Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No they’re very similar.

And that is without considering the overlay of Nick playing in a top team surrounded by experience and cheezles playing in a spoon team surrounded by inexperience.
Agree but you still havent answered the question that is the crux of this argument. Include Sheezel as well. Can you name any modern great, or any modern player, that has had as good a first 2 years as Harry or Nick? I can't

Agree but you still havent answered the question that is the crux of this argument. Include Sheezel as well. Can you name any modern great, or any modern player, that has had as good a first 2 years as Harry or Nick? I can't

My definition of ‘modern’ is from when I saw my first tv as a young boy back in 1956 in the arcade shopping window. Is this what you mean by modern? So I will have a think back to the greats who have played in the modern era and will get back to you in due course.

We've previously heard in this thread there are definitely two players - John Coleman and Haydn Bunton - though they were both a year or so older than Nick when they started their respective VFL careers.

Open to learning of others.

You need to stop flipping, is it based on what a player achieves or is it based on age or both?

My definition of ‘modern’ is from when I saw my first tv as a young boy back in 1956 in the arcade shopping window. Is this what you mean by modern? So I will have a think back to the greats who have played in the modern era and will get back to you in due course.
So you're acknowledging the challenge of finding anyone in the professional/equalisation era, so you've got to reach further back to find some examples?

Interesting.

Yep. I dont go back quite as far but close. Matthews is my GOAT. Greening is the only player I have come up with that was as good at such a young age. You may find another 1 or 2 but I reckon they are very rare.

Yep. I dont go back quite as far but close. Matthews is my GOAT. Greening is the only player I have come up with that was as good at such a young age. You may find another 1 or 2 but I reckon they are very rare.

Chris Judd was pretty good. Third in B&F in a finals team

Chris Judd was pretty good. Third in B&F in a finals team
Yeah Judds one of the closer ones and did explode season 3. He is a bit of the poster boy for great young players cause he was so good early but his 1st 2 seasons are clearly behind Daicos/Sheezel for mine.

Yeah Judds one of the closer ones and did explode season 3. He is a bit of the poster boy for great young players cause he was so good early but his 1st 2 seasons are clearly behind Daicos/Sheezel for mine.

I think the difference was position. He played a different position to D and S. D and S played a position which can be high impact but also accumulates for the stats sheet.

Taking a helicopter view, I have him in the same category.

I think the difference was position. He played a different position to D and S. D and S played a position which can be high impact but also accumulates for the stats sheet.

Taking a helicopter view, I have him in the same category.
Fair call. His second season was when he had that 5 goal match against the Lions on their home deck when they were at their strongest. He was amazing that day. 50 goals in his 1st 2 seasons. So if he is the player who more than any jumps out as the recent great young player Sheezel and Daicos are in pretty good company.

Another who was pretty good was the other 35. Started as a 17 yo and kicked 76 goals from a HFF as a 19yo. Still I reckon ND will be better.

That’s ok at least now you know.

Cheezles from North is as good as Daicos playing in a spoon team with no support.

I mean I’m all for this thread, it’s like moths to a flame.

So you are saying Nathan Buckley was far better than Michael Voss

He looks scared & plays scared
Does a panic dump kick or runs out of bounds at the slightest hint of body contact
Proper natural mids relish taking the tackler on, not Nicky
That is why he can never ever be in any serious conversation for goat
Brilliant hbf but not a natural mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we wait to the end of the season and look how his coaches' votes, and Brownlow votes stack up against any third-year player in history. Then we will look at his average Brownlow votes per game and how that stacks up against the greats even though they have had their peak. I think we will find Nick is setting many records.

Where did I say that?

Well Buckley played in a team with no support, carried a team on his own whilst Voss had the support of Black, Power, Lappin and Aker. By your Daicos and Sheezel logic Buckley is far better than Voss.

Well Buckley played in a team with no support, carried a team on his own whilst Voss had the support of Black, Power, Lappin and Aker. By your Daicos and Sheezel logic Buckley is far better than Voss.

Hmm if I recall correctly I think Figjam played for Brisbane in his first year, pies top 8 team second year and middle of the pack pies time in his third.

Hardly the same comp to one of the worst teams in history in North.

I don't think he's ever done a 'panic dump kick' in his career.
Haha
13 effective disposals from 31 possies
That’s a lot of panicked ineffective disposals for the goat in just one game
I’ve seen him run the ball out & have deliberate paid multiple times
Ps he ran the ball out because he is too scared to take on the tackler
Watch Reid or Jhf
They love taking on the tackler
Nd is not a natural mid
He is very hesitant and uncomfortable in heavy traffic & looks like a timid scaredy cat compared to some of the young bulls

How about we wait to the end of the season and look how his coaches' votes, and Brownlow votes stack up against any third-year player in history. Then we will look at his average Brownlow votes per game and how that stacks up against the greats even though they have had their peak. I think we will find Nick is setting many records.
Current rankings are as follows:
Haydn Bunton - 1.04
Graham Moss - 0.95
Nick Daicos - 0.93
Nat Fyfe - 0.90

Blosers always comparing to Harry Sheezel like it’s some sort of trump card, and not acknowledging that Collingwood supporters love Harry Sheezel and believe he is an absolute superstar of the game. Both he and Daicos have set themselves up from the get go to two of the truly top players we’ve ever seen

Haha
13 effective disposals from 31 possies
That’s a lot of panicked ineffective disposals for the goat in just one game
I’ve seen him run the ball out & have deliberate paid multiple times
Ps he ran the ball out because he is too scared to take on the tackler
Watch Reid or Jhf
They love taking on the tackler
Nd is not a natural mid
He is very hesitant and uncomfortable in heavy traffic & looks like a timid scaredy cat compared to some of the young bulls
All I will say that if you associate Nick Daicos with 'panic dumped kicks', you either don't understand the game or assess his game from last weekend's stats sheet.

If there is a player with better vision, decision making and disposal in the game, I'm yet to see them.

His 'efficiency' numbers may currently be down due to the role he's playing, but also due to the fact he regularly takes on a kick or handball that many other players wouldn't even see, let alone try to execute.

All I will say that if you associate Nick Daicos with 'panic dumped kicks', you either don't understand the game or assess his game from last weekend's stats sheet.

If there is a player with better vision, decision making and disposal in the game, I'm yet to see them.

His 'efficiency' numbers may currently be down due to the role he's playing, but also due to the fact he regularly takes on a kick or handball that many other players wouldn't even see, let alone try to execute.
I understand the game
I don’t watch the woods every week but did watch v dons
What I saw was a bloke scared of body contact who panic dumps the ball under the slightest hint of body contact.
I watch butters, rozee & jhf most weeks & those three love taking the tackler on
About a dozen times nd got a loose ball in the guts and being used to watching proper mids, I expected him to take the tackler on
Instead he ran around in a circle and panicked
Not a true proper mid
Brilliant with space, but in tight he is well below average

It's amazing how people overlook the fact the day Nick Daicos walked in the door at Collingwood, they had just finished 17th and were bound for minimum 5 years in the bottom 4 due to the issues with their list.

For those who disagree with me, or fail to recall, go back and read the posts between August 2021 and March 2022...

'But, but, but...Nick has benefited from playing in a top team...'

Very strange comment this one.

2018 - GF
2019 - Prelim
2020 - Semi

With the exact list that you had when Nick entered.

You had a horror 2021, absolutely. But thats it.

Your list is way worse in 2024 than it is in any of those years. He has walked into a very very good team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back