Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 143 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 355 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve watched clips, you realise many of his games were televised and archived, right?

I would agree he was vastly superior to his peers but that means nothing. It’s a completely different era, your point is a fallacy at best.

Obviously I have enormous respect for him but I really don’t think he can be considered the GOAT purely given how amateur the game he played was
I think the assumption is that if Matthew’s played today he would be training to modern standards. His ability to break a tackle and kick a goal is the equal of Dusty

I think the assumption is that if Matthew’s played today he would be training to modern standards. His ability to break a tackle and kick a goal is the equal of Dusty
Yeah I understand the assertion, I have a high level of understanding of the modern high performance environment and just disagree that his ability would’ve scaled accordingly

This is just an opinion, but I feel Leigh maximised his physical ability, he had a far better physique than most of his era and ran harder than most too. I don’t think there is a whole lot else that would’ve been squeezed out of him had he been born 30 years later for example.

I think in the modern game Leigh would’ve had a very good career, but I don’t think it would’ve scaled as well as people seem to suggest.

Yeah I understand the assertion, I have a high level of understanding of the modern high performance environment and just disagree that his ability would’ve scaled accordingly

This is just an opinion, but I feel Leigh maximised his physical ability, he had a far better physique than most of his era and ran harder than most too. I don’t think there is a whole lot else that would’ve been squeezed out of him had he been born 30 years later for example.

I think in the modern game Leigh would’ve had a very good career, but I don’t think it would’ve scaled as well as people seem to suggest.
He played for four seasons after Ablett started and Carey started only four years after he retired. They are pretty much all in the same era

Leigh was better than you realise.

Did you see Lethal play much? Would be a star in any era

I’ve watched clips, you realise many of his games were televised and archived, right?

I would agree he was vastly superior to his peers but that means nothing. It’s a completely different era, your point is a fallacy at best.

Obviously I have enormous respect for him but I really don’t think he can be considered the GOAT purely given how amateur the game he played was
On the contrary, it means everything.

Because comparing a player to his peers is the only way you can truly judge how good he was.

As you have helpfully pointed out yourself (inadvertently), it's a waste of time trying to compare players of different eras to each other.

How does this relate to assessing an all-time great player? Well, if a player is a consistent great for his era, then he can be in consideration as an all-time great - as Matthews was and should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the contrary, it means everything.

Because comparing a player to his peers is the only way you can truly judge how good he was.

As you have helpfully pointed out yourself (inadvertently), it's a waste of time trying to compare players of different eras to each other.

How does this relate to assessing an all-time great player? Well, if a player is a consistent standout for his era, then he can be in consideration as an all-time great - as Matthews was and should be.
This point is one I can agree with to a degree, I just think like for like comparing a player in the 70’s to a player in the 2000’s onwards is like comparing two completely different sports.

Though, if your point is that we can only compare a player to those around them then Leigh was as far infront of his peers as Gary Ablett Junior was during his career.

Just bizarre how in the AFL we prop up Leigh, but nobody in their right mind would suggest that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would be the NBA GOAT, or Pele the football GOAT

In those sports, we embrace modernity and rightfully acknowledge LeBron and Messi (or Ronaldo if you’re an idiot) as the GOATs

Careful, you are speaking with someone who mocks others for being "old-timers". :)
I’m actually proud of having a greater breadth of football exposure to use as a valid, experiential take on the history of the game than those typical know-it-all whipper-snappers with such a small sample size to draw from.

This point is one I can agree with to a degree, I just think like for like comparing a player in the 70’s to a player in the 2000’s onwards is like comparing two completely different sports.

Though, if your point is that we can only compare a player to those around them then Leigh was as far infront of his peers as Gary Ablett Junior was during his career.

Just bizarre how in the AFL we prop up Leigh, but nobody in their right mind would suggest that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would be the NBA GOAT, or Pele the football GOAT

In those sports, we embrace modernity and rightfully acknowledge LeBron and Messi (or Ronaldo if you’re an idiot) as the GOATs
Say what? Not many don't consider Michael Jordan to be the GOAT.

Pele and Maradona are 100% still in the GOAT conversation, if not leading it. Bizarre comment.

I’m actually proud of having a greater breadth of football exposure to use as a valid, experiential take on the history of the game than those typical know-it-all whipper-snappers with such a small sample size to draw from.
Oh, same here. :)

But that is wholly wrong.

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the greatest basketballers of all time - because he was so much better than his peers

Bradman is the greatest cricketer of all time - because he was multiple standard deviations better than his peers.

Plenty would suggest - with force - that Pele is the football GOAT.

That games have changed is irrelevant. If someone destroyed their peers in their own time, it’s unreasonable to assume that that person alone in their era had a modern day approach to their game.

Matthews would have been a superstar in any era of the game.

Say what? Not many don't consider Michael Jordan to be the GOAT.

Pele and Maradona are 100% still in the GOAT conversation, if not leading it. Bizarre comment.

But that is wholly wrong.

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the greatest basketballers of all time - because he was so much better than his peers

Bradman is the greatest cricketer of all time - because he was multiple standard deviations better than his peers.

Plenty would suggest - with force - that Pele is the football GOAT.

That games have changed is irrelevant. If someone destroyed their peers in their own time, it’s unreasonable to assume that that person alone in their era had a modern day approach to their game.

Matthews would have been a superstar in any era of the game.
You’ve a clear bias to yesteryear and I’ve a clear bias to the modern era.

Pretty clear line in the sand here - we can put to bed whatever debate we have and leave it and that.

I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest Pele or Maradona would be anywhere near GOAT talks, but that is absolutely a symptom of our individual biases. Jordan vs LeBron is different to Wilt or KAJ.

The point on Bradman is a good one, I still disagree that Matthews would’ve scaled to the ability of the modern game and been as far ahead today as he was then, but I do also take the point many have made that being that far ahead during an era is a pretty good measure for your standing in the game.

Back