NFL Div 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

The entire structure of under 19s football across metropolitan leagues needs to be reviewed.

There are byes everywhere, 150 point margins are regular occurrences, and players are leaving the game because of this.

AFL Vic needs to handle this, and it starts with setting a minimum number of players registered by a pre season deadline. The league were absolutely thrown in the deep end this season by the late withdrawals of 2 clubs from division 1. This has harmed all other clubs, who now play 4 less games. Not the leagues fault at all.

You need 30 under 19s registered, with school footy and school commitments etc. Cutting it fine if you have any less.

Its not a surprise which clubs are up the top of the ladder every year

The cap from under 17 to seniors is too great mentally physically ,most under 17 boys would be intimidated playing against grown men
Fair point LFF, However if most of those u17 players went on to play reserves, there would be a possibility they would be playing against opponents their own age or one or two years older.
Back in the 60s and 70s thirds sides were u17.

Fair point LFF, However if most of those u17 players went on to play reserves, there would be a possibility they would be playing against opponents their own age or one or two years older.
Back in the 60s and 70s thirds sides were u17.

This quote was true as I was playing seconds football at 17 in the late eighties but having been involved at under 16 /17 level most of the parents would be up in arms about their boys playing grown men and I don't think the younger guys have enough mongrel in them to play seconds football

From what other's have wrote, Clubs should put forward to the NFL or the NFL to look at: 19s to become a thirds competition. This allows U19s to play and those who miss out in the reserves still get a game. You'll find this cures the rules you've all put forward plus clubs will be able to stay all at the one ground!

Agree with the previous statements RE the dropoff in players from U16/17's and U19's across the metro leagues. However I think the NFL is the most worrying of the major leagues. If you look at the top 4 leagues - VAFA, EFL, EDFL & NFL - the NFL's under 19 numbers are of major concern. I'm involved at a VAFA club but I was previously involved in the NFL and know plenty of people around the league and the strength of the Under 17 competition, and in-turn the Under 19 competition has fallen so far from what I remember 10, or even 5 years ago.

The VAFA is hard to compare as the old boys club connections are something other metro leagues don't have. Generally, most OB's clubs field at least 1 under 19's, sometimes 2 or 3. The stronger district clubs, especially those with a good junior feeder, will field Under 19's. There are plenty of clubs that don't field Under 19's but it's not of huge concern, as generally district clubs are competing with OB's clubs, and plenty of district clubs field thirds teams. All up theres 55 U19's teams running around this year.

The EFL has 44 senior teams in 4 divisions. Only one team in each of Division 1 and 2 are failing to field an Under 19's side this season. They combined Under 19 Division 3&4 but are fielding 15 out of a possible 22 teams. All up theirs 35 U19 teams out of a possible 44: ~80% of clubs

The EDFL is the closest comparison to the NFL. They've got 27 senior teams across 3 divisions exactly the same as the NFL. They also only field two U19 divisions however every Premier club fields U19 and 12 teams across divisions 2 & 3 field U19. A total off 22 out of 27 teams ~81% of clubs.

5 years ago in 2012 there were 21 Under 19 teams in two divisions, there's now 16 teams across two divisions, with one team in Division 2 (Mill Park) not feeding a senior club (correct me if I'm wrong) and another team (Epping) which forfeited in Round 1. Only 15 out of a total of 27 NFL senior clubs can field U19 this season. ~55%. That includes Epping who, as I alluded to, forfeited in Round 1. There's also only 13 teams in Under 17's this season, and Eltham are fielding 2 of them.

It's pretty damning. I don't know what the answers are. I guess the first step if the league wants to do anything about it is to find out why kids are dropping off from age 15 onwards and again from U17 to U19. It was discussed on here a few years ago, and I'm totally in favour of it, to play Under 19's more predominantly on Friday nights. Junior cricket has almost completely shifted from Saturday morning to Friday night. Now junior cricketers are quite younger than U19 footballers but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Obviously the issue of lighting is the biggest hurdle, and playing at night during the middle of winter may be a bit unpleasant. But is playing at 6:30pm on Friday night any colder than 9:40am on Saturday? Maybe use Saturday twilight games as well - 5:00pm start. Off the top of my head Northcote Park, Montmorency, Heidelberg and possibly Hurstbridge and Whittlesea all have good enough lights to host night/twilight games. Diamond Creek and Panton Hill definitely in Division 2 - not sure about any Division 3 clubs.

Thats my two bobs. My theory is if you give a 17/18 year old kid the option of playing after work on a Friday meaning they can also get on the piss afterwards as opposed to waking up at 8am on Saturday I think I know what most will chose. It also gives the 19's their own game and you're probably more likely to get more senior players/supporters down to watch the whole game and put money over the bar.

Just a thought. (and yes I am procrastinating at work)

How come div 1 clubs are blaming the under 19 situation on logistics of trainers being at seperate venues, when div 2 clubs have been coping for years? Perhaps if it's such an issue, then perhaps it's time for a financial or points penalty for div 1 clubs who don't field. Let's face it, if your going to win div 2 flags and get promoted with no thirds, your going to be the proverbial boy with the barrow Pushing shit up hill. Geez if Fitzroy Stars ever got up, how would that work? They have no Thirds and used 44 points in their first game, so not exactly a recipe for success.
I'm with you Brutal. Logistics don't seem to be a problem with 17's and under, and they play all over the place each week.
Perhaps a points and cap penalty would help. example: No19's in Div1 = Cap 200,000 and points 42 or similar
If Stars did get up, there is potential for only 7 sides in Div 1

Some great points. I love the Fri night concept (however lights will be a massive issue) I also like the idea of not 19s but say 18s (or 18 and a 1/2) to align with TAC cup or something like that.

