National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree with all the above regarding the need for small forwards/pacy midfielders.

Pick 10 will obviously be the best player available (no matter the size). If Ebert falls to 10, then grab him coz' he's the one true SA gun going around.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty certain the AFC are a little gun-shy with respects to using early picks for big guys, and we will almost definitely pick up a utility at no.10.

With our other 4 picks, I'd like to see us go for 3 mids and 1 more tall.

Wouldn't be against picking up 2 talls, though.

Yeah I agree with all the above regarding the need for small forwards/pacy midfielders.

Pick 10 will obviously be the best player available (no matter the size). If Ebert falls to 10, then grab him coz' he's the one true SA gun going around.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty certain the AFC are a little gun-shy with respects to using early picks for big guys, and we will almost definitely pick up a utility at no.10.

With our other 4 picks, I'd like to see us go for 3 mids and 1 more tall.

Wouldn't be against picking up 2 talls, though.
Utilities are a waste at pick 10. I think we will go for a midfielder and I am hopeful it will be Ebert.

We should be spreading propaganda about Ebert being a huge family man and not wanting to leave the state. Could be seen as a risk to interstate clubs?

Utilities are a waste at pick 10. I think we will go for a midfielder and I am hopeful it will be Ebert.

We should be spreading propaganda about Ebert being a huge family man and not wanting to leave the state. Could be seen as a risk to interstate clubs?

By utility, I meant not a key position player. Therefore, midfielder or general forward or general defender.

I would really like to see the Crows pick up a first round player with a really good attitude for once with their first round picks, someone like a van Berlo, Knights, Douglas and Maric, blokes who have come from interstate and really valued the opportunity they've been given.

Too often I think with our first pick our recruitment team get over-awed with all the talent on offer and then go for talent over perhaps attitude and a players likeliness to adjust well to AFL football, especially with a move interstate as unless Ebert falls through our first pick will be an interstater. I'm speaking of blokes like Angwin, Watts, Meesen, Pfeiffer and to a degree Reilly, but he has gotten over it.

I'm not sure about the attitudes going round with all the top prospect players, but I would prefer the crows pick up someone with a great attitude and little risk of going home, than a player who maybe a slightly better player.

I hope our strategy in drafting changes a little bit this year. I for one don't want to see us draft a tall with our first pick. No tall defender, tall forward, ruckman or utilities. The strike rate with those types in that pick range is not great. Go for a midfielder please! We can't afford to **** this one up!

I would really like to see the Crows pick up a first round player with a really good attitude for once with their first round picks, someone like a van Berlo, Knights, Douglas and Maric, blokes who have come from interstate and really valued the opportunity they've been given.

Too often I think with our first pick our recruitment team get over-awed with all the talent on offer and then go for talent over perhaps attitude and a players likeliness to adjust well to AFL football, especially with a move interstate as unless Ebert falls through our first pick will be an interstater. I'm speaking of blokes like Angwin, Watts, Meesen, Pfeiffer and to a degree Reilly, but he has gotten over it.

I'm not sure about the attitudes going round with all the top prospect players, but I would prefer the crows pick up someone with a great attitude and little risk of going home, than a player who maybe a slightly better player.

Little harsh on Reilly mate. From all that I've read he's proven to be a quality bloke.

Fremantle announced changes to their 2008 playing list on Monday afternoon with five senior-listed players and two rookies delisted.

After 151 games in ten years, utility James Walker was cut, while seasoned campaigner Robert Haddrill was also axed after 58 matches in six years at Fremantle.

Inexperienced trio Ryley Dunn, Calib Mourish and Clayton Collard were also cut from the main squad, while rookies Darren Rumble and Benet Copping were not offered contract extensions.

The Dockers specifically thanked Walker and Haddrill for their services to the club in a statement released on Monday.

------
They will have to pay out Collard and Mourish as they were contracted for 2 years.

:confused: making a statement at Freo

If we're looking for a crumbing forward ...would we have any interest in Collard

Very highly rated at last years National Draft ......top 10 prediction in a strong draft ......is it an attitude or application problem with him that sees him delisted within 12 months??

Little harsh on Reilly mate. From all that I've read he's proven to be a quality bloke.

He has now, yes, but he struggled to begin with and was extremely close to going home by all reports, I wasn't doubting that he was a top bloke, just that maturity wise he may not have been ready for the move interstate, hence his slow development, although he's not alone with the slow development part at the crows.

:confused: making a statement at Freo

If we're looking for a crumbing forward ...would we have any interest in Collard

Very highly rated at last years National Draft ......top 10 prediction in a strong draft ......is it an attitude or application problem with him that sees him delisted within 12 months??

You'd imagine both. Was terrible in his debut. But he does come with giant wraps, maybe rookie draft?

i believe that 5AA had an interview with JR/Rendell? today re the draft

- can anyone tell me if i can hear a transcript of it somewhere please?

i believe that 5AA had an interview with JR/Rendell? today re the draft

- can anyone tell me if i can hear a transcript of it somewhere please?

It was a bit of a stuff-up really.

Rendell was supposed to be on, but his mobile could not be contacted, so John Reid filled in.

Overall Reidy was very guarded - as he should be - about Adelaide's intentions.

When asked what our priorities were, he kept it very general with motherhood statements such as best available but did expand that to mid-fielders who can also play HF or HB and key forwards.

