Preview NAB Cup Round 1 Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home from the game, from the young guys I was very impressed with Bolton, he is gonna be a star and you can predict that now, fasalo is never gonna be amazing but he will be the consistant midfielder, I was also impressed with him. I was very disapointed with Reed and Buckley today. Who do we play in a fortnight now?

Replay of the Richmond game on Fox at the moment, might stay up and watch the Carlton match after it too, nothing like watching us beat Carlton, even if it is only the NAB Cup.

Great aperitif for the real stuff and a chance for us interstate nuffies to see some of the "talent" you Vic chaps are always raving about.

Keefe stood out-thought he did soem excellent things and took a couple of good marks.
Fasalo- Handy and got in amongst it no worries. Good hitout to take the edge off the nerves and self doubts.
Sinclair-Did some good things, tackled like he wanted to and did not look out of place.
Perham-Like.:thumbsu: Did not get a lot of it though.
Young-Ranga (every club has to have one, it's in the rules.), plays footy, looks promising. Bit nervy at times but settled.
Bolton-really liked what I saw, which was not enough really.
Ugle-As above and a nice goal.:thumbsu:

All in all the whole lot of our youngsters looked Collingwood material.
As a showcase for young players that format is very good I thought.
The last touch OOB free is simply moronic. Whoever even thought this was worth trialling needs a good kick in the arse. Straight out tinkering out of boredom now. If the rules committee are that bored it's time to replace them with some new blood with an interest in the game. (rant ends).

Sidey....:thumbsu::thumbsu:...love that boy. 22 is going on my jumper.
Dawes looks to be a man comfortable in his own skin now and when he stands next to Taz of "Guns of Navarone" fame you really get a good idea of how big Dawesy is..:eek:
Taz and Krak both looked a little out of sorts in a new side with new game plan and new team-mates. To be expected for mine.
Daisy looks ready even this early to last years improvement aside and make yet another quantum leap into true "eliteness". Awesome first game.
Blair has obviously been reading the "Bulked up Blair" thread, staking his claim for a spot in the 22 permanently.
Wood? Well actually I thought he did well. Some having a crack, but if he can get the hit outs to come, maybe he can then focus on getting more touches around the ground. Baby steps, but steps none the less.

Anvil. Looked like a man looking for something to hit and hit hard under instructions to take it easy. Eyes popping of the head early.:D

Everyone else played up to their general Nab Cup standard I thought.
Can't say I saw any player long enough to be critical.
Overall we kicked into the man a lot early, both from set kicks and in general play. Looked a little rusty and toward the end of the Cartoon match looked a bit tired and glad to here the siren.

Great to beat Carltoon any time of year.
Tiges did not excite much, but all 3 sides were experimental so it's hard to take much out of the results other than pleasure we won em'.

A win's a win.

Go Pies.:thumbsu:

Thought his rucking was good. Game still going on tv in Perth.
Blair, Reid, Keefe very good.
Thomas was superb in the first game

Thanks Lach, and thanks to all the other guys doing summaries.

I missed everything, flying back from Perth, so couldn't wait to log on when home and read the good news. :)

Have made it reasonably clear over the years that I dont rate Wood.....well tonight I thought he did very very well. Sure the oppo wasn't that flash, but he beat Jacobs a couple of times who aint a mug.

His ruckwork was quality.

Keep that up he could be a dominating VFL ruck and actually start to put pressure on Jolly to perform.

Macaffer is feckin clean.......the bloke is a lock for best 22.
Blair is Ball#2, he will also be in best 22.

I though Reed was ok, sure sprayed some shots....but found a fair bit of it.

Buckley was ordinary....fumbled too often, which stood out IMO.

Even guys like T.Young, Sinclair and Keefe showed a bit......play em all again next week.........no need to play Swan, Didak, T.Cloke, N.Brown, Maxwell etc

Although id love to see Leon roaming around the ground again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have made it reasonably clear over the years that I dont rate Wood.....well tonight I thought he did very very well. Sure the oppo wasn't that flash, but he beat Jacobs a couple of times who aint a mug.

His ruckwork was quality.

Keep that up he could be a dominating VFL ruck and actually start to put pressure on Jolly to perform.

I liked Wood's game too.

Isolated instance i know, but there was a contest 40 metres out from Carlton's goal where he went back with the flight, chest pointed towards the pack and eyes on the ball. Didn't take the grab but i liked the commitment. Also liked his second efforts, I got the impression that he gave a shit and wanted to be out there.

Given the fact that it was the first hit out of the year, I'm surprised by how many people are saying Buckley was ordinary. I actually thought he was pretty good. He's no fuss - he generally kicks it. I think he'll get a few games this year if we get a few injuries.

Given the fact that it was the first hit out of the year, I'm surprised by how many people are saying Buckley was ordinary. I actually thought he was pretty good. He's no fuss - he generally kicks it. I think he'll get a few games this year if we get a few injuries.

The bloke shat himself numerous times. If he wants to play anywhere near the backline this year, he needs to be a lot cleaner with his disposal.

He's no fuss - he generally kicks it. I think he'll get a few games this year if we get a few injuries.

That would be my biggest knock on Buckley! Too often he just gets the footy and his first instinct is to blaze away, which invariably leads to turnovers.

Also I could be wrong but according to an article earlier in the week in the hun, the winner of our group (us obviously) faces a wildcard team in round 2 rather than Melbourne.

Overall you can't learn much from that because it was such a bastardised version of the game, but a few of the youngsters did some nice things. Also it's good to get through to the next round and play on a good quality ground rather than the regional ones.

Melbourne.

SEN were saying that we are actually in a different pool. According to them we are meant to play the 1st wild card team, which is at this stage the Crows at etihad.

On the plus side because we beat Carlton by so little we've pretty much knocked them out of the comp :p

Replay on 10 here at the moment. Pies v Tiges just started.
great to watch, read others POV and then re-watch with this in mind in a single night.:thumbsu::thumbsu:
"I vill becum zee uber analist unt rool zee bordz viss zee ion fisst!!":D

It's so nice to rule the world again, halfway through last year you could still have argued Geelong and St Kilda were ahead of us after both beat us in the early rounds, but now we are the powerhouse everyone fears..

Life is good

I liked Wood's game too.

Isolated instance i know, but there was a contest 40 metres out from Carlton's goal where he went back with the flight, chest pointed towards the pack and eyes on the ball. Didn't take the grab but i liked the commitment. Also liked his second efforts, I got the impression that he gave a shit and wanted to be out there.

Been out so missed the games but this and the write ups on Bolton have me excited. And the fact we scraped through with no injuries :thumbsu:

Great aperitif for the real stuff and a chance for us interstate nuffies to see some of the "talent" you Vic chaps are always raving about.

Young-Ranga (every club has to have one, it's in the rules.), plays footy, looks promising. Bit nervy at times but settled.

Tom Young...do you have a ranga in first grade without him?

If not, then I agree that they should give him a game just on the ranga count alone.

Thought he was good and showed a bit playing on difficult opponents (including Betts), hopefully they give him a run with the Pies at least off the bench before round 5.

It was probably a bit harsh on Wood as he did do ok in the ruck. Agree with the rest. Thomas' tackling was first rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back