Some responsibility must be taken by Clubs, if you have a junior program how in Gods name do you not have a pathway into the senior program. I believe at Eltham they have large numbers this year (a lot bottom age) and with two 17 sides could have two 19s next year (as has been done in the past) Look at Greensborough's program, I believe 8 grand finals in a row...I am sure all this does not happen by just sitting on their arse expecting juniors to flow into the senior program. Work has to be done.

Where have the Heidelberg and Hurstbridge players gone? They must have started with a belief that they would have 19s this year, did they look at a merged side (clearly with communication would have been the best option) Have the players just been usurped into the 2nds.....or just disappeared and hoped they come back next year. Where are all the Div 2 and 3 Clubs U19s.....why is there no merged sides...?

The SFL had a massive think tank and came up with a plan, this is cut and pasted from their website:

The SFNL has released the 2017 fixture for its Under 19 competition, with a raft of radical changes to the competition structure set to be introduced for the very first time.

The 2017 season will see 13 teams participating in the Under 19s in 2017 – a record number for the SFNL’s under-age competition since its reintroduction in 2008 – prompting a move to an AFL-style top-eight finals system and a new dynamic fixturing model.

The new 18-game model has been adapted from the mooted AFL season fixture concept, which will see the competition split into pools in the latter part of the season in an attempt to ensure competitive matches between all competition teams

Under the new model, each team will play the other 12 once with one bye each between rounds 1-13, before being split into two pools based on ladder position from Round 14 onwards

Pool A will feature teams ranked 1st to 6th, with each team to play the other five once in the final five rounds. All Pool A teams are guaranteed a top-six finish at the conclusion of the 18-match home and away season (no team in Pool A can finish 7th or lower), and will fight for the best possible starting position for finals over the last five rounds.

Pool B will see the bottom eight teams (7th to 13th on the ladder) after 13 rounds play five other clubs in this group once to qualify for the last two remaining finals spots. No team in Pool B can finish higher than 7th overall after the home and away season.

All teams will carry over their premiership points and percentage from Round 13 into their respective pools in Round 14.

The top eight ranked teams after Round 18 (the six teams in Pool A and the top two in Pool B) will then compete in a four-week finals series that mirrors the AFL model.

SFNL General Manager Operations Adam Sparrow said the new competition structure would provide a raft of benefits.

“There is certainly a new look and feel to the Under 19 competition model for 2017, and we hope this will allow for a greater number of competitive games in the back end of the year and some real excitement in the lead in to finals. To have eight teams playing finals for the first time should make for a thrilling end to the season,” Sparrow said.

“In the short period between receiving final team submissions and fixturing we were able to consult with all clubs involved and are excited about how this new model will play out in 2017, despite the perceived break from tradition.”

“At the end of the day, it is a new concept and we will step back at the end of the year and review with the key respective stakeholders.”

Sparrow was also delighted with the high uptake of clubs in 2017, with five clubs either entering an Under 19 team for the first time in 2017 or returning to the competition.

“To have 13 teams committed to the competition is a great outcome for all involved,” he said.

“It is fantastic to welcome back Skye after 12 months off, a standalone Bentleigh team, and the introduction of Parkmore / Springvale Districts, Doveton Eagles and Keysborough, through an amalgamation with Carrum Patterson Lakes. This ultimately strengthens the SFNL’s position and the football pathway in the Frankston, City of Greater Dandenong and Casey Council regions in particular.

“All clubs must be commended on their proactive approach in this space.”

Now that's thinking outside the square and it looks like a plan that could work.

In the end of the day we (Clubs and NFL) need to get on this ASAP, just accepting the death of the 19s competition is ignorant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You support Banyule yeah? Bet you were chomping at the bit when them scores came through. I'd be bitter too

#stillpremiers

I'm afraid not, I watched a half of Heidelberg v Mac yesterday, a few worrying signs there I may add, how bad are your 2's??
On Banyule though, you might playing them sooner than you think, in Division 3 , if the bank is closed.

Heidelberg vs Heidelberg West will be the biggest derby to look forward for the 'power house' of the NFL

I'm afraid not, I watched a half of Heidelberg v Mac yesterday, a few worrying signs there I may add, how bad are your 2's??
On Banyule though, you might playing them sooner than you think, in Division 3 , if the bank is closed.

Heidelberg vs Heidelberg West will be the biggest derby to look forward for the 'power house' of the NFL
So you watched the 2's and half of the Seniors genius, at least you have declared yourself, loyal Mac supporter !

Yes - appears that 140 years of history has gone up in smoke after 3 rounds. Extraordinary AGM this week will see the Prez ousted, coaches sacked and players cleared to clubs of their choice. Final action will be to hand the pavilion keys back to the City of Banyule and soccer can move in.
(Alternative facts).

yep very easy to have a few cheap pot shots at the reigning premiers and the most dominant club of the modern era.
I follow Macleod and have enough respect not to do that ! Declare you hand - which club are you aligned to ?
Well said Unders, had a few run ins in the past but appreciate the support. Don't care what Bas says, just annoying when wackas get on here and don't declare their loyalties

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Div 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back