News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

More on Davis:

LEON Davis has revealed he quit Collingwood for family reasons as the Magpies concede they are resigned to losing the dual All-Australian defender.

Davis was reportedly unhappy with the new deal being offered to him by the 2011 runners-up, but broke his silence to say that his family connections to Western Australia and South Australia were the biggest part of his decision not to return to the Westpac Centre.

The 30-year-old said he had not ruled out a return to AFL football in either Perth or Adelaide next year, despite little or no interest from Fremantle and West Coast.

"This is not about Collingwood," Davis said. "I love Collingwood. I have given my all for 11 years and they have been great to me.

"But I have made a lot of family sacrifices along the way and now is the time to put them first. My family is in Western Australia and my partner's in South Australia.

"I want to live in either city (Perth or Adelaide) and I feel I still have great footy to contribute. If it's at AFL or the next level down is beyond my control, but I will give my all to my family and next football club in an environment that suits."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r-family-reasons/story-e6frf9jf-1226180378735

At last! Can't have been that painful. Will miss watching him play.

So, here's hoping Caff stays.

Collingwood football manager Geoff Walsh confirmed that the club had all but given up trying to convince the veteran to play on in 2012 under new coach Nathan Buckley.
"The status hasn't changed," Walsh said.
"We have spoken to his management regularly, but we still can't get to Leon.

So Leon is gone - ok, but he still hasn't spoken to the club! Poor form.

The fact that Leon will pickup the phone when Hutchy calls (who is a close mate of Pickering's & who we went to NY with) but not when Walshe/Buckley from the club that made him, shows how highly he thinks of this football club.

The fact that Leon will pickup the phone when Hutchy calls (who is a close mate of Pickering's & who we went to NY with) but not when Walshe/Buckley from the club that made him, shows how highly he thinks of this football club.
But isn't that why you employ a Manager, reminds me of that line "why have a dog and do all the barking yourself"

Managers negotiate, Players interview.

What a disappointing way for Leon to end his career. If it really was a family decision why didn't he do a press release stating his reasons for leaving. The club and supporters would have wished him well in SA or WA and he would go down in history as a favourite son.

Right now it feels like he has left the club on bad terms.

And as for Liam Pickering,don't get me started. A scheming slimy bloke who I wouldn't trust with my spare change. As he was maturing into the man he is, his job options became Real estate agent, used car salesman or player agent.

As someone said earlier in this thread, we must now cut all ties with Bryan Taylor as well.

Over the past few years we have employed him to speak at several functions, but the way he has acted in this case, shouting that Leon left for money, has to end any association with have with him.

As for Leon, most of us thought it was more of a location issue then a money issue, and to have it confirmed by Leon makes the pain of losing him a little bit less.

Looks like he's left with only one option too, with Adelaide the only AFL club in SA or WA to show any interest in him at all.

Hmm, Adelaide, yeah, I can put up with him there, they aren't a premiership threat, and we only play them once in 2012.

Best of luck Leon, we still love ya.:)

Pretty sure the bad taste will settle out pretty quickly.

Leon was a bonus player, we don't really need him our backline is strong enough. MM ended up creating a position for him to keep him playing and although it worked well for him personally we really needed him as a forward. I feel the flow on effect of Leon going down back forced players like Steele to spend too much time as a forward to cover, and it made players like Harry less attacking as so much ball was coming out through Leon and that can have negative effects on all parts of their games.

don't know why he didn't tell us he was going, don't know why the club didn't offer him the deal before trade week, this should've been sorted weeks ago, I'm starting to lose faith in who ever handles our contracts, we lost Jack last year for nothing, almost lost Toovs this year and now we're losing Leon, for nothing, poor form alround.

don't know why he didn't tell us he was going, don't know why the club didn't offer him the deal before trade week, this should've been sorted weeks ago, I'm starting to lose faith in who ever handles our contracts, we lost Jack last year for nothing, almost lost Toovs this year and now we're losing Leon, for nothing, poor form alround.

He didnt know he was getting a $100,000 pay cut thats why he is leaving. The reason of being closer to family is just an excuse. Once the offer was put on the table he suddenly wanted to go home.

Agree with losing players for nothing part - dissapointing. Its like we leave our negotiations to the last second and if a deal cannot be reached the player walks.

Pickering said before trade week & during the finals that the club had put a good offer to Leon. He also said before the WC game, he was as good as signed. It isn't a case of the club leaving the contract offer to the last minute.

Pickering said before trade week & during the finals that the club had put a good offer to Leon. He also said before the WC game, he was as good as signed. It isn't a case of the club leaving the contract offer to the last minute.

Okay maybe I should have said not leaving it until the last minute to sign players. If the deal was acceptable then get it signed with some sort of clause of if we win the granny Leon can go home, if not he stays and commits to 2012.

