Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 164 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let the backtracking begin!

Gulden and Rozee were more thrown in for their versatility but it’s funny those were the only ones you had issue with.

Let the backtracking begin indeed. So now you only chose Gulden and Rozee for versatility, not because they’re harder mids? Might have something to do with your hypocrisy being pointed out considering they play way more bruise free and outside than Nick. And I mentioned all of the players because essentially none are Daicos’ age.

Someone else broke down why your choices were dumb. I’ll give you Bont and that’s it. But he’s one of the greats and 28yo so not sure it’s as much of a point as you think it is. The rest you are clutching at straws and outing yourself as a clueless football watcher.

You might want to check who got the chocolates when Nick literally went head to head as a #1 or #2 mid against some of these favourites of yours. Port rd 6, Freo r11, GC r16 last year. Hint: it was not Rozee, Houston (27yo btw), Serong or Rowell.

Last edited:
It’s so funny how the arguments against Nick have evolved in the past year but all variations on the same stupid theme.

‘Shouldn’t have as many possessions counted under his name because too many of them are kick ins’ was a way to claim he’s not as productive as it seems. Now debunked and irrelevant.

‘Wins too many uncontested ball and not enough contested’ as a way to claim others do the hard work for him to get the ball. Now debunked and irrelevant.

Now the latest fad is ‘his CPs are made of too many loose ball gets versus hard ball gets’ which is just a dumb way of saying that he’s not a crash and bash player. The really dumb part of this argument is that if this mattered, he wouldn’t get the ball as much and the opposition mids would get it instead. Whichever way you look at it, when the ball is in contest he gets it more and the other mids or whoever he’s up against get it less and that includes the quintessential inside midfield battle which is centre and stoppage clearances.

If the only point people have to make is that he is not Cripps Bont or H Reid then they essentially have nothing as it’s not his body type or play style but he still gets the job done as a mid regardless. Not to mention he’ll get bigger and stronger in the next few years so will also likely win more ball that way if it’s necessary.
Yep. Pretty odd that some don't get that picking up a ball in dispute and avoiding tacklers is more effective than picking up a ball in dispute and crashing into tacklers.

Exactly. Stats merchant. Anyone that actually watches the games will tell you hes a front runner who sooks it up as soon as the going gets tough.

Crisp has basically carried him over the last month or so and before that the midfield was at full strength.

Current players I’m taking over Daicos: Bont, Dawson, Heeney, Petracca, Rowell, Butters, Rozee, Gulden, Serong and maybe Warner(definitely on current form) Some in their prime, some around the same age. Some big bodies, some around the same body type as Daicos.

He gets hyped up way too much for the smallest things and these other blokes do it week on week with zero fanfare.
Embarassing opinion, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're trolling, as no footy fan could have that little idea.

Let the backtracking begin indeed. So now you only chose Gulden and Rozee for versatility, not because they’re harder mids? Might have something to do with your hypocrisy being pointed out considering they play way more bruise free and outside than Nick. And I mentioned all of the players because essentially none are Daicos’ age.

Someone else broke down why your choices were dumb. I’ll give you Bont and that’s it. But he’s one of the greats and 28yo so not sure it’s as much of a point as you think it is. The rest you are clutching at straws and outing yourself as a clueless football watcher.

You might want to check who got the chocolates when Nick literally went head to head as a #1 or #2 mid against some of these favourites of yours. Port rd 6, Freo r11, GC r16 last year. Hint: it was not Rozee, Serong or Rowell. Arguably Houston at a stretch but he’s also 27yo. Lol.
I listed players I’d take ahead of Daicos and you picked the only two that have a semi outside role (Gulden only because the rest of the midfield is stacked, would be playing inside mid at just about every other club).

Rozee was also up with Heeney as the best players in the comp before he got injured.

Reid and Wardlaw are in the conversation as well if you like. Both have won games off their own steam playing for bad sides.

Again.. check the thread title. That’s the argument here and Daicos doesn’t come close if he’s not even clear of some of these players

So far have only seen Collingwood supporters with the opposite viewpoint so there’s not a whole lot to go on
lol, you can’t even get the chronically online Carlton crew to back you up. That’s how you should know you’re struggling.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
lol, you can’t even get the chronically online Carlton crew to back you up. That’s how you should know you’re struggling.
Thats because we know how good Nick is, we just like to take the piss sometimes

You realise you’re making the point for me? The last few weeks has been his least impactful for the year aside from one quarter against the spooners. His best form for the year came when you guys had a decent midfield group to pick from.

You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. The period I mention includes the best ever stretch of coaches vote in a game by any player and the best ever CD rating of an individual game.

