NFNL Div 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance boomer Harvey could keep his feet, not sure why the bloke always has to flop to the ground he should be playing soccer
Yeh he goes to ground easily, but to be fair he kept North in the game yesterday. And watching yesterday Leggett is just as bad if not worse. For a guy that 100+ kgs and 6 foot 4 he yells and screams as if he’s been shot half the time. It was pretty comical watching it actually. I don’t support either side to be fair. Brandt should have put that game beyond doubt, but missed some easy shots. He’s very good and hard to stop when he’s on!

As a neutral supporter I went to the game expecting NH to have a comfortable win going on previous results.
It was a tight tussle all day and if I'm honest I thought Macleod were the better team on the day but the result didn't fall in their way.
Both teams had chances to seal the game but missed shots cost both teams, S Harvey was well held early but he doesn't need many chances (class player).
Brandt playing deep is a hard match up as he is good overhead as well as at ground level.
Billy Hogan was very good early in the middle, he gets lots of contested football and uses it well but unfortunately he's getting a reputation for undisciplined acts and was once again sent off. I think Boomer would be having a quiet word in his ear !!.
Great crowd again too, NH are flying off ground as well as on and are getting great reward for all the hard work put in by some very loyal people.

That is a bad error.
For the league to review the game there must have been someone who thought there was an error.
Not sure how this can happen, as both goal umpires compare scores at the each quarter.
As a Macleod supporter pretty happy with this.
Also Hogan's 2nd yellow card this year is that a week off I know in some leagues it is ?

Good outcome for Macleod , they deserved something out of the game.
I notice that Hobbs is still out does anyone know how much longer ?.

Well at least that now takes % out of Macleod making the finals and North finishing top 3. Wins are all that matter now!

Horrible decision from the league.

Scores were checked at each break and both teams went into the last accepting they were correct.

It changes the entire style of the game for both teams thinking they are up or down.

North could have slowed the game down thinking they were a point up when they could have tried to score?

Opens up a can of worms

I think the right decision has been made, a fair outcome reached in retrospect. Errors happen, this one is very bad, but the league has owned up to it and rectified it as well as it could IMO. What a great recruit Daniel Harries is turning out to be for the doggies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how you retroactively change a result that has been signed off by both umpires due to someone noticing it on video days later. Mistakes happen but to me you shouldn't be able to change a result after the game. Especially something that happened in the 2nd qtr. May as well look back at frees that were/weren't there that effected the outcome of a game.

Horrible decision from the league.

Scores were checked at each break and both teams went into the last accepting they were correct.

It changes the entire style of the game for both teams thinking they are up or down.

North could have slowed the game down thinking they were a point up when they could have tried to score?

Opens up a can of worms

Well in hindsight , Macleod were 1 point up with 1 minute to go when North got a rushed behind to tie the score.

Macleod could have slowed the game down and tried to keep possession.

Lot of salty people in here.
If the scores arent right, get rid of those people who clearly arent doing their jobs proper. Couldnt give a stuff if volunteer or not, they got it wrong .

Last edited:
Lot of salty people in here.
If the scores arent right, get rid of those people who clearly arent doing their jobs proper. Couldnt give a stuff if volunteer or not, they got it wrong .
Its the goal umpires

Would have been interesting to see the NFL's action if the result was actually a draw on the final siren. Highly doubt they would have handed Macleod the game......

Not sure how you retroactively change a result that has been signed off by both umpires due to someone noticing it on video days later. Mistakes happen but to me you shouldn't be able to change a result after the game. Especially something that happened in the 2nd qtr. May as well look back at frees that were/weren't there that effected the outcome of a game.
Completely agree. My understanding at AFL level is if the mistake is not identified before next bounce (in case of disputed score) or at all levels if a score variance is not identified at the next quarter change, then it stands? Is anyone familiar with the by-laws on it?
I know this is a stretch, but what if something like this happens in a final, or worst still a grand final? If the NFNL are going to make retrospective decisions on games during the H&A season, they would need to do the same come finals.
I can only imagine a MacLeod person raised this - and fair enough too - but it should have been dealt with on the day imo.

Completely agree. My understanding at AFL level is if the mistake is not identified before next bounce (in case of disputed score) or at all levels if a score variance is not identified at the next quarter change, then it stands? Is anyone familiar with the by-laws on it?
I know this is a stretch, but what if something like this happens in a final, or worst still a grand final? If the NFNL are going to make retrospective decisions on games during the H&A season, they would need to do the same come finals.
I can only imagine a MacLeod person raised this - and fair enough too - but it should have been dealt with on the day imo.

It is my understanding that Macleod official/s were aware of the error at the conclusion of the match. Read last night that North were happy to move on and considered the matter closed. Good on them, not sure I'd be so gracious unless they were also aware during the game that the scores may be incorrect. I assume some team managers still keep the scores separate to the official timekeeper/scoreboard attendants.

http://nfnl.org.au/statement-process-for-determining-score-change/
I just read the statement of explanation posted by the NFNL today. I accept umpires and volunteers (scoreboard) can make human errors and I have no issue there. I give credit that the NFNL have provided follow up so everyone is clear on what happened. My questions/thoughts out of this are 1/ How often do the 2 goal umpires have different scores to each other at a break? And if they do, what is the protocol they are directed to follow to resolve/confirm the correct score? 2/ Reading the explanation, I am accepting of the score/result change on this game. But - and maybe it was raised - if I was part of that umpire group on Sat I would have discussed it with the others, re-traced as best we could the recollection of the 2nd quarter to work out the error, and finally if still unable to identify it, request an official review of the second quarter video and get back to them at 3/4 time. The videos are recorded in quarter segments and the videographer could have downloaded it at the request of the umpires/officials at half time.
It sounds the logical process to follow. I may be being pretty pedantic, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would hope moving forward that a protocol would be established and followed in future when goal umpires have different scores at any break. If there is a learning out of the incident, then it's a bonus. The scoreboard score should not really come into it, outside of the goal umpires confirming to them that they have the score correct.

The AFL have changed the result of a game before. Remember sirengate?

http://nfnl.org.au/statement-process-for-determining-score-change/
I just read the statement of explanation posted by the NFNL today. I accept umpires and volunteers (scoreboard) can make human errors and I have no issue there. I give credit that the NFNL have provided follow up so everyone is clear on what happened. My questions/thoughts out of this are 1/ How often do the 2 goal umpires have different scores to each other at a break? And if they do, what is the protocol they are directed to follow to resolve/confirm the correct score? 2/ Reading the explanation, I am accepting of the score/result change on this game. But - and maybe it was raised - if I was part of that umpire group on Sat I would have discussed it with the others, re-traced as best we could the recollection of the 2nd quarter to work out the error, and finally if still unable to identify it, request an official review of the second quarter video and get back to them at 3/4 time. The videos are recorded in quarter segments and the videographer could have downloaded it at the request of the umpires/officials at half time.
It sounds the logical process to follow. I may be being pretty pedantic, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would hope moving forward that a protocol would be established and followed in future when goal umpires have different scores at any break. If there is a learning out of the incident, then it's a bonus. The scoreboard score should not really come into it, outside of the goal umpires confirming to them that they have the score correct.
If the umpires have different scores they check with the time keeper and scoreboard attendant and find the discrepancy. If it was 1 umpire and scoreboard attendant vs 1 Umpire and 1 time keeper the time keepers score would be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back