Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 167 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 414 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

arrow The proviso I would add to the Sheezel stats you put up is comparing Daicos year 1 with Sheezel year 2 has some merit because Daicos started his career 9 months older but you need also to make allowance for the few months of age, the 2 AFL preseason to 1 and the 23 games Sheezel played year 1 once you compare season Daicos 1 with Sheezel 2.

This is true and it’s been the only real discussion point from those in the negative. It’s also not a bad point as Sheezel is doing remarkable things. Add JUH, Reid, Ashcroft (without the acl) and even Wardlaw and there are some 1st , 2nd and 3rd year players who are influencing games way beyond what their years suggest. To me it’s pretty hard to make a case Daicos isn’t leading this pack
We aren't here to circle jerk about how good Nick is, thats pretty much your job.
We are here to point out the good and bad things in his game such as missing targets and avoiding contact.
Don't expect our position on this to change until those flaws get addressed.
Just remember, it's a thread about being the potential GOAT. The thread owner confirmed that the thread will remain open to " track his progress" which, to me, means that Nick is going to continue to be under the microscope on a weekly basis. Hate our thoughts and ideas all you like, but too bad.

Young player form lines have ebbs and flow, plenty of time for them to stamp themselves on a, consistent basis
I think that’s the difference these kids have. They are not having ebbs and flows. They are immediately playing like senior players. I think the thing is they are professional and relentless. They hunt the ball and contests like A grade senior players. I haven’t seen a group arrive and do this before. Walsh I would say has been similar.

This you?
Yeah, whilst reading the embarassing post game pile on, predominantly by envious Bagger fans, after a down game.

GOATcos is now playing as the Pies main inside mid, and Essendon did well in stopping him converting his inside dominance into transition and scoring opportunities.

arrow The proviso I would add to the Sheezel stats you put up is comparing Daicos year 1 with Sheezel year 2 has some merit because Daicos started his career 9 months older but you need also to make allowance for the few months of age, the 2 AFL preseason to 1 and the 23 games Sheezel played year 1 once you compare season Daicos 1 with Sheezel 2.

I've made a numer of allowances.

Right now Sheezel is 2-3 months older compared to Goatie in 2022 at the same period

Goatie would have been spending a number of preseasons at the club, similar to the academy boys

While Sheezel's numbers are better, I have stated that Goatie seems more driven, but somewhat selfish.

While Sheezel needs to work harder to improve getting from contest to contest

Not suggesting one is better than the other at the same age, but if we are talking about Goatie can and or will be the best of all time, then Sheezel should be in the conversation

Personally, I don't believe either will be in the conversation

Yeah, whilst reading the embarassing post game pile on, predominantly by envious Bagger fans, after a down game.

GOATcos is now playing as the Pies main inside mid, and Essendon did well in stopping him converting his inside dominance into transition and scoring opportunities.
Probably why he had 3 score involvements for the night. Guess scrubbing them off the deck isn't a good way of kickstarting a scoring chain after all.

I think that’s the difference these kids have. They are not having ebbs and flows. They are immediately playing like senior players. I think the thing is they are professional and relentless. They hunt the ball and contests like A grade senior players. I haven’t seen a group arrive and do this before. Walsh I would say has been similar.

All players will have lean patches/period, but most have very high floors

This thread has gone really weird last few days with the concentration on one of NDs lesser games. It makes no difference t the discussion. All players have lesser days. It wasn’t a shocker, he was still in Collingwoods best few which wasn’t that hard to do. The meat of the discussion is the stellar season he is having after his 1st 2 seasons have also been great ones.
The mustard on the meat is that lil sidestep out of bounds - that’s some English mustard!

Dumb And Dumber Ketchup GIF

We aren't here to circle jerk about how good Nick is, thats pretty much your job.
We are here to point out the good and bad things in his game such as missing targets and avoiding contact.
Don't expect our position on this to change until those flaws get addressed.
Just remember, it's a thread about being the potential GOAT. The thread owner confirmed that the thread will remain open to " track his progress" which, to me, means that Nick is going to continue to be under the microscope on a weekly basis. Hate our thoughts and ideas all you like, but too bad.
Me I am loving it. Don’t ask me not to be critical of opinions that I think are biased against him. GOAT is a long way off but no one of recent times has a record in season 3 thats better.
The mustard on the meat is that lil sidestep out of bounds - that’s some English mustard!

