Review National Draft 2010 and look ahead to Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to you also, I sometimes write some of my posts too quickly mate and when I read them back later wonder what the hell I was trying to say myself ;), so I dont recall thinking you felt none of them could make it, there has just been a fair bit written on this forum recently about where we are at with talls and its been mostly negative but thats why we get on to share views. I think we have a fair number of unproven talls on the list, so we agree. I am just of the opinion given their age we can still expect a percentage of them to make it given their limited experience so I am just in the camp that thinks we probably only needed to draft 1 or 2 more talls (including project player Bathie) and we still can via the rookie draft and I feel sure we have a couple in mind already similar to last season :thumbsu:

I agree also if we had a run of injuries like that we would probably be in a bit of strife but I suspect most sides probably would be. I hope when the younger guys do get their chance they are given the confidence of knowing they will be given every chance to prove themself.

We're cool mate. I took no offense from your response, and in actual fact, I can understand how you gained the impression that I was having a crack at the young blokes.

It's hard to read the intent and emotion behind cold, hard words on a computer screen so I too can learn to express myself better :)

Anyhow, we're having a good discussion here and I look forward to more of it.

Cheers :thumbsu:

Scott:

We did take four players that we think can genuinely play in the midfield in the national draft but Billie Smedts is 190cm, so we're really confident he'll be kind of the modern AFL player who can play in a variety of positions but clearly, if we could get a good key position player in the rookie draft that would work. Getting a good one's the hard part.

Mate, I was actually joking. I like sarcasm, it's my failing. Sorry if you took any offence.

Based on the stats you have shown me and the vision I have seen, I am really excited about Jenkins (he's as much the polar opposite of Blake as you can get, and I think that's awesome, and he could be a really good prospect). The rookie list is meant to be for punt types like him with massive upside, so he should definitely get a go. I agree with other posters who have said it's unlikely we would take him and Bathie (although I wouldn't rule it out) but he should get a spot somewhere.

By the way, where is Josh actually from? I didn't know he was local.

Ah he's been here and there really. Born and raised in Swan Hill but moved to Townsville to follow hoops. We all begged him to not quit footy but he loved bball and did well I suppose. He's lucky GWS and GC17 are coming in

He and Bathie have played against each other a lot so I hear. Bit of a worry with so many good rucks in State Leagues though

Ah he's been here and there really. Born and raised in Swan Hill but moved to Townsville to follow hoops. We all begged him to not quit footy but he loved bball and did well I suppose. He's lucky GWS and GC17 are coming in

He and Bathie have played against each other a lot so I hear. Bit of a worry with so many good rucks in State Leagues though

Was this at juniors then? Because Bathie hasn't been back in AUS til this year I think.

TBH you should tell your mate to stick at footy, not only are the new teams coming in, but with the game speeding up, and the new ruck interchange rule etc, athletic rucks like him who can cover the ground and also play forward, are the future. On the footage I saw (admittedly it's fraught with danger assessing a guy you've never seen play live) he has a massive vertical leap, his tap work is good, and he kicks and marks ok for someone who's not from a footy background, so there's a fair bit to work with. And obviously his athletic testing was fantastic.

Assuming he has a good attitude, if he doesn't get drafted it will only be because the recruiters are worried he looks better than he is because it's country footy he's playing in. Not the kid's fault of course, but if he was showing that sort of footage, and testing, while playing in a VFL team, he'd be an absolute shoo in to get drafted. That's why I said if he misses out in December you should tell him to find a club that has a VFL team, like ours, or a stand alone VFL team, get a few games there, and he'll surely get drafted next year.

LOL @ supporters who think they know better than experts...

Have loved the chuckles that some of the comments on here have given me post draft. To hear people criticising Stephen Wells - "Am so angry we didn't draft such and such instead of who we took"... seriously. some of you people need to realise there is a reason Wells is our recruiting manager, and you work at Big W. Unless you have watched hundreds of TAC, school and country games, disected re watched, and proven that you know a thing or 3 about footy, then pull your heads in... That is all.

This talk about no talls is weird to me.

Backline:

Scarlett - doesnt play tall any more.
Milburn - doesnt play tall any more.

I have to ask this, who says Scarlett doesn't play tall any more? Just because our scumbag traitor of an ex-coach lost his brain last season and started leaving Scarlett on a half back flank doesn't mean he can't play full back anymore. Watch the final against St.Kilda, and pay particular attention to who obliterated Kosi after quarter time. He's one veteran who should be playing, because he is still best choice for the job.

Milburn has never been a tall defender. Is and always was a half back flanker. He could do a job from time to time on a taller player, but was never a key defender.
[/QUOTE]

Re: LOL @ supporters who think they know better than experts...

most people seem to be quite reasonable. even those who were adamant that we needed to go tall have been quite complimentary towards our selections, which is quite a surprise considering our last two selections were complete 'roughies'.

added to that, Wells and Balme admitted in their post draft interviews that they would've liked to have picked up a tall, but selections just fell a different way, so it's not like these 'armchair whingers' were that far off the mark anyway.

third lastly, this is a football forum during the off-season; people offering up different/ crazy/ possibly insightful comments is what keeps this place interesting.

second lastly, Pick 7 Geelong: "Kane Tenace".

lastly, i work at IGA.

such a bad thread, why does this even need its own thread

ugh

because flogs (probably like you) have crapped on about how we have made a mistake choosing the players we did. Fact is, just cos you subscribe to inside footy an have foxtel doesn't mean you know what you're on about. Wells and co have forgotten more about footy than people like you will ever know.

