Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 143 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 355 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve a clear bias to yesteryear and I’ve a clear bias to the modern era.

Pretty clear line in the sand here - we can put to bed whatever debate we have and leave it and that.

I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest Pele or Maradona would be anywhere near GOAT talks, but that is absolutely a symptom of our individual biases. Jordan vs LeBron is different to Wilt or KAJ.

The point on Bradman is a good one, I still disagree that Matthews would’ve scaled to the ability of the modern game and been as far ahead today as he was then, but I do also take the point many have made that being that far ahead during an era is a pretty good measure for your standing in the game.
Is the pretty clear line in the sand that you can't find anyone to back you up?

Is the pretty clear line in the sand that you can't find anyone to back you up?
I worked in Europe for one of the largest football organisations in the world and you would’ve been absolutely rinsed for suggesting Pele (whose stats are completely misrepresented) was anywhere near these conversations

Maradona is closer, but it’s daylight between he and Messi/Ronaldo

My line in the sand is I can’t be bothered arguing when I’ve established there is a clear bias on both sides that drives ones argument

What’s the point, we aren’t going to agree anyway

You’ve a clear bias to yesteryear and I’ve a clear bias to the modern era.

Pretty clear line in the sand here - we can put to bed whatever debate we have and leave it and that.

I genuinely cannot believe anyone would suggest Pele or Maradona would be anywhere near GOAT talks, but that is absolutely a symptom of our individual biases. Jordan vs LeBron is different to Wilt or KAJ.

The point on Bradman is a good one, I still disagree that Matthews would’ve scaled to the ability of the modern game and been as far ahead today as he was then, but I do also take the point many have made that being that far ahead during an era is a pretty good measure for your standing in the game.
I don’t have a bias for yesteryear because I wasn’t around in yesteryear. It’s just silly to dismiss someone’s ability vs a modern player because their games weren’t recorded in HD.

I worked in Europe for one of the largest football organisations in the world and you would’ve been absolutely rinsed for suggesting Pele (whose stats are completely misrepresented) was anywhere near these conversations

My line in the sand is I can’t be bothered arguing when I’ve established there is a clear bias on both sides that drives ones argument

You haven't established anything. You've just stated your opinion and told us that it's a fact.

31 disposals and only 395m gained. It just isn't that much. He isn't very damaging with a lot of his disposals.
12 miss-kicks when the pies were up and about, then seemed to sink underneath the turf when the going got tough?

Seriously where did he disappear to? was N Daicos on the ground in the second half except for an OOBOTF that I remember ?
Then he ran straight OOB in his own forward line to avoid contact late ? That was seriously embarrassing.

Don’t get me wrong, cream on top players have their place, but GOAT is laughable.

Why has this thread not been deleted already?

I don’t understand how you can say Ablett snr is possibly GOAT but Mathew’s not when their careers actually overlapped so much.
I mean Mathew’s kicked nearly 300goals in the four seasons he played after Ablett’s debut season. Do you really think the game changed that much from the start of Ablett’s career to the end?

12 miss-kicks when the pies were up and about, then seemed to sink underneath the turf when the going got tough?

Seriously where did he disappear to? was N Daicos on the ground in the second half except for an OOBOTF that I remember ?
Then he ran straight OOB in his own forward line to avoid contact late ? That was seriously embarrassing.

Don’t get me wrong, cream on top players have their place, but GOAT is laughable.

Why has this thread not been deleted already?
Yeah that OOB move didn’t look great for whispers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the Pies but his reputation far outweighs his ability. Not a ruthless killer like the genuine superstars of the game. And never will be either.

It’s a shame because he has talent and is a fantastic role model. Wonder what he’s worth on the current market? A top ten pick plus a top 15 pick? Pies would be crazy not to consider it…

I don’t understand how you can say Ablett snr is possibly GOAT but Mathew’s not when their careers actually overlapped so much.
I mean Mathew’s kicked nearly 300goals in the four seasons he played after Ablett’s debut season. Do you really think the game changed that much from the start of Ablett’s career to the end?
Yeah I do, I think the sport was much more amateurish during Leigh’s early career, and only towards the end did it become a fully fledged professional career.

I also just believe that Ablett Senior was a much better player.

This is just my opinion though

I’m beginning to see why Pies fans get so salty in here, the pile on after a bad game is absurd

He’s going to podium in the Brownlow and AFLCA in his third year, after doing so (or going close, can’t recall) in his second too

Do kicks off the ground in congestion count as a contested possession? He tried about half a dozen of those tonight. Was so scared of contact at one point he preferred to give away a blatant out of bounds walking over the boundary line before he got tackled
Yep, it sure does. Inflates that stat so much its ridiculous.

I’m beginning to see why Pies fans get so salty in here, the pile on after a bad game is absurd

He’s going to podium in the Brownlow and AFLCA in his third year, after doing so (or going close, can’t recall) in his second too
No he isn't. Bont Heeney Cripps serong will all end up on more.

Back