Exactly. Stats merchant. Anyone that actually watches the games will tell you hes a front runner who sooks it up as soon as the going gets tough.
Coasters I have to say your posting is very entertaining. The contortions of argument you attempt are baffling to me and I do feel a bit sad for posters who cant appreciate the absolute best kids as the come into the game but your thoughts have become must read. A bit like watching Harley Reid highlights against Melbourne I cant help but come back and think "he hasn't really said (or in Harleys case done) that". However I wanted to put up my favorite bit of posting, its just like the Harley double dont argue, mesmerising.

It was audacious to suggest NDs last few weeks have been the least impactful for the year when at the same time his coaches votes for the last 7 roundds reads 10,10,10,9,8,-,7.

Then when that gets pointed out to you come back with "Exactly. Stats merchant. Anyone who actually watches the game will will tell you he is a front runner who sooks it up"

You do understand who the coaches are? So this unheard of number of votes ND has got from the coaches in 7 weeks come from a group who don't actually watch the game and just mark on stats". Thats fantastic

Last edited:
When you look at some of the great players they also have a degree of hardness to them. N Daicos is as soft as custard at times. Fact .
Think you need to look up the meaning of a fact and an opinion

Can he be GOAT. All we can really go on is the evidence of his 1st 2 seasons. One way to look at it would be to say what if thats his highwater mark, what if he just stays at this level for the rest of his career? Would be unusual but lets run with it

So what if ND has the long career required for GOAT consideration but just plays exactly at his year 1 and 2 level. Lets give him 16 seasons, retires at 34 years old. What does his career look like?

8 top 3 finishes in the Brownlow
8 top 3 finishes in the Coaches award
Top 3 in the Norm Smith whenever he pays in a GF

Extrapolate the brownlow votes of 2 seasons into 16 and he has 312 votes over 16 seasons compared to the best ever GAJ 262 over 19.

Now this is fantasy but you cant do it with any other modern players 1st 2 seasons and get anywhere near these answers. It also assumes he won't improve, which is very unlikely and it means although the evidence is only 2 years you can see why some people are wondering is this the early days of the greatest career of all time.

Now if you were to extrapolate his 3rd season into it and assume he goes top 3 in coaches and Brownlow again and gets 28 votes like he did last year (probably on track for more) the numbers become

12 top 3 in the Brownlow/Coaches and 352 career votes. I am enjoying this game

Probably more brownlow and coaches votes today. Is now clear Brownlow fav at 3.50 with Heeney 4.50, Bont 6.0

Would be just if he takes out both these awards in 24 after getting injured in 23 late in the season when he was a clear leader in both awards.

Freakish 1st 3 seasons, no modern player comes near so its reasonable to put him into GOAT discussions with an * for it being early days.

Probably more brownlow and coaches votes today. Is now clear Brownlow fav at 3.50 with Heeney 4.50, Bont 6.0

Would be just if he takes out both these awards in 24 after getting injured in 23 late in the season when he was a clear leader in both awards.

Freakish 1st 3 seasons, no modern player comes near so its reasonable to put him into GOAT discussions with an * for it being early days.
Bontempelli deserves one before Daicos if we're talking justice lmao.

Heeney been far better this year too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’d he go?

Powered his team to victory through his relentless attack on the ball & player, despite his own safety?

Or

Collected cheapies through the game without impacting much, flopping occasionally, as his team fell short to the almighty beast that is Gold Coast?

Played well but to be honest the Suns didn't tag him , just backed Flanders to be as effective. Daicos had 32 and a goal, Flanders had 33 and a goal. You could argue that either were the better player on the day, probably Flanders early and Daicos late. You can still get $4.00 at Ladbrokes for him to win the brownlow. Cripps at $6.00 might come in tomorrow if he monsters the Tigers.

Played well but to be honest the Suns didn't tag him , just backed Flanders to be as effective. Daicos had 32 and a goal, Flanders had 33 and a goal. You could argue that either were the better player on the day, probably Flanders early and Daicos late. You can still get $4.00 at Ladbrokes for him to win the brownlow. Cripps at $6.00 might come in tomorrow if he monsters the Tigers.
Daics kicked two goals actually including this GOTY contender, another brilliant game, 2 or 3 Brownlow votes

Daics kicked two goals actually including this GOTY contender, another brilliant game, 2 or 3 Brownlow votes

My post was more to point out that he was at best marginally more effective than his opponent, if at all. But provided he gets Brownlow votes that's all that matters.

How’d he go?

Powered his team to victory through his relentless attack on the ball & player, despite his own safety?

Or

Collected cheapies through the game without impacting much, flopping occasionally, as his team fell short to the almighty beast that is Gold Coast?

Played an instrumental part in putting pies into the lead with 3 mins to go after yet another late comeback.

Credit to GC who thoroughly deserved the win. The loss however was no fault of Nicks

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back