Dumb And Dumber Ketchup GIF
I prefer this side step

Last edited:
He is nothing like Matt Rowell, don't make us laugh.

Ruck receives, free kicks, loose ball gets. Would make up probably 70-80% of his 'contested' possessions.
Yeah not fair to compare to Rowell, who is a great inside mid and the umpires fav (most frees for this year).

Since GOATcos was moved to primary inside mid role once Mitchell and DeGoey went down, GOATcos avg 9 clearances and 17 contested possessions, nobody else comes close atm.

That is peak Fyfe/Oliver style numbers, (GAJ and Bont never had seasons at those numbers) and it is just GOATcos' 3rd season!!

Right now Sheezel is 2-3 months older compared to Goatie in 2022 at the same period

Goatie would have been spending a number of preseasons at the club, similar to the academy boys

While Sheezel's numbers are better, I have stated that Goatie seems more driven, but somewhat selfish.

Not suggesting one is better than the other at the same age, but if we are talking about Goatie can and or will be the best of all time, then Sheezel should be in the conversation

Obviously a long way too go so its a very premature question. Apart from going back to Gordon Coventry Collingwood dont really have a player who is likely to end a legend in the HOF let alone being in the GOAT discussion. Greening may have been. We dont have anyone in the AFL best ever team. Carlton cover us in this area. Nick Daicos is the 1st player I have seen, apart from Greening, who seems to have that potential. And potential is a dirty word.

Notwithstanding the fact we have had multiple media personalities and sites asking the exact same question over the course of this season - 'Can he be the greatest player of all time'.
Don't take that much credence in media opinion, but when they start sharing some facts/stats, it can be interesting

The boys from, on the couch, just did a comparison of the first 39 games for both Sheezel and Goatie, and stated Sheezel has been as good, if not better

They did forget to mention he is a year younger

Tic toc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't take that much credence in media opinion, but when they start sharing some facts/stats, it can be interesting

The boys from, on the couch, just did a comparison of the first 39 games for both Sheezel and Goatie, and stated Sheezel has been as good, if not better

They did forget to mention he is a year younger

Tic toc
The name and the club helps Nick get attention. Still if you dont realise Sheezel is extraordinary you havent been paying attention.

Yeah not fair to compare to Rowell, who is a great inside mid and the umpires fav (most frees for this year).

Since GOATcos was moved to primary inside mid role once Mitchell and DeGoey went down, GOATcos avg 9 clearances and 17 contested possessions, nobody else comes close atm.

That is peak Fyfe/Oliver style numbers, (GAJ and Bont never had seasons at those numbers) and it is just GOATcos' 3rd season!!
Right... Since He switched to inside mid... Which he did before the season started and has played all bar 1 game on ball - when he got moved to to half back because he was such a liability defensively at stoppage.

But keep trying to bend facts to support ur blind love for Nicky

I don’t think the contest to contest stuff is a problem.

Unless you mean the speed at which he does it?

Sheezel ran a 1050 Yo-Yo and ran a 5:52 in his draft year.

Hes got a top 1% tank in the competition, he just cruises along at his own speed.

I don’t think the contest to contest stuff is a problem.

Unless you mean the speed at which he does it?

Sheezel ran a 1050 Yo-Yo and ran a 5:52 in his draft year.

Hes got a top 1% tank in the competition, he just cruises along at his own speed.

Perhaps it's a perceived lack of urgency at times, but I wouldn't say it's a concern in his game

Lost a lot of respect some posters in this thread. Some sad individuals. Just blatant trolling that is not held accountable. For what it is worth, no Nick is not the GOAT, Nick is not close to the GOAT, but he is doing things at a level that very few 21 olds have ever done before. Does this mean he could be the GOAT, of course it does. If he sustains this level for 15 years, would be well in the conversation. He would be beyond any Brownlow votes, coaches votes etc that anyone in the history of the game has. He has had more impact on winning games than many have over their entire careers. Won't be posting in here again, just some really sad trolling and some really sad individuals who run around targeting a 21-year-old due to The colour of his jumper. You don't mind those that present decent facts but the trolling in here has got out of control. Enjoy spending your lives running to a Nick Daicos thread trying to troll.

