NFL Div 3 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won Div 2 17's last year but doubtful to get 19's in 2018

An ongoing saga in Kilmore sadly. I've always felt a good junior program can only be judged by the amount of eligible kids who turn up the following year, and Importantly (in time) how many roll thru to the senior club.

For what it's worth the decision to request division 2 for the 17s team last year was the beginning of it. Kilmore JFC had always strived to play the highest level available and that squad (from the Div.1 games I watched) plays finals no worries.

Neighbouring Broadford has had a fair nibble at a number of the graduating kids also I'm told. A lot of talented kids haven't flowed thru from the junior club in recent times more because mum and dad believe they may be above the local club, yet have never stepped foot in the joint or attended a game.

Perception is the killer in any local community unfortunately, and yet again those who choose to drive out of town for their footy are having more impact on the club than they even realise .....

So to say Kilmore's been a successful junior club is ok if you wanna look at pure results over time - but in terms of the big scheme of things and the local community as a whole it fails massively quite often.
At the end of the day kids are just doing what kids developing do - playing sport or being involved in community activity with their mates.

All I wanted to do as a lad growing up in Broadford was play open age sport in town. Cricket, footy, golf I followed my dad everywhere, knew all the players, hung around the rooms, fetched balls, ran water, scoreboard, carried the raffle results board around after half time because that's how I was brought up.

As I became an adult I've tried to do it all again, my kids are being brought up the same way. We get involevd, we help when asked or we offer if we see something needs doing. So much can be taught (and learnt) in local community groups, for me growing up is a time I'll cherish forever as it helped mould the person I am today.

Last edited:
An ongoing saga in Kilmore sadly. I've always felt a good junior program can only be judged by the amount of eligible kids who turn up the following year, and Importantly (in time) how many roll thru to the senior club.

For what it's worth the decision to request division 2 for the 17s team last year was the beginning of it. Kilmore JFC had always strived to play the highest level available and that squad (from the Div.1 games I watched) plays finals no worries.

Neighbouring Broadford has had a fair nibble at a number of the graduating kids also I'm told. A lot of talented kids haven't flowed thru from the junior club in recent times more because mum and dad believe they may be above the local club, yet have never stepped foot in the joint or attended a game.

Perception is the killer in any local community unfortunately, and yet again those who choose to drive out of town for their footy are having more impact on the club than they even realise .....

So to say Kilmore's been a successful junior club is ok if you wanna look at pure results over time - but in terms of the big scheme of things and the local community as a whole it fails massively quite often.
At the end of the day kids are just doing what kids developing do - playing sport or being involved in community activity with their mates.

All I wanted to do as a lad growing up in Broadford was play open age sport in town. Cricket, footy, golf I followed my dad everywhere, knew all the players, hung around the rooms, fetched balls, ran water, scoreboard, carried the raffle results board around after half time because that's how I was brought up.

As I became an adult I've tried to do it all again, my kids are being brought up the same way. We get involevd, we help when asked or we offer if we see something needs doing. So much can be taught (and learnt) in local community groups, for me growing up is a time I'll cherish forever as it helped mould the person I am today.
Totally agree doonn2 there's not enough of it shown to the younger kids these days its the parents that wreck it

Another South Morang player on the move
Luke McKenna lodging a clearance to Heidelberg west,

Sounding pretty sad down at Kilmore. No Ressies I guess would mean no senior teams at all because I doubt they could afford to pay the fines that come with forfeits. If the worst happens a few good players might be cherry picked I know a couple have started getting calls after the Facebook post which in my opinion isn't helpful. How do you post that and expect to get recruits to come along ?

Sounding pretty sad down at Kilmore. No Ressies I guess would mean no senior teams at all because I doubt they could afford to pay the fines that come with forfeits. If the worst happens a few good players might be cherry picked I know a couple have started getting calls after the Facebook post which in my opinion isn't helpful. How do you post that and expect to get recruits to come along ?

Sometimes the reserves players who are sitting back not turning up need a wake up call to commit to the club and let them know they're playing. You'd be surprised on the flip side, the number of players that have now contacted the club to enquire about playing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sometimes the reserves players who are sitting back not turning up need a wake up call to commit to the club and let them know they're playing. You'd be surprised on the flip side, the number of players that have now contacted the club to enquire about playing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well that's good to hear but from a recruiting point of view for the 1's i would think a post like that would make it hard to attract new 1's players. Great to hear players are looking to commit though. Awesome.

Well that's good to hear but from a recruiting point of view for the 1's i would think a post like that would make it hard to attract new 1's players. Great to hear players are looking to commit though. Awesome.

I’m tipping it would be hard to recruit this time of year anyway. Any decent 1s player would have signed with a club by now.
Good luck to Kilmore. Hope they can get some past players back and get some teams on the park.

I hear Broadford are struggling as well.
Could we possibly see a merger sometime in the near future?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m tipping it would be hard to recruit this time of year anyway. Any decent 1s player would have signed with a club by now.
Good luck to Kilmore. Hope they can get some past players back and get some teams on the park.

I hear Broadford are struggling as well.
Could we possibly see a merger sometime in the near future?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You're spot on Iceman. It's now late February and there's not too many decent players out there that are uncontracted. I believe Kilmore's reasonably happy with the senior list, they just need to get a number of blokes off their backsides and provide the numbers to give them some depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back