Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Was impressed by DBJ although HBFs are not in short supply. Agree with others that in one performance Dougie has caused Butcher's cards to be marked.

They may not be marked, but they've certainly been pulled out of the pack and laid on the table.
I think they're looking for the texta...

View attachment 218372

I didn't see the game but I assume Dougal received a free for this Tippet hold.
Nicholls was calling 90% of the frees so it's almost a guarantee that he didn't.

I did laugh when he was overruled for a deliberate call, it's a shame it doesn't happen when he stuffs us over during the season.

Nicholls was calling 90% of the frees so it's almost a guarantee that he didn't.

I did laugh when he was overruled for a deliberate call, it's a shame it doesn't happen when he stuffs us over during the season.
That was incredible. When he called it i just shook my head in disbelief, as did the commentators. Then when another ump came and overruled him it was probably the best moment of the game. Honestly, they should just get whoever is the nearest officiating umpire to Nicholls to make all his decisions for him.

I did not see all of the game but the best thing I saw was was Dougal Howard. He did enough to suggest there is potential and hopefully he will not go the way of Butcher, Shaw and Harvey. Howard appears to have good hands and can take a contested one grab mark.
As Frampton is out for a while and we need to use Lobbe sparingly we may see more of Dougal in the pre season.

Howard to me has gone past shaw and harvey

To say butcher is a real stretch and a half

In 6 years Butcher has quite literally gone nowhere. That is to say he has not improved at all in any way, shape or form. At what point do we stop offering excuses and ask the question "is this actually all he has?".
Howard on the other hand has shown the sort of improvement and development in just two pre-seasons everyone's been holding their breath and waiting for Butcher to show. He's more confident, clearly more teachable, more naturally talented and athletic, and much more versatile than Butcher. So yeah, right now, if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd personally be playing Howard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked the game of Dougal, Palmer has huge potential. Toumpas played better, neade improving. The chase, tackle and pressure was there that was the main thing.

And the AFL keep assigning us Mathew Nicholls, and Matthew Nicholls keeps ****ing us over. same old same old

This game is all about taking your chances and making the most of them. Butcher has largely squandered his while Howard continues to make the most of his. I think his efforts should be rewarded.

As John Butcher's buddy I am duty bound to warn you that you'll have egg on your face when Butcher comes good and proves the knockers wrong in 2016!

As someone who is a realist I suspect you're right. :(

#keepplayingbutcher

Of our new kids, I was really impressed by Will Snelling. Someone asked how he fell to the rookie list; I'd say the only reason is the apart-height that plagues recruiting in the AFL. Three extra inches and he'd have gone by the end of the second round, I think.

I wasn't so impressed with Riley Bonner as some. But it's game 1 and I'm sure he'll get there in time. Aiden Johnson looks wild and raw- a kid who won't make it until 2018 if he makes it at all, but in his quarter I thought I liked his enthusiasm.

I didn't see enough of Hewitt to make an impression, especially since it was in the rain.

This game is all about taking your chances and making the most of them. Butcher has largely squandered his while Howard continues to make the most of his. I think his efforts should be rewarded.

Howard's sample size is pretty small at the moment and we haven't seen how he would work in a team with Lobbe, so I think it's hard to judge him. I'm really keen to see how he goes over the next two games.

He's showing some promising signs but he's not playing Round 1 yet.

Howard's sample size is pretty small at the moment and we haven't seen how he would work in a team with Lobbe, so I think it's hard to judge him. I'm really keen to see how he goes over the next two games.

He's showing some promising signs but he's not playing Round 1 yet.

Not saying he'd play round 1, and with a presumably fit Dixon, Schulz, Lobbe and Westhoff that simply isn't going to happen. But if one of those 4 went down I'd play him. His ability to provide a chop out in ruck just increases his currency, and I'm guessing Ken has told him exactly that.

Last edited:
The only advantage Butcher has over him is a mature body but yea even that doesn't count for too much if you can't get near the fuggin' pill.

IMO it's a little difficult, to judge player performances in Cup games. Wait until the real stuff starts and we can see which players are up to it, for the whole season not just a few cup games. It is very pleasing to see our younger guys having a real go, especially Howard.

I loved Dougal's first half in the ruck but he offered little as a forward, which coincidentally was about the same as Butch.

Not saying he'd play round 1, and with a presumably fit Duxon, Schulz, Lobbe and Westhoff that simply isn't going to happen. But if one of those 4 went down I'd play him. His ability to provide a chop out in ruck just increases his currency, and I'm guessing Ken has told him exactly that.

Kiwi?! :p

I somewhat agree. If Lobbe/Westoff go down, it's Howard. If Dixon/Schulz go down, it's Butcher.

At the moment that is.

I loved Dougal's first half in the ruck but he offered little as a forward, which coincidentally was about the same as Butch.

I reckon the wind may have had something to do with it. It wasn't a day for big men- Buddy Franklin didn't do much either and Kurt Tippet was more influential as a ruckman then a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review NAB1: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back