Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 164 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

..not to mention a collection of pro St Kilda posts. For the past couple of days I’ve been quite sure this is just the latest reincarnation of the notorious troll “Christian Boy” aka “AdamH” aka “The Finger” aka “The Fireman” (have I missed any?).
You could be an onto something. Christian boy who was definitely Adam H who changed from saints to Dee’s seems to have disappeared.

You could be an onto something. Christian boy who was definitely Adam H who changed from saints to Dee’s seems to have disappeared.
Omg that's hilarious 😂 😃 😄

The Outer East FL stuff is a dead giveaway... Adam H aka The Finger aka Christian Boy is back... as one of US 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 this time

Hope that suspension gets lifted 🙏

I deliberately stayed out of this thread until I could spend sometime watching him a bit more.

For someone with his immense skills, he works ****ing hard to get from one contest to the next and to provide options for his team mates.

I say he can be.
I don't know how old you are but the best players in history resembled Superman when they played. Think Ablett Senior and Carey.

Little Nick hasn't taken a single contested mark in 62 games.

He's a great little player, but one with limitations that exclude him from ever being in the conversation of greatest of all time. The suggestion is laughable.

I don't know how old you are but the best players in history resembled Superman when they played. Think Ablett Senior and Carey.

He's a great little player, but one with limitations that exclude him from ever being in the conversation of greatest of all time. The suggestion is laughable.
The truth is, more and more people are coming around to the idea that he's likely to be amongst the greatest to have played the game.

Don't let your stubbornness see you stranded at the platform...

The truth is, more and more people are coming around to the idea that he's likely to be amongst the greatest to have played the game.

I'm not a sheep and have had the benefit of seeing players like Matthews, Ablett, Carey, Lockett, etc.

Little Nick will never be in the conversation.

He's just a lovely little player.

I saw both Ablett's and Carey's career's in their entirety.

He's had more handballs in 61 games than Ablett had in his entire 248 game career.

Ablett and Carey are the best 2 I've seen but it's arrogant to say that Daicos can't be the GOAT. For starters he'll have about 100 game head start on where Ablett was when he started at Geelong.

Franklin struggled marking over his head and had no right foot but plenty want to put him in the conversation (I'm not one of them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way some Collingwood fans fawn over him is incredibly disrespectful to the Magpie greats of yesteryear.

He has a massive uphill battle on his hands trying to catch the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, and Buckley in trying to be the greatest Collingwood player ever. If I were those guys I would be disgusted at my own fanbase.

He is so far below the greatest players ever but may slowly rise and beone of the better players.

This thread is dumb. There is nothing he does now that hasnt been done better.

At his age Leigh Matthews had 120 goals, 280 marks, 1,400 possessions.

Matthews got better and better too.

He is so far below the greatest players ever but may slowly rise and beone of the better players.

This thread is dumb. There is nothing he does now that hasnt been done better.

At his age Leigh Matthews had 120 goals, 280 marks, 1,400 possessions.

Matthews got better and better too.
Lethal is widely acknowledged as the GOAT and the best I have seen. Carey, Lockett, Hudson are next. GAJ the best of the similar type of players. Yes he has miles to go to get to their standing. He has only 2 and 1/2 years to go on so far. However if you take that 2.5 years and say is this the sort of quality he produces for 15 seasons, even if he gets no better, then he will be in the discussion.

I would argue with the idea that there is nothing he does now that hasn't been done better. He has clearly more Brownlow votes in his 1st 2 seasons that the best 20 brownlow vote getters of all time, he doubles, triples or quadruples most of them. He was a Brownlow/AFLCA placegetter season 2, (likely wins both without the late season injury). He is Brownlow fav and 2nd currently in AFLCA votes in season 3 so likely, at a minimum, places again in both. He is being assessed by the coaches and in the Brownlow so much more highly that any other modern player in his 1st 3 seasons.

He has a massive influence on games for a young player. Without him we don't come back and win against NM and without him we dont head GC yesterday, even if we lost in the end.

The way some Collingwood fans fawn over him is incredibly disrespectful to the Magpie greats of yesteryear.

He has a massive uphill battle on his hands trying to catch the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, and Buckley in trying to be the greatest Collingwood player ever. If I were those guys I would be disgusted at my own fanbase.
Not sure why its a massive uphill battle to catch them. You have named 3 of my all time fav Pies and I rate Bucks and Pendles as no 1 and 2 in the clubs history. I would say Nicks best footy has already gone past Pendles best footy. Pendles has never had a strong claim as best player in the comp whereas Nick was in that discussion season 2. Barring chronic injuries I think Nick will end up being better than all of them. He looks a generational talent to me.

