Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 166 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 414 71.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It just shows how good the kid is when he was still one of our best players in a disappointing loss, and it took three players to rotate through him to quell his influence.

So a 21 year old who was one of him team's best players, and it's a 'down game' where he cops the criticism that he has tonight....

And yes - 3rd in both the Brownlow and AFLCA Coaches Award despite missing the final 3 games, and 2nd in the AFLPA MVP.

So, we are back to the age of a player now?

It’s jarring when you see the GOAT spud it up like last night and then you see a gun like Harley Reid in his first year carving up.

I liaten to the media go into a frenzy over Daicos. He is not a class above the top 10. Its not like he's a Michael Jordan of the current era.
The Daicos’ Josh and Nick are a carefully cultivated public image, where their football abilities are undeniable but it is managed media wise for maximum financial benefit.

The mix of playing for a massive club like Collingwood, being brothers in the same team doubles the references, sons of a legendary player, an AFL premiership, a click hungry AFL/Ch 7 desperate for exposure and revenue streams post Covid, model girlfriend influencers, ambassadorship roles like the Grand Prix, social media presence… it’s a perfect mix.

And good on them, wouldn’t we all do the same if we had the football skills and managerial advice.

But it does mean that media are even more reticent to not pump up their tyres in fear of being ostracised, they are no doubt directed to talk them up on everything, and criticise nothing. So when their flaws are not being pointed out (ie hard ball efforts, kicking efficiency for two), then the generic football following public start to believe that there are none.

I wish my teams midfielders “bad game” was 12 Clearances! Far out, tall poppy syndrome.

I'd rather a player that is selfless, puts his body on the line for the team

But if you are putting a player on the podium before they have actually qualified for the race, then you need to absorb the criticism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How anyone could come away from that game and say he was 'one of our best players' is astonishing. That was one of the worst 30+ disposal games I've ever seen. Squibbed contests galore, terrible kicking all night, weak tackle attempts, a dozen scrubbers off the deck because there was oncoming traffic, non stop squealing to umps about copping a bit of attention and a few absolute howlers like the stiff arm dismissal and deliberate out of bounds.

If that's the 'future GOAT' the league is in serious danger of folding

How anyone could come away from that game and say he was 'one of our best players' is astonishing. That was one of the worst 30+ disposal games I've ever seen. Squibbed contests galore, terrible kicking all night, weak tackle attempts, a dozen scrubbers off the deck because there was oncoming traffic, non stop squealing to umps about copping a bit of attention and a few absolute howlers like the stiff arm dismissal and deliberate out of bounds.

If that's the 'future GOAT' the league is in serious danger of folding
He was one of our best players

I'd rather a player that is selfless, puts his body on the line for the team

But if you are putting a player on the podium before they have actually qualified for the race, then you need to absorb the criticism

There’s no perfect players, I don’t believe, maybe you can tell me one?
Not here to stick up for Daicos, just think everyone is waiting for him to stuff up, but I don’t think last night was that time.

Not here to stick up for Daicos, just think everyone is waiting for him to stuff up, but I don’t think last night was that time.
But that's exactly the thing.

They've piled on after last night's game, as they know that is as poor a performance as he's likely to put out there.

Check out the lack of activity from the same posters over the previous two months...

Generally I wouldnt think the 'greatest of all time' would have too many absolute stinkers like Nicky last night. He would have had to change his undies half a dozen times over the 4qtrs.
Would hardly call his game last night a stinker. He definately wont be getting any votes but was still one of the Pies better players. Shows how high everyones expecations are in his 3rd season.

Start a thread to anoint a player as a possible goat, that has played 2 seasons, the debate will rage both ways

Last edited:
I think he was genuinely very poor (by his own standards) last night but I couldn’t agree more with your sentiment

I’m an enormous fan of Sam Walsh and in his 3rd year he had 30 brownlow votes, but I can remember him having a down game here or there that season too

I doubt he is immune to criticism internally, there were three aerial contests I noticed that he didn’t try hard enough in and the Pies will discuss it internally and he’ll be better for it

Don’t get it, when I was 15 I used to think Ablett was a cheap player but that opinion died with my immaturity. Now I just enjoy watching oppo stars (as long as they aren’t tearing up Carlton)

Very typical Australian thing I suppose

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back