Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW my comments;

Gameplan has changed. A lot of quick hands through the middle when in traffic. interesting to see how it goes when the turnovers happen but they tried a few things that were different.

Wood - Tap work excellent but Derrickx definitely beat him around the ground and I thought Hampson probably did to.

Blair - Gone up a notch. Def start 22 player.

Krakouer - V slow to get the pace of it and despite his pace was caught out a few times. Got into the groove though and will play in the 22.

Tarrant - yeah I wasnt as rapt as others. Good but not playing on much and still did a few silly things. Still not sure where he fits in bc I would rather Brown.

Sinclair - anybody remember a certain G.Brown first game? I was a pup but a vivid recollection of it and this bloke reminded me of him. To much courage for his own good, has pace and whilst skills need some work is well worth tracking.

Bolton - I see what the hype is about. Kid goes well. Another who has certain Brown traits.

Thomas - Looks like he is going to have a break out year for mine.

Perham - Competes well and did some nice stuff but wont get a look in as long as Dawes and Cloke stay fit.

Keefe - I havent been a wrap for this kid but he showed some good cont marking last night and is someone who could play that 'sub' role behind Brown.

Hunter - I didnt think he did a heap.

Fasolo - yeah v good. looked a little nervous but hits the ball well and finds space which was one of his hallmarks as a junior. Kick penetration was v good.

Ugle - Nice goal but not a heap else. The one he missed would have been a ripper.

Dawes - A monster and will have a big year.

Steele - Wow. The kid has more improvement in him. He is just going to get smarter and smarter.

Beams - Worried he tapered towards end of last year. Played well but I think he could just dominate and I guess I have high expectations.

Brown - Thought he was good except for early skills errors.

Pendles - Class

YOung - found pace of game a notch up even from VFL. Got into it though and was ok.

Reid - controlled CHB and courage was great. As a junior I thought he lacked some ticker and its a credit to the guy he is now incredibly courageous.

Reed - Good but gee the kicking could have been better. Wants Caf spot and going to be hard. Might be a GWS boy me thinks.

Buckley - was good and ran hard etc but skills may not be up to the quality that you require from HB. Cant carry Tooves, Johno's, Buckley and Harry's kicking....dont get me wrong they are all ok but none are elite.

tooves - good but missing that goal was not a super look.

Have made it reasonably clear over the years that I dont rate Wood.....well tonight I thought he did very very well. Sure the oppo wasn't that flash, but he beat Jacobs a couple of times who aint a mug.

His ruckwork was quality.

Keep that up he could be a dominating VFL ruck and actually start to put pressure on Jolly to perform.

Macaffer is feckin clean.......the bloke is a lock for best 22.
Blair is Ball#2, he will also be in best 22.

I though Reed was ok, sure sprayed some shots....but found a fair bit of it.

Buckley was ordinary....fumbled too often, which stood out IMO.

Even guys like T.Young, Sinclair and Keefe showed a bit......play em all again next week.........no need to play Swan, Didak, T.Cloke, N.Brown, Maxwell etc

Although id love to see Leon roaming around the ground again.
He's playing for Adelaide now.

Not enough love for Toovey's game in this thread. It's amazing to see how much he's improved over the past couple of years.
It was a bit hard to say how he went because the ball wasn't in our defense much and I didn't think he did a whole lot when he was in the forward 50. Nothing against his game, just the games didn't involve him too much.

Things that stood out for me:

Team: Looks like we'll not only back up last year, but take it up another level or two. I thought we executed and played the game plan quiet well given the amount of kids in the line up. A lot of the new kids looked quiet natural playing in the team. I really liked that the 2nd tier guys look like they're going to step up this year and that the young'uns coming through are going to keep the pressure on. Amazing to think that despite all the experience that left the club last year we'll still have the depth that other clubs will envy.

Blair: Wow he's definitely kicked it up a gear. Some of his kicks were excellent. Really imposed himself on the game.

Dawes: No cloke, but he just took control and dominated. Looking forward to seeing him play this year. Looks big, strong, imposing. super confident and a leader in the forwards.

Wood: Tap ruck work was top notch. Another step in the right direction, now we need him to get the around the ground side up and going. Come on Cam!

Reid: Looks set to build on last year. I expect this year we'll see more composure from him due to greater confidence.

Sinclair: Kid is lightning fast! Like the look of him. He's lively with a competitors spirit

Keefe: Showed a strong set of hands with a couple of good grabs. Was good to see him play up forward and compete. Leigh Brown's understudy for sure.

The next wave of youth: Looks fast, competitive and capable of slotting in the 22. I think a few of them will be pressuring for spots this year and early on. I was impressed with the way they just slotted into the team quiet naturally. I must admit I surprised at how well Bolton and Perham played. It was an impressive showing by the group of guys not in the 22 and to think that it wasn't the guys that have been in our system a few years (Rounds or Macarthy).

I think the best thing about Blair is that he seems more confident and is willing to throw his body in even more than he did last year - winning a premiership must do wonders for the psyche! ;)

I've uploaded your game against us to youtube..

starts at 5minute mark of this video and follows in 4 other parts (last one still uploading)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ovYOjHR6E

[youtube]v7ovYOjHR6E[/youtube]

Awesome stuff, cheers mate :thumbsu:

Quick Question.

Leon was listed in the line-ups and set to play.
however saw no sign of him?
No mention of him either?

Answer here:

Actually, we named a 32 man squad on Thursday - Leon Davis, Trent Stubbs and Paul Seedsman were all named in that preliminary squad and didn't end up in the 29.

Darren Jolly was in the 29 man squad but didn't play.

Didn't think he was that bad, awesome tackle in first couple of mins his defensive side was first rate, could've had two easier shots on goal from two of his tackles..kicking? yea it was shit but had tight angle from 50m... Only other thing I thought was that he was prob pushed off the ball to easily in marking contests..but I may be biased as he's a good mate lol ohh and by the way being in the rooms after GF win last year was bloody fantastic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't think he was that bad, awesome tackle in first couple of mins his defensive side was first rate, could've had two easier shots on goal from two of his tackles..kicking? yea it was shit but had tight angle from 50m... Only other thing I thought was that he was prob pushed off the ball to easily in marking contests..but I may be biased as he's a good mate lol ohh and by the way being in the rooms after GF win last year was bloody fantastic

Talking about Reed?

Re: One year ago Re: NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Were we better placed this time last year after this game or now?
We were in a similar position, although we had played more senior players in the 1st round. We pretty much coasted along and rested players each round and took the Grand Final a little more seriously, although still the team didn't play full out and it was treated as a final practice game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back