Best young player I have seen at Collingwood was John Greening, given a full career I think he would have been our best ever. Nick is at his level at least as a young player

Bontempelli deserves one before Daicos if we're talking justice lmao.

Heeney been far better this year too
Agree the Bont would be very deserving. Sensational career, will be his clubs best ever (also better than anyone my club has ever had but ND may change that). But as it stands ND is a little bit ahead of Bont in likelihood for this season. May change yet.

Don't mind if you say you think Heeney is ahead this year, he is having by far a career best in his 10th season, but I think its overs to say far better. My guess is that ND overtakes him by years end.

Lethal is widely acknowledged as the GOAT and the best I have seen. Carey, Lockett, Hudson are next. GAJ the best of the similar type of players. Yes he has miles to go to get to their standing. He has only 2 and 1/2 years to go on so far. However if you take that 2.5 years and say is this the sort of quality he produces for 15 seasons, even if he gets no better, then he will be in the discussion.

I would argue with the idea that there is nothing he does now that hasn't been done better. He has clearly more Brownlow votes in his 1st 2 seasons that the best 20 brownlow vote getters of all time, he doubles, triples or quadruples most of them. He was a Brownlow/AFLCA placegetter season 2, (likely wins both without the late season injury). He is Brownlow fav and 2nd currently in AFLCA votes in season 3 so likely, at a minimum, places again in both. He is being assessed by the coaches and in the Brownlow so much more highly that any other modern player in his 1st 3 seasons.

He has a massive influence on games for a young player. Without him we don't come back and win against NM and without him we dont head GC yesterday, even if we lost in the end.

People had 2 Brownlows at his age. Total Brownlow votes are irrelevant because umpires only look at 3 or 4 players per team now so you need 30+ to win vs 20+ being enough 30 years ago.

Also, the fact that Matthews never won a Brownlow tells you the umpires have never been that good at picking the best players.

Bontempelli is the best player of the last 6 or 8 years and also hasnt won a Brownlow. Even coach votes arent the best because coaches have to get their votes in too early so the Sunday games wont have finished their full review.

Next up is AA which is probably the worst of all given who the selectors are and they dont even need to watch all the games.

Ive said it often but Sheezel is every bit as good and would get all the same fawning by the media if he was at Collingwood.

Daicos at the Roos wouldnt have been as good as Sheezel is. Collingwood supporters arent going to agree but you'll find heaps of non Roos or Pies supporters agreeing.

Played well but to be honest the Suns didn't tag him , just backed Flanders to be as effective. Daicos had 32 and a goal, Flanders had 33 and a goal. You could argue that either were the better player on the day, probably Flanders early and Daicos late. You can still get $4.00 at Ladbrokes for him to win the brownlow. Cripps at $6.00 might come in tomorrow if he monsters the Tigers.
Flanders was great yesterday. He has upped his game, is getting plenty of the ball as GC 4th mid, an uncontested connector who is very good. Reckon yesterday he may get Brownlow votes for the 2nd time in his 88 game career. Still if you really reckon he was as effective as ND yesterday you need to show me not just numbers but standout play.

I can name 4 special bits of play from ND that resulted in Collingwood goals that probably don't happen if it was any other player on the ground

• the left foot pass, floated over an opponent to Josh, who goals
  • The smothered ball hr recollects and then feeds on ending with Bobby Hill
  • the weighted pass to Jeremy Howe 25 m out
  • the 3 possession play where in the end in sidestepped through Rowell for a goal

He also kicked another set shot goal

If Flanders has a piece of play like any of these in his career it will go down in his memory of one of his highlights. No knock to Flanders but Nick does these every week

Flanders was great yesterday. He has upped his game, is getting plenty of the ball as GC 4th mid, an uncontested connector who is very good. Reckon yesterday he may get Brownlow votes for the 2nd time in his 88 game career. Still if you really reckon he was as effective as ND yesterday you need to show me not just numbers but standout play.

I can name 4 special bits of play from ND that resulted in Collingwood goals that probably don't happen if it was any other player on the ground

• the left foot pass, floated over an opponent to Josh, who goals
  • The smothered ball hr recollects and then feeds on ending with Bobby Hill
  • the weighted pass to Jeremy Howe 25 m out
  • the 3 possession play where in the end in sidestepped through Rowell for a goal

He also kicked another set shot goal

If Flanders has a piece of play like any of these in his career it will go down in his memory of one of his highlights. No knock to Flanders but Nick does these every week
Flanders was the best player on the best team. Just because Nicky did a nice sidestep and staged for a free doesn't make much difference.

I also thought Collins had a better game than Nick, though down in defense he won't get the plaudits or votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back