a bit of time to get adjusted to the pace, looks likely though.
37. Ugle - he looks to have a nice bag of tricks... just needs to maybe use his head a little more.
38. Reed - Presented well against the Tiges, kicking was suspect though.
39. Shaw - Looks in tip top shape, should be in for a massive year.
45. Hunter - Didn't see too much of him, but looks like he does attack the ball hard
47. Perham - Liked the look of him.. didn't get a great deal of it though.
48. Bolton - wow, we could have found one here. That mark and goal against the Tiges was superb. One to watch for sure.

Just got back - my take

Krakouer: enough to get excited about - clearances / danger in front of goal
Harry: very good start
Blair: very impressed tonight
Thomas: How hard did he hit the contest!! His tackling was outstanding
Beams: Better for the run and a nice long goal
Reid: Apart from his greta kicking, i really liked that he took a couple of big one-on-one marks to repel attacks
Steele: Just ace
Keefe: I though he had presence and took some excellent, strong marks
Young: Some of what he does i like but as in the vfl last year, a couple times think he lacked awareness or the nous to take the first option - this can be worked on
Sinclair: ran hard and fast...disposal ~
Dawes: loved his games

How good was it to see new boys get their hands on the ball
Fasolo (nice goal)/ Ugle (my biggest cheer for the night when he snapped that goal)/ Perham (very strong mark)/ Bolton (bit of it and a great mark to set up his goal)

Of the young guys, I thought Bolton was the most impressive. Also liked what I saw of Sinclair and Keeffe.

I didn't think Buckley looked too bad out there tbh, shouldn't be in the team rd 1 but i think he'll see senior action this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the senior guys Thomas looked a class above. Will be a real weapon this year & carry on that GF form.

Blair I am now sure belongs in best 22, he is full of tenacity and used the ball well, love what I see from the little big man.

Sidey must stink because no one goes near him, seriously knows how to find space & his endurance running is amazing, so much more important now with less interchange.

Krak looked clean & works hard. Found he does lack pace, however makes up with his balance skills & vision.

Keefe is a beast. Given another 1-2 years & this kid will be tearing them apart. Where to play him though?

Perham was my biggest surprise & a pleasant one. Looks a more than handy pickup, interested to follow his development.

Bolton too was great. Some rough edges but he certainly is pushing his case earlier than expected.

Special mention to Sinclair whose efforts were quite fierce.

Just got back from Etihad.

Impressions from both games were that for this time of year, and considering we are 3-4 weeks behind most teams because of the Grand Finals, we are really "flying".

Carlton should have beaten us in the last game, they had the advantage of the rest, and were always going to finish with more run in their legs, but they are the Blues for one reason, and that reason is to lose close games.:):thumbsu:

For us, the highlight of the night for me was Kirk Ugle's minute of magic, the little tap on and snap to Steele for a goal, and then the awesome pickup and goal under pressure was great to see from the little fella (Blair must be loving Ugle, finally someone smaller then him:D).

I thought Wood dominated in the ruck in both games, but he's still "Woody", as mentioned above he just doesn't know how to get possessions.

Tarrant and Krakouer did enough on "debut" to show us they will do nothing else but add to our strength of depth in all areas, with both being very versatile players.

Ben Reid, Blair and Dawes stood out for me, watch these 3, they are ready to take the next step and become elite footballers over the next 12 months or so.

Overall, a good night, considering we had 9 premiership players out of the game against Richmond, and 7 against Carlton (plus the likes of Rounds, Davis etc).

Onto round 2, any idea who we play?:confused:

Blair was unreal ! Played so well. Dale also, was.sad to see he was rested for game 2. Love the way Seinclair goes about it, he's nuts !

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back