Quick somebody shut down bigfooty these guys don't know what they're talking about

When it comes to thinking the coach has things wrong re selection or even game plan, fair enough. But when we are talking about drafting, when you have Stephen Wells' record, and none of us are at every TAC cup game, watching the ones we miss on dvd, travelling to adelaide, wa, darwin etc all year. When all they are going on is that filth show that Hutchinson does on a Sunday arvo and a little bit of Emma Quayle's reporting, well that i find funny and ******ed all at once.

Scarlett can and should certainly always play fullback, I agree. Stating the obvious I know though, but the future of our tall stocks is not Scarlett, Milburn Ottens and Mooney because they'll all be gone very soon...we a) need to draft some more, and we also need to see some of our existing young talls come on this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant believe people are agonising over the Pies Saints game. Collingwood are poop and will get flogged. They haven't provided any of the top sides with a challenge for bout 3 years. Far out people let the HUN dictate their opinions...

Collingwood vs. St Kilda – Round 16 Match Review

Collingwood – 15.10 (100)
St Kilda – 6.16 (52)
The Collingwood Football Club has climbed to the top of the AFL ladder after a convincing 48 point win over St Kilda at the MCG on Saturday afternoon.
The Saints got the early started and kicked a goal in the first 2 minutes of the opening quarter, but from then on the Pies kicked 7 of the next 9 goals to lead by 26 points at the main break and never looked back.
They kicked 8 of the last 11 goals of the match to assert their dominance leaving the Saints shell shocked.

Opinions are like aresholes.

Lol, your seriously bothered enough about the generally respectful discussion about our drafting to make a thread?

Wells does know best, and obviously better than any of those posters, but that doesn't deny those posters to state their opinions.... and discuss them, god forbid on a discussion board.

Provisional order for the rookie draft (I got this from the drafts and trading board so it's not official, but it looks fairly accurate to me):

Rookie Draft

1 GWS
2 GWS
3 GWS
4 GWS
5 GWS
6 GWS
7 GWS
8 GWS
9 Gold Coast
10 West Coast
11 Richmond
12 Essendon
13 Brisbane
14 Melbourne
15 Adelaide
16 Port Adelaide
17 North Melbourne
18 Carlton
19 Hawthorn
20 Fremantle
21 Sydney
22 Western Bulldogs
23 Geelong
24 St Kilda
25 Collingwood
26 Gold Coast
27 West Coast
28 Richmond
29 Essendon
30 Brisbane
31 Melbourne
32 Adelaide
33 Port Adelaide
34 North Melbourne
35 Carlton
36 Hawthorn
37 Fremantle
38 Sydney
39 Western Bulldogs
40 Geelong
41 St Kilda
42 Collingwood
43 Gold Coast
44 West Coast
45 Richmond
46 Essendon
47 Brisbane
48 Melbourne
49 Adelaide
50 Port Adelaide
51 Carlton
52 Hawthorn
53 Fremantle
54 Sydney
55 Western Bulldogs
56 Geelong
57 St Kilda
58 Collingwood
59 Gold Coast
60 Richmond
61 Essendon
62 Brisbane
63 Melbourne
64 Adelaide
65 Port Adelaide
66 Carlton
67 Hawthorn
68 Fremantle
69 Sydney
70 Western Bulldogs
71 St Kilda
72 Collingwood
73 Gold Coast
74 Richmond
75 Brisbane
76 Melbourne
77 Adelaide
78 Port Adelaide
79 Carlton
80 Hawthorn
81 Sydney
82 Gold Coast
83 Brisbane
84 Melbourne
85 Sydney
86 Gold Coast
87 Brisbane
88 Sydney
89 Gold Coast
90 Gold Coast

I have to ask this, who says Scarlett doesn't play tall any more? Just because our scumbag traitor of an ex-coach lost his brain last season and started leaving Scarlett on a half back flank doesn't mean he can't play full back anymore. Watch the final against St.Kilda, and pay particular attention to who obliterated Kosi after quarter time. He's one veteran who should be playing, because he is still best choice for the job.

Milburn has never been a tall defender. Is and always was a half back flanker. He could do a job from time to time on a taller player, but was never a key defender.
[/quote]

I never said he couldnt play tall, just that he hasnt the last couple of years and we have used others to play as the tall defenders.

Any idea on who we may be looking at?

I remember hearing someone mention Walker..
I can't see him getting to pick 23.
Would be a good pick up for us.

Well obviously rhese players are going to be long-term as in our last two drafts only Duncan has played 8 games which is the most...so they most likely won't be playing a lot of sneior footy next year...too early too judge I suspect we'll wait in a few years time.
For the rookie maybe look at Tom Gordan or Corey Buchan and Brad Harvey.

When it comes to thinking the coach has things wrong re selection or even game plan, fair enough. But when we are talking about drafting, when you have Stephen Wells' record, and none of us are at every TAC cup game, watching the ones we miss on dvd, travelling to adelaide, wa, darwin etc all year. When all they are going on is that filth show that Hutchinson does on a Sunday arvo and a little bit of Emma Quayle's reporting, well that i find funny and ******ed all at once.

You laugh at ******ed people?

Any idea on who we may be looking at?

I remember hearing someone mention Walker..
I can't see him getting to pick 23.
Would be a good pick up for us.

No real insights given we haven't got anyone training with us (although that's probably just because we don't want to tip off other clubs as to who we are interested in). I just hope that at least one of the players we would have been likely to pick up with our extra pick if Milburn had retired (whoever those players would have been likely to be) will fall through to 23.

Walker would be in the mix though you would think.

It will be interesting to see who we pick, obviously we need talls, but our picks are late, so it depends who is available then.

We also want to target youth, however we really need to find another one or two rookies who are a realistic chance of earning elevation in 12 months time, so we don't want too many skinny project players.

I am hoping (admitted personal bias here) that we are looking at nabbing Buco so long as his attitude is right, which of course Scott would be in a better place than anyone to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review National Draft 2010 and look ahead to Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back