National Draft - Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

dima17

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
the way i understand it, luke ball is able to nominate for the national draft which would mean that if he gets through to pick 30, we can pick him up for nothing.

i'm pretty peeved that we didnt get him and i dont understand stkilda's logic. they could have had something (all be it pick 30) for ball, yet now they will get nothing for him. d**kheads if you ask me.

the biggest threat in the national draft would be melbourne, but i cant for the life of me see them using a first or second round pick for him (as the first 20 kids would be half decent and then it would taper away).

what is the likelyhood that this may happen?

would we ask ball to nominate for the draft, and do youthink if he does someone else will pick him up??

I don't think Ball wants to go to Melbourne. As a player who just played in the grand final, would you want to then go to a team at the bottom on the ladder still trying to find its feet (which will probably take at least 3 more years) ?

I don't know whats going to happen with ball, and to be honest, I'm not too phased anymore. I feel sorry for him and angry at Ross Lyon, but these things are our of our control.

Life goes on for us, for him it's going to be a rough few months. Pretty disappointed nothing came to fruition, but hey, it's Collingwood, what else would you expect?

i cant see melbourne using pick 18 for luke ball, if they were that keen why wouldnt they just try a trade. i think melbourne are hoping for him to nominate for the psd.

If Ball really only wants to come to Collingwood then it can happen. However, I suspect he would have lost faith in Collingwood's ability to get the job done.

Football clubs are run as business's now days, so if Ball walks into an "interview" with say Melbourne, sits down and says "I do not want to play for this club, I cannot guarantee my 100% commitment to you, Collingwood is the place for me" then no employer in their right mind would pick him.

I don't think that is a likely scenario, but if he is sure he wants Collingwood then he can get here.

A player has to agree to a trade, hence why Melbourne may not have traded for Ball when he said that we were his preferred club. They also would have known that they stood a good chance of getting him free, if a deal couldn't be reached today.

Secondly, yes, players need to be delisted to enter the ND, so that would be up to the Saints presumably.

Thirdly, yes, the Saints withdrew their earlier contract offer. Not surprising as it would have to be renegotiated with Lovett, Peake etc. now to go under the salary cap.

The problem is if he goes into the ND he could end up anywhere, feel sorry for him the club hasn't done the right thing by Ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he accepts Melbourne's offer, he would just nominate for the Pre Season Draft, and would skip the National Draft, as he is entitled to do so.

That is probably the most likely scenario.

Sucks to be Luke Ball right now, left a club in their premiership window to go to another top 4 club, the deal fell through, and now he will most likely end up at a club who is at least 5 years off a genuine premiership tilt.

Feel a bit sorry for him, limited free agency would have solved this problem.

If Ball really only wants to come to Collingwood then it can happen. However, I suspect he would have lost faith in Collingwood's ability to get the job done.

Football clubs are run as business's now days, so if Ball walks into an "interview" with say Melbourne, sits down and says "I do not want to play for this club, I cannot guarantee my 100% commitment to you, Collingwood is the place for me" then no employer in their right mind would pick him.

I don't think that is a likely scenario, but if he is sure he wants Collingwood then he can get here.

This is our only real chance to be honest.

It would firstly need some serious work by the Pies management to convince Ball to do this and secondly we would need to be careful as otherwise this would be seen as draft tampering

This is our only real chance to be honest.

It would firstly need some serious work by the Pies management to convince Ball to do this and secondly we would need to be careful as otherwise this would be seen as draft tampering

It can't really be "tampering" by the very definition of the word, if he is being honest and tells the clubs exactly how he feels and his reasons for wanting Collingwood then he hasn't really done anything wrong.

He wouldn't be saying "i'm not going to play if you draft me" he is saying, if you draft me fine, but I wont be happy and im not sure I can commit 100%, plus when my contract expires I will look for another trade.

Yes, it's ridiculous and wont happen, but if he really wanted it to it could.