The comment was made in a banter thread. Blocked. No interest in your blatant trolls anymore.

Moral high ground. I have always acknowledged the Carlton greats such as Jezza, Doull, Williams and Cripps. I have often named Johnston as one of the great finals players ever. I have always acknowledged the greats of the game no matter what club. Raise some good factual points in this thread and I will happily respond but you know that there is blatant trolling in this thread and you know which Carlton posters are responsible. You are better than that Arrow. Far better.

Come hard but come with facts not the blatant biased bs trolling that is in this thread.

I am not referring to you. I am referring to the blatant trolls. Believe it or not I actually rate you as a poster. Some others in here have lost me.
Given your stance on blatant trolling I expect you'll be calling out some Collingwood trolls (you know who they are) in this and other threads.

Right... Since He switched to inside mid... Which he did before the season started and has played all bar 1 game on ball - when he got moved to to half back because he was such a liability defensively at stoppage.

But keep trying to bend facts to support ur blind love for Nicky
It is all pretty clear and tracked through centre bounce attendances.

1st year, sparingly used at all - the knock on GOATcos was he gets too much easy ball.

2nd year, introduced to CBs, but only had 4 games where he attended 70% of CBs (one was the GF).

3rd year, first 7 games only had 2 games when GOATcos was at 70% of CBs. But from R8 he was given the keys, and has attended 70-80% of CBs every week (as Mitchell and DeGoey aint been playing). As a kid who had just played 50 games, he has broken CP and clearance records and become the best stoppage player in the game.

And now the envious Bagger argument has come full circle and getting more contested ball and clearances then any other players in the game is garbage, because his DE was low!!

3rd year, first 7 games only had 2 games when GOATcos was at 70% of CBs. But from R8 he was given the keys, and has attended 70-80% of CBs every week (as Mitchell and DeGoey aint been playing). As a kid who had just played 50 games, he has broken CP and clearance records and become the best stoppage player in the game.
Right... Remind me what position on the field would typically see 70% CBA? Just because he's increased his CBA's due to injury doesn't mean he wasn't playing midfield before that lmao.

Also... Remind me what records he's broken lmao? He's not even leading the league in either one atm. Cripps is leading in both :tearsofjoy:

Keep trying to bend reality Dopple... It's quite hilarious.

1st year, sparingly used at all - the knock on GOATcos was he gets too much easy ball.

2nd year, introduced to CBs, but only had 4 games where he attended 70% of CBs (one was the GF).

And now the envious Bagger argument has come full circle and getting more contested ball and clearances then any other players in the game is garbage, because his DE was low!!

He's not the best stoppage player in the league, not by the stats anyway

Right... Remind me what position on the field would typically see 70% CBA? Just because he's increased his CBA's due to injury doesn't mean he wasn't playing midfield before that lmao.
Inside midfielders.

If you are just rolling in off HB or playing on the wing as an outside link up players you wont have many CBAs.

From R8, GOATcos was given the keys to become Collingwood's #1 inside midfielder.

Also... Remind me what records he's broken lmao? He's not even leading the league in either one atm. Cripps is leading in both :tearsofjoy:
Since becoming the #1 inside midfielder, GOATcos has had a game with 27 contested possessions - he has had 7 of his 9 games with over 15 CPs. In his first 54 games he only had over 15 CPs 5 times.

Similar with clearnaces, since becoming #1 inside midfielder, he has had a game with 16 clearances - and had 7 of his 9 games with 7 or more clearances. In his first 54 games he only had 7 or more clearances 9 times.

Crippa aint had 27 CPs or 16 clearances in a game this year...no shame really, as GOATcos is special.

Keep trying to bend reality Dopple... It's quite hilarious.
No bending required, since being played as a #1 inside mid, GOATcos has shown he is the best stoppage player in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back