Losing Anthony for nothing was bad (even though his form has been crap) but to lose an AA for nothing is a terrible outcome for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was working a job at which I had just done particularly well after 11 years service and was made to take a 25% pay cut, I would do exactly what Davis has done. Why should he accept the cut when others are obviously gettting significant pay rises?

Because he owed us a decent year after a shocking 2010?

Bad argument - I know. Sometimes I think I forget the players don't love the club with the same passion as we do. For us, it's a way of life, for them it's a place of work.

Because he owed us a decent year after a shocking 2010?

Bad argument - I know. Sometimes I think I forget the players don't love the club with the same passion as we do. For us, it's a way of life, for them it's a place of work.
I'm not sure he 'owed' us anything.

He completed his contract, a contract both he and the club agreed to.
After that everything is up for re-negotiation. The club wanted him to take a cut, he didn't. They couldn't agree so each party went their own way.
It happens everyday in every industry.

I'm not sure he 'owed' us anything.

He completed his contract, a contract both he and the club agreed to.
After that everything is up for re-negotiation. The club wanted him to take a cut, he didn't. They couldn't agree so each party went their own way.
It happens everyday in every industry.

Yes agree. I just wish that Leon would talk to Walsh/Bucks & not leave them hanging 24 hours prior to 1st list lodgement (he owes the club a phone call in my opinion). I don't understand why he will not speak to them? A little repsct plse.

just pick up the phone leon, if u want to go fair enough but the way u r going about it is burning bridges champ. always be one of my favs but totally disagree with the way u r handling this.
toovey and his management hav set the precedent here and i can only imagine the trouble we r going to b in this time nxt year when our good YOUNG players r up for renewals.
will definately lose a gun nxt year

we need to make a new club rule, any contract that's up for renewal needs to be signed 1 week before trade week, if it isn't signed the player will be traded and if there's no takers the player will be delisted, ****ing sick of players/managers holding us over a barrel knowing they have more leverage during/after trade week.

Yes agree. I just wish that Leon would talk to Walsh/Bucks & not leave them hanging 24 hours prior to 1st list lodgement (he owes the club a phone call in my opinion). I don't understand why he will not speak to them? A little repsct plse.
As I said earlier, Leon employs a Manager to do all that, just like every other player.
If the Club want to talk to Leon, all they have to do is ring Pickering.

Lets be really honest about this; Clubs negotiate through a players Manager all the time.
As an example the Club didn't speak directly to Toovey, they negotiated through his Manager as they do with all our players, so what's the difference this time?
Well, the difference is, the Club didn't like Leon's decision and so they now want to talk to him directly to "get this sorted out".

Not sure you can have it both ways.

just pick up the phone leon, if u want to go fair enough but the way u r going about it is burning bridges champ. always be one of my favs but totally disagree with the way u r handling this.
toovey and his management hav set the precedent here and i can only imagine the trouble we r going to b in this time nxt year when our good YOUNG players r up for renewals.
will definately lose a gun nxt year
Agree 100% about Toovey and his management.:thumbsdown:

"We know where his phone is and we know where he is, but communication is a two-way street"

Above quote from Walsh (HS).
Leon will not take club calls. Why not? Yes he has a manager & the club has been told of Leon's position (by manager), he is still an employee until 2pm tomorrow...what harm in answering his phone?.
Leon refusing to even say goodbye & or thanks to Walsh - total disrespect to the CFC & what was a great partnership for 12 years.
Walsh/Bucks just want to talk to him, here it from him....but he is acting like a petulant schoolgirl.
I love Leon & what he did for CFC over the years....just don't leve it hanging like this.
Leon ......... answer your phone.

"We know where his phone is and we know where he is, but communication is a two-way street"

Above quote from Walsh (HS).
Leon will not take club calls. Why not? Yes he has a manager & the club has been told of Leon's position (by manager), he is still an employee until 2pm tomorrow...what harm in answering his phone?.
Leon refusing to even say goodbye & or thanks to Walsh - total disrespect to the CFC & what was a great partnership for 12 years.
Walsh/Bucks just want to talk to him, here it from him....but he is acting like a petulant schoolgirl.
I love Leon & what he did for CFC over the years....just don't leve it hanging like this.
Leon ......... answer your phone.

Agree, very unprofessional from Leon.

He got paid overs when he signed after his AA year last contract. Only this year did he play well enough for it. The club has still offered him a decent contract too from the rumours going around. Homesickness is his problem.

I don't mind too much if he goes to another club, we wouldn't have gotten much in a trade for him based on his age. We were also half expecting him to retire as well. The only way this will turn out badly for us is if we play his team in the finals and they beat us.

It is a little annoying he left it so late however. It's poor form he can't talk to the club either. He isn't a required player though.

Remove this Banner Ad

News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back