Picks #25 + #62. Or Goldsack + #30, or Wellingham + #30.

That means we probably would have offered picks 25 and 30 too, as we were going to use Wellingham to get pick 25 from North.

That means we probably would have offered picks 25 and 30 too, as we were going to use Wellingham to get pick 25 from North.
We never had both #25 and #30 as a possibility. One of those players would have been packaged with #30 to gain #25, then we no longer would have had #30.

Our second best option is for him to go to Melbourne. Seeing St. Kilda get nothing for him would be nice.

Pathetic football club in every aspect.

It will come around. Doubt we'll deal any players to St. Kilda if they wanted to be.

I just posted this in the 'Collingwood miss out on Ball' thread in the Drafts and Trading board, but it's relevant here too - couldn't it just be as simple as all this?:

- Luke Ball's current contract with St Kilda expires on October 31, effectively making him a 'free agent' without a club who still has to go through the draft process.
- After October 31, Luke Ball makes an official statement through the media that he "only wants to play for Collingwood in 2010" and that he "rufuses to deal with any other club and/or play for any other club in 2010", thereby warning off other clubs from picking him in either the National Draft or Pre-Season Draft.
- Collingwood then expresses official interest in Ball after he has made this statement (and after his St Kilda contract has officially expired), so as not to have dirt-diggers accusing them of publically 'tampering with the draft' or anything silly like that. They would have obviously come to a good-faith agreement with Ball that they would indeed draft him (given the chance) prior to this (similar to what happened with Ben Cousins and Richmond last year), as I imagine they are allowed to do with any other eligible draftee.
- On November 26, other AFL clubs heed Ball's words that he'll refuse to play for them if they select him, and (just as other clubs conceeded and agreed to leave Ben Cousins for Richmond last year) Collingwood then use pick #30 in the National Draft to secure Luke Ball's services.

Can anyone pick any flaws/incorrectness/impossibilities/variables with that scenario?

Can anyone pick any flaws/incorrectness/impossibilities/variables with that scenario?

Under the rules, you can't officially say you will only go to one club, you just aren't allowed to do that.

I think it is part of the draft tampering rules.

All Ball and his management can do is put a price on his head, but they are not allowed to nominate a club after the trade period has ended.

the way i understand it, luke ball is able to nominate for the national draft which would mean that if he gets through to pick 30, we can pick him up for nothing.

i'm pretty peeved that we didnt get him and i dont understand stkilda's logic. they could have had something (all be it pick 30) for ball, yet now they will get nothing for him. d**kheads if you ask me.

the biggest threat in the national draft would be melbourne, but i cant for the life of me see them using a first or second round pick for him (as the first 20 kids would be half decent and then it would taper away).

what is the likelyhood that this may happen?

would we ask ball to nominate for the draft, and do youthink if he does someone else will pick him up??

This is incorrect dima...

The National Draft and the Pre Season draft are too totally different things.

Yes Melbourne have the 1st pick in the pre season draft in which they may use to draft Ball BUT he will put a price on his head (he can nominate $1mil if so wishes) the team that picks him up MUST agree to pay what is on his head.

Our only hope is that Ball puts $700,000 on his head and the dees might pass as they wont want to pay that much.

Our problem is.... the dees have plenty of money and can fit that in the cap with ease. I am fuming at Collingwood and St.Kilda for not coming to an agreement. He will Captain Melbourne i reckon... they'll do a Carlton/Judd thing and offer him the captanicy i can see it!!

BIG miss pies!!! :-(
Not happy Jan!!!

Under the rules, you can't officially say you will only go to one club, you just aren't allowed to do that.

I think it is part of the draft tampering rules.

All Ball and his management can do is put a price on his head, but they are not allowed to nominate a club after the trade period has ended.

Didnt fraser gehrig state after he retired that he would only go st kilda and it would be silly for any other club to pick him up back when he was thinking about a come back

Remove this Banner Ad

National Draft - Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back