NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Great weekend of footy, three teams still after the double chance and two teams after the fourth sport. Will know more after this weekend. Great for local footy.
Turtles v Kinglake and West v Laurimar this weekend.
If Turtles win and Laurimar lose, Laurimar become equal on losses with West and one game safe from turtles. Meanhile Kinglake only become 1 game ahead of West/Laurimar in the event West wins. Kinglake to then play Laurimar and West in the next 2 weeks after this.

This week can make it too hard for turtles if they lose, can rub west out if they lose, bring laurmar into playing off for 3rd or 4th position if they lose or put kinglake in dnager territory if they lose. Every week seems to be big ladder shifting rounds. Mernda are the only top 2 lock in my opinion and 2nd - 5th are all up for grabs still.

Turtles v Kinglake and West v Laurimar this weekend.
If Turtles win and Laurimar lose, Laurimar become equal on losses with West and one game safe from turtles. Meanhile Kinglake only become 1 game ahead of West/Laurimar in the event West wins. Kinglake to then play Laurimar and West in the next 2 weeks after this.

This week can make it too hard for turtles if they lose, can rub west out if they lose, bring laurmar into playing off for 3rd or 4th position if they lose or put kinglake in dnager territory if they lose. Every week seems to be big ladder shifting rounds. Mernda are the only top 2 lock in my opinion and 2nd - 5th are all up for grabs still.
Big ask for Turtles to win up the mountain in the fog,rain,mud & snow, would be the only team to do so this year. Power & West should be very interesting as you say neither will want to loose. Mernda's only danger will be Stars in the final round. Going into finals I would like the double chance just in case.

Big ask for Turtles to win up the mountain in the fog,rain,mud & snow, would be the only team to do so this year. Power & West should be very interesting as you say neither will want to loose. Mernda's only danger will be Stars in the final round. Going into finals I would like the double chance just in case.
Kilmore, west and Stars will all be tricky games for Mernda. All have shown to be good at stages…

Can Kinglake adapt to playing on big grounds in finals? They have been smacked by Mernda and Old Eltham away from home.

Has to be a bit of a concesom
Can Kinglake adapt to playing on big grounds in finals? They have been smacked by Mernda and Old Eltham away from home.

Has to be a bit of a concern.
Most of the country grounds they have been playing on and winning for the past few year’s are huge and posed no problem at all. player availability might be a bigger concern at times.
But that is the same problem for all club come finals. They are doing ok seeing most gave them bugger all chance at the start of the season and a win this week would lock them into playing finals.

Reservoir to win it's 2nd game
Power won't want to loose two in a row, West need to win to stay in the finals hunt, Laurimaur by a couple of goals
Mernda by 4 goals
Lakers at home in a close one although Eltham are in the same boat as West, both games will be crackers
If power & lakers don't get the job done as they should, it's going to turn things on its head.

If power & lakers don't get the job done as they should, it's going to turn things on its head.
1 game would separate second to fifth if those results happen.

lakers still to play laurimar and west (lose all 3 after losing this week they finish on 6 losses)
laurimar play Kinglake and reservoir after this week I see them finishing ahead of kinglake in second
West play mernda, Kinglake and lalor
Turtles to play reservoir and kilmore

If turtles win this week I almost feel battle for 4th is between Kinglake and west

1 game would separate second to fifth if those results happen.

lakers still to play laurimar and west (lose all 3 after losing this week they finish on 6 losses)
laurimar play Kinglake and reservoir after this week I see them finishing ahead of kinglake in second
West play mernda, Kinglake and lalor
Turtles to play reservoir and kilmore

If turtles win this week I almost feel battle for 4th is between Kinglake and west
Lakers currently only have 2 losses, even if they lose all 3 games to Old Eltham, Laurimar and West they will finish 11-5 as they have a bye in round 18. Win one of their last 3 games they will be safe, unbeaten at home can secure a finals berth with a win this week

West are currently 8-4, still have to play Laurimar, Mernda, Kinglake and Lalor. Probably need to win all 4 games to make it due to % difference.

Old Eltham currently have 5 losses, they have Kinglake, bye, Kilmore and Reservoir. Loss this week to Kinglake they will have 6 losses and will most likely finish 10-6

Laurimar have a massive 2 weeks against West and Kinglake, they finish with bye and Reservoir. Win those two games and they will finish top 2

Mernda will finish top 2 as they finish with Kilmore, West, Lalor and Fitzroy stars

Lots to play out in final 4 rounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club not mentioned has played here before and, like Kinglake, struggled in a two-division landscape.