He was asked if he thought we had a chance of getting Brad Ebert with pick 10, he thought we did, but that would depend on how the draft went. The one thing he was positive about was that we would get a very good player at 10 and good players with our next 3 picks.

He said it is always hard with your first pick if you are tossing up between a KPP and a mid-fielder due to the extreme difference in them and they then have to go by their rating system of each player. He did confirm that Fantasia wanted us to take Kane Cornes in his year but that Adolph Ayres over-ruled and took Angwin because he wanted a ruckman.

He stated clearly that Brant Chambers would not be in their thinking, nor would Krakoeur, although they were interested in the lad from the Eagles, Nick Salter as would other clubs be.

We do have an interest in Bradley, but only at the right draft pick which is not too early. When asked why either we or Freo didn't trade for him, Reidy said it was because Essendon were being silly about it by insisting on a first round draft pick - and then ended up delisting him for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When asked what our priorities were, he kept it very general with motherhood statements such as best available but did expand that to mid-fielders who can also play HF or HB and key forwards.
Hooray! A few of my favourite players in this draft fit that description. :D

I just read the draft profiles on Vez in the D & T Board. Keen as for us to draft him if thats all true.

My preferences would be Ebo > Rioli > Vez

Someone said "Luke Hodge Clone":eek::eek::eek::thumbsu:

Oddly I'm going in the other direction with Vesz. The day I changed my avatar to him was a day he did kick eight goals off about 50% game time so I was understandably girlishly excited over his prospects.

I'm starting to question myself whether or not he's worth Pick 10. It'll depend on the day I guess. My first priority is Ebert, but I don't think he'll be there. At this stage, unless there's another slider I would still prefer Veszpremi over Rioli, but there's also a great crop of WA kids who I have only seen a couple of times that sound like good prospects. I just haven't seen enough of them to really know the ins and outs of them all.

I'm still strongly of the opinion that there's a pretty distinct Top 7 or 8 picks and then there's a group of about 15 to 20 players you could throw a blanket over, so a guy that I rate around 10-12 might easily go 25 and a guy I rate 25 might easily be who we get with Pick 10. It's pretty even (and not too bad a standard at all) from roughly Pick 10-30, which holds us and West Coast in pretty good stead. :)

It was a bit of a stuff-up really.

Rendell was supposed to be on, but his mobile could not be contacted, so John Reid filled in.

Overall Reidy was very guarded - as he should be - about Adelaide's intentions.

He was asked if he thought we had a chance of getting Brad Ebert with pick 10, he thought we did, but that would depend on how the draft went. The one thing he was positive about was that we would get a very good player at 10 and good players with our next 3 picks.

He said it is always hard with your first pick if you are tossing up between a KPP and a mid-fielder due to the extreme difference in them and they then have to go by their rating system of each player. He did confirm that Fantasia wanted us to take Kane Cornes in his year but that Adolph Ayres over-ruled and took Angwin because he wanted a ruckman.

He stated clearly that Brant Chambers would not be in their thinking, nor would Krakoeur, although they were interested in the lad from the Eagles, Nick Salter as would other clubs be.

We do have an interest in Bradley, but only at the right draft pick which is not too early. When asked why either we or Freo didn't trade for him, Reidy said it was because Essendon were being silly about it by insisting on a first round draft pick - and then ended up delisting him for nothing.
Thanks champ! :thumbsu:

How stupid are Essendon! Better off getting something than nothing like we did for Meesen.

Whilst we should go after the best available talent, we should be leaning towards a midfielder.

Oddly I'm going in the other direction with Vesz. The day I changed my avatar to him was a day he did kick eight goals off about 50% game time so I was understandably girlishly excited over his prospects.

I'm starting to question myself whether or not he's worth Pick 10. It'll depend on the day I guess. My first priority is Ebert, but I don't think he'll be there. At this stage, unless there's another slider I would still prefer Veszpremi over Rioli, but there's also a great crop of WA kids who I have only seen a couple of times that sound like good prospects. I just haven't seen enough of them to really know the ins and outs of them all.

Rioli was a div 2 player at the champs hey? Was Veszpremi div 1 or 2?

How stupid are Essendon! Better off getting something than nothing like we did for Meesen.

Thats right. Thats why I laugh at our supporters who say we got ripped off with Hudson, Meesen and Mattner. I bet we pick up at least 1 maybe 2 gems with those picks. If they left for nothing that would of been disastrous.

Sucked in to Essendon. Sorry, but if you're going to play those stupid games, then you deserve everything that is coming to you.

Crazy stuff.

Rioli was a div 2 player at the champs hey? Was Veszpremi div 1 or 2?
Yes. Div 2 is always NT, NSW, QLD and TAS.

Veszpremi didn't play Championships this year because he had a broken thumb, but he played for Vic Metro last year and was named All Australian as a bottom ager.

Veszpremi will need a much bigger tank to play in the midfield. Needs to work on aerobic capacity HEAPS and it'd take a few years before he will have a big enough tank to play there. It seems we are looking for that utlity type player again. What a suprise.... we love them. I really hope we use our first pick for a genuine midfielder- not a jack of all trades type of guy where he can fill all the roles on the ground, is athletic but doesn't have the class, poise to play in the midfield. We need a good footy brain in the somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back