They have seen their next-door neighbour move over to the NFNL a few years ago and that plus Kinglake's successful return has them considering a move to a stronger league. Plus they would get to have a crack at their neighbours again for local bragging rights.

The club not mentioned has played here before and, like Kinglake, struggled in a two-division landscape.

They have seen a neighbour move over to the NFNL in recent years and Kinglake's successful return has them considering a move to a stronger league.
If Wallan decide to also return or northern saints (formerly fawkner park) we would really have 3 well sized divisions. All would be great inclusions

Wallan is what I heard. I think local matches against Kilmore, Kinglake, Mernda and Laurimar have become more appealing than trips to Melton Centrals and Rockbank and the potential inclusion of Gisborne Giants in the next year or two and persistent whispers of Kyneton crossing leagues has them thinking that now is the time.

If Wallan decide to also return or northern saints (formerly fawkner park) we would really have 3 well sized divisions. All would be great inclusions
Interesting times ahead, i am actually very curious about how the boys up the mountain go next year and the year after.
The word is out that Fairchild wont coach there next year no matter what happens and there is also talk about player payments being a fair way behind.
No Juniors or U19's, money problems, not sure what the future is for them whether they win the flag this year or not.

Round 15

Reservoir 8th vs Lalor 9th Big game for both clubs, can Reservoir get another win in season 2023 or will Lalor finally break through for their first win for the season. It has been a long time since Lalor last win which was against Reservoir in 2021. You have to go all the way back to 5/08/2017 when they last won a game not playing against Reservoir and that win was against Panton Hill in division 2. Reservoir have shown better form recently and should get the job done again. Reservoir by 14 points

Heidelberg West 4th vs Laurimar 3rd. A big month ahead for the Hawks who finish the season off with Laurimar, Mernda, Kinglake and Lalor. If they do make finals then they will have had a great last 4 weeks. L Hill, Kelly, Offer and Paton were excellent last week and they will loom for their good form to continue. For the Power, they will loom to bounce back after last weeks disappointing result against the Turtles. If the power drop this game then they could fall 2 games behind Kinglake and Mernda (if they both win) and the double chance becomes that more difficult to obtain. Power though have been the benchmark all season and they will bounce back. Laurimar by 17 points

Kilmore 6th vs Mernda 2nd Kilmore were again competitive last week going down by 26 points to Heidelberg West and they will look to upset Mernda at home. Coach Derrick going against his former club and I am sure he would love nothing better than to knock Mernda over. The demons though have been fantastic all year and are set up beautifully to finish top 2 and give the 2023 flag a real shout. Mernda too good winking by 29 points

Kinglake 1st vs Old Eltham 5th. Another big clash with the Lakers looking to have an unbeaten home run in 2023 and a desperate Old Eltham not wanting to fall 4 points (possibly) behind Heidelberg West. Last time it was all the Turtles with a 40 point victory. M Coen is a big out for the Lakers as his match up with Williamson would have been a beauty. Again it was Williamson and Milne kicking 5 of the 9 goals scored by the Turtles last week. The match ups for Kinglake with these 2 will go a long way in deciding who gets the 4 points. For the Turtles they will need to be mindful of Gilbert who is having a fantastic season and Pywell who kicked 8 between them last week against Fitzroy stars. This should be a rainy but going with the home team. Kinglake by 11 points

Enjoy the footy

12 team comp would be a complete disaster. 10 max play each other twice.

The viability of Lalor and Reservoir needs to be seriously considered next season.
10571z totally agree. The long term future of Lalor must be questioned, if they don’t win tomorrow, can they survive another year. Full credit to them for keeping the doors open but heard they had 8-10 players do double duty against Kinglake in their last game.
Reservoir have at least been a bit more competitive this year.
If Lalor do unfortunately go under than I think Ivanhoe and Wallan would be the 2 clubs that might come in.
I don’t mind division 3 having more than 10 teams, it does give you some flexibility if one or two clubs do sadly go under

12 team comp would be a complete disaster. 10 max play each other twice.

The viability of Lalor and Reservoir needs to be seriously considered next season.
Hows this for divisional structure if it all happened?

Div 1:
Heidelberg
Mont
Bundoora
North
Hurstbridge
Greensborough
WPL
Macleod
Banyule

16 rounds, 2 byes, play every team